Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

NPD: Fuzzboy v3

Post by NippleWrestler »

Fuzzboy v3.

And after 2 days troubleshooting it's a NPD. This is vaguely a Ritual/Meathead/Colorsound fuzz but running some different stuff based on what I had. Instead of being a one knob I added a super basic tone control (just a 0.047uf cap to ground on a pot) and a voltage starve to get more bitty (copied from Zvex except with a 50k pot because that's what I have). I also added a pull down resistor which isn't in any of the originals and stops the switch popping when it's engaged. That's a rather simple mod, just add a big resistor (1m, 1.5m ish) between input and ground (not 9v and ground) and it stops those pops.

Behold the mess of veroboard that is a fuzz pedal:

It sounds super good. Like a muff with some midrange. And since I now almost know what I'm doing with the soldering iron this one is a lot quieter than v1 and v2.

Note: Don't use that cap and resistor in the top of the enclosure between the jacks. I wanted to reduce some of the RF that was poking in, and while it does do that, it also reduces the treble for the entire circuit engaged or not. I realised I basically hardwired a tone control across the input and output because I'm not actually that smart. I just clipped it out and all is well.

I now appreciate PCBs a lot more but there's something special about making something literally from scratch than just painting by the numbers.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Re: NPD: Fuzzboy v3

Post by Cdog »

Lovin the artwork man.