NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

NPD: The Warm Gateau

Post by NippleWrestler »

It's a Hot cake clone but uses a TL071 instead of whatever Paul uses (LM748 maybe?).

I've owned precisely 4 hot cakes in my time and never really 'got' them. But my last one was years ago and instead of dropping the money on something I wasn't sure about, I built one which means I can mod it down the line if need be.

This is a super simple pedal to build:

The only relatively tricky thing is the IC socket but even that is pretty straight forward if you're handy with a soldering iron. As you can see there's not a lot going on on the board itself, just a handful of components and it doesn't even use the whole switch, so you could use a DPDT and be perfectly fine.

It sounds like a cake. I think I like it more on a pushed clean channel than on a clean setting. Somewhat fuzzy, a little saggy, quite vintage.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1315 times
Been liked: 869 times

Re: NPD: The Warm Gateau

Post by MikeC »

Hot Cake/Warm Gateau - sounds like an interesting recipe!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

When you look at the price of boutique pedals it's got to be worth giving something like this a go. I've got a 70w soldering iron. Should get it done in half the time. :-)

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Molly wrote:When you look at the price of boutique pedals it's got to be worth giving something like this a go. I've got a 70w soldering iron. Should get it done in half the time. :-)
That's part of it, but it's also good fun and as creative as you want it to be. Btw a 70w might kill many components unless you can control the temp. It might be too hot.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

NippleWrestler wrote:
Molly wrote:When you look at the price of boutique pedals it's got to be worth giving something like this a go. I've got a 70w soldering iron. Should get it done in half the time. :-)
That's part of it, but it's also good fun and as creative as you want it to be. Btw a 70w might kill many components unless you can control the temp. It might be too hot.
That bit was a wee joke. It's my 'Strat claw earth connection' iron. Never gets used for anything else. :-)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Mike Clayton wrote:Hot Cake/Warm Gateau - sounds like an interesting recipe!
Sounds even better when playing Cream....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.