Where is the best place to get my pedal fixed?

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Voxshall
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Where is the best place to get my pedal fixed?

Post by Voxshall »

I accidentally fed my TC Electronic Boost Line Dist pedal power with two polarity reverse adaptors instead of one and now it's producing large amounts of static, where is the place to get this fixed in Auckland?

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Where is the best place to get my pedal fixed?

Post by StratMatt »

If you don't find anyone in Auckland, Waylon in Tauranga would be the man for the job. McPherson Stompboxes.
Loving it so far

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Gabriel audio might do it, he’s on FB
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

That should just be an issue of changing the diode and possibly the first electrolytic or 2. I've got the parts you can have if you've got the iron and you can do it yourself in 20 minutes.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

a 5 cent diode in the correct place would prevent this even being problem - TC should know better.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Could you explain? Most pedals have a polarity protection diode that shorts the circuit if the wrong polarity is used, like here. Seems like the diode did its job and hopefully saved the rest of the circuit.

Are you saying it's possible to just block any incoming current of the wrong polarity? If so, how?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

NippleWrestler wrote:Could you explain? Most pedals have a polarity protection diode that shorts the circuit if the wrong polarity is used, like here. Seems like the diode did its job and hopefully saved the rest of the circuit.

Are you saying it's possible to just block any incoming current of the wrong polarity? If so, how?
Yes, same like a solid state bridge rectifier comprising 2 or 4 diodes. Just put one in series between the + supply and the + circuit. There will be a small voltage drop. Obviously the diode polarity is important when putting it in the circuit.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

If voltage headroom is important (which it usually is for a boost pedal) then the diode in series is usually changed a diode reversed across the supply, usually in series with a low value high watt rated resistor. The diode+resistor soaks up reversed power if the supply is reversed, but will eventually cook. It's out of the circuit when the supply is correct.

In this case the cooked parts probably shorted out the supply input can can be chopped off the board to get it going again. But yeah, there wont be reverse voltage protection anymore.