Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Re: Anyone built a Zonk Machine fuzz?

Post by Miza »

Sounds great. Love fuzzes that splutter out like that. Nice work.
Nothing to see here.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Reg18 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:29 pm Zonk MK2 prototype, bias and bass additional to the standard swell and gain

Love the use of the tagboard. Sounds great too!
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Should have some stand offs arriving today so will be doing some assembly. This project is getting out of hand now though, Im really determined to make a proper folded steel cheese slice shape enclosure which looks like an expensive one off situation, anyone interested in some old Tone Bender/Zonk Machine enclosures?
I am probably going to make them
Smaller so can be used on a pedal board but the same look, will be cheaper to do a run of 10-20. I was only building this for me but it’s adding up fast!

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Zonk Machine fuzz, trouble shooting help needed!

Post by Reg18 »

Been working on a germainium pnp lovepedal Tchula boost to go with the Zonk Machine but having some issues. As you can hear it sounds fine but it cuts out when engaging or disengaging. I’m
A novice at pedal building so hoping some more knowledgeable people can offer some tips.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Reg18 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm Should have some stand offs arriving today so will be doing some assembly. This project is getting out of hand now though, Im really determined to make a proper folded steel cheese slice shape enclosure which looks like an expensive one off situation, anyone interested in some old Tone Bender/Zonk Machine enclosures?
Smaller so can be used on a pedal board but the same look, will be cheaper to do a run of 10-20. I was only building this for me but it’s adding up fast!
Might be interested. How much you thinking for the enclosure?
Nothing to see here.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Miza wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:22 am
Reg18 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 pm Should have some stand offs arriving today so will be doing some assembly. This project is getting out of hand now though, Im really determined to make a proper folded steel cheese slice shape enclosure which looks like an expensive one off situation, anyone interested in some old Tone Bender/Zonk Machine enclosures?
No idea yet as I still
Need to make up a design file to send through to them but there is a setup fee for making an enclosure so might as well make a few. What do you think about doing a smaller more pedal board friendly one? I was thinking something like this https://www.stratgear.com/index.php?id_ ... &id_lang=1

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Reg18 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:33 pm

Been working on a germainium pnp lovepedal Tchula boost to go with the Zonk Machine but having some issues. As you can hear it sounds fine but it cuts out when engaging or disengaging. I’m
A novice at pedal building so hoping some more knowledgeable people can offer some tips.
I think it might be your switch tbh - have you got another kicking around?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

TmcB wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:45 am
Reg18 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:33 pm

I think it might be your switch tbh - have you got another kicking around?
Hadn’t even considered that as it’s new out of the box, I’ll give that a go.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Reg18 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:29 am
No idea yet as I still
Need to make up a design file to send through to them but there is a setup fee for making an enclosure so might as well make a few. What do you think about doing a smaller more pedal board friendly one? I was thinking something like this https://www.stratgear.com/index.php?id_ ... &id_lang=1
Yeah that's cool. I like the look of those enclosures, but agree they take up too much room for a pedal I will probably seldom use.
I'd probably be keen. Haven't delved into making fuzzes yet, but will do once I stumble onto a cache of vintage Ge transistors :lol:
Nothing to see here.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Yep hard to find cheap germainium, I’ll be getting some Russian ones in at some point to see how they sound but the ones in this Zonk sound really good and I’m
Not even sure what they are.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Miza wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:03 am
Reg18 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:29 am
No idea yet as I still
Yeah that's cool. I like the look of those enclosures, but agree they take up too much room for a pedal I will probably seldom use.
I'd probably be keen. Haven't delved into making fuzzes yet, but will do once I stumble onto a cache of vintage Ge transistors :lol:
Weird how there's a delay and then the sounds kicks back in. Connection issues are usually either it works or it doesn't... (in my limited experience).
I've got an issue with a tremolo I've just built. You can just hear a bit of the sound bleeding through the circuit, but very quiet. I suspect it might be my transistors.
[Oops, quoted the wrong post]
Nothing to see here.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

[/quote]
Weird how there's a delay and then the sounds kicks back in. Connection issues are usually either it works or it doesn't... (in my limited experience).
I've got an issue with a tremolo I've just built. You can just hear a bit of the sound bleeding through the circuit, but very quiet. I suspect it might be my transistors.
[/quote]

It almost feels like a capacitor recharging or similar.
Not sure if that’s a thing?

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Reg18 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:50 am
[/quote]

It almost feels like a capacitor recharging or similar.
Not sure if that’s a thing?
[/quote]

So you’re on the right track I think.

My first thought was input/output caps being flaky but the big pop when you were engaging/disengaging makes me think that a) the switch needs input grounding and/or the switch is crap and the pop/fade in is from crappy contacts inside the switch jittering and settling in. Could try contact cleaner in the switch too.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

How does this look for a mini tone bender enclosure template?
Can anyone see any potential issues I’m
Missing? Also I am a complete novice with drawing up a vector file of this so if anyone is keen I’d love to hear from you.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Did you use a pull down resistor on the input and output?