NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Easy project: modded SHO

Post by NippleWrestler »

The whole thing fits on a 12x9 piece of veroboard and fits reasonably comfortably in a 1590a enclosure.

What a great pedal. It's a boost/OD pedal. It'll give you a nice tubey breakup on the clean channel and beef up your drive channel for leads or chugga chugga. I use it on a low gain setting and kick it in for an extra mode.

A pedal with this few components has no right to sound this good.

You can crank one of these out in an hour or two. The most time consuming part was drilling the holes in the enclosure and getting everything to fit snugly but once it's in there, it's a whole box of awesome.

I didn't follow the Zvex design on acocunt of me not having the precise components in my bag of leftovers. I changed the diode, the transistor, a capacitor, the pot, and left out the 2k2 resistor because I wire my LED clr by the switch (and use a 4k7 anyway), and it's what I had. As a result, I'm not sure how close this is to factory spec but I love it either way. It's way more useful than the Friedman clone.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

Re: Easy project: modded SHO

Post by Reg18 »

I have all the bits to make this somewhere in my parts draw, I even bought the reverse log 5k pot and everything!
This might just be the inspiration I need to give it a go.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Interested, can you please post a link to the circuit diagram?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Reg18 wrote:I have all the bits to make this somewhere in my parts draw, I even bought the reverse log 5k pot and everything!
This might just be the inspiration I need to give it a go.
I didn't use one on account of not having one. Just edit the 5k1 resistor to match your pot value (whatever you have) and you'll be right. I used a B10k, and used a 10k resistor.

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

Stripboard FX building is awesome. Great way to learn heaps about electronics, pedal modding, and inexpensive home built boutique FX :)

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/ has layouts for over 1000 pedals !
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

I like what you've done with the enclosure finish. Looks like wring it up might have been a dog of a process - not much room to move in there - so top job!