Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Friedman BE:OD clone

Post by Molly »

NippleWrestler wrote:
Molly wrote:I doubt I have the skills for this but just out of interest what did it cost?
About a tenth of the retail price, for me.

The board was $8 USD, enclosure was $6. Parts are peanuts except the switch and jacks. I already had the soldering iron and all the hookup wire etc which absorbs the costs.

Shipping the boards is $9 USD but considering the pedal is $429 here it's a relative bargain.

I was in rockshop last week and the last 3 pedals I built (sea machine, hummingbird, hoof) amounted to $1100 ish. It's very cost effective to build once you get into it and also a lot of fun.
Holy crap. At that price I'd give it a go.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote:
NippleWrestler wrote:
Candeevr4 wrote:I've never seen a 7 knob enclosure readily available.
Riley Reid would probably give it a go!
FFS!!!! I googled that name... at work... :roll:

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

codedog wrote:
jeremyb wrote:FFS!!!! I googled that name... at work... :roll:
Do you think anything less of JB, especially when hes on withdrawls due to the cr@p aus internet?

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Candeevr4 wrote:
codedog wrote:
jeremyb wrote:FFS!!!! I googled that name... at work... :roll:
Do you think anything less of JB, especially when hes on withdrawls due to the cr@p aus internet?
Not at all, he's a top fella... I just forgot not to google things JB mentioned at work.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Overdrives are still value for money diy builds. Most of my builds cost $60- $80 NZD in parts depending on the circuit. Time and tools etc are additional. My Deluxe Memory Man clone will be at least $150 in parts alone when I eventually finish it. It's still a labour of love.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Cdog wrote:Overdrives are still value for money diy builds. Most of my builds cost $60- $80 NZD in parts depending on the circuit. Time and tools etc are additional. My Deluxe Memory Man clone will be at least $150 in parts alone when I eventually finish it. It's still a labour of love.
Really? Where are you buying your parts? Does the dmm need some nos wonderstuff?

My most complicate pedal was the sea machine chorus and even that wouldn't have been over $50.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Candeevr4 »

Im about 150 in parts for the Tempest kit, but then i only ordered just enough parts for the kit.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

How? Through tayda it cost me $60 to build 3 pedals last go around, including the Friedman clone.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Candeevr4 wrote:I have Aion's Be od/dirty shirley variation to build. That has 7 knobs as it has the mid that the dirty shirley has the BE OD doesnt.
My first build was the PedalPCB Brown Betty, which is a hybrid of the Friedman BE-OD and Dirty Shirley, more or less the BE-OD with an active mids control near the output. I moved the internal gain pot to the outside also just because why not.. I do need to build something that isn't a drive pedal though.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

chur wrote:
Candeevr4 wrote:I have Aion's Be od/dirty shirley variation to build. That has 7 knobs as it has the mid that the dirty shirley has the BE OD doesnt.
My first build was the PedalPCB Brown Betty, which is a hybrid of the Friedman BE-OD and Dirty Shirley, more or less the BE-OD with an active mids control near the output. I moved the internal gain pot to the outside also just because why not.. I do need to build something that isn't a drive pedal though.
Their woodpecker PCB is well worth building. It's a clone of the hummingbird and that's a really neat little pedal.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

NippleWrestler wrote:How? Through tayda it cost me $60 to build 3 pedals last go around, including the Friedman clone.
I'm always around $40-$70 for a drive depending on part count, PCB cost and whether all parts can come from Tayda. I have had to buy the odd thing from Smallbear or the Auz outfit that sells pedal bits.

I see when I did x4 builds last time my PedalPCB bill was $50USD, and the Tayda was $71USD, both after 15% off

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Candeevr4 »

chur wrote:
I think the tempest & Brown Betty are the same thing. :wink:

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Candeevr4 »

NippleWrestler wrote:How? Through tayda it cost me $60 to build 3 pedals last go around, including the Friedman clone.
I ordered pretty much everything from mouser & small bear.

Next time ill shop around a bit more..

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Tayda is cheap and cheerful, but I avoid them these days... I think they've gott'n worse. I've personally had quality issues with their toggle & stomp switches, various ICs, FETs and physically leaking electrolytic caps. Their pots and enclosures are still really good value however. For electronic parts, I tend to use Element14 or RS now. Also Paul at diyguitarpedals.com.au carries a few handy pedal parts too, including germanium transistors... plus cheap shipping.

Yeah the DMM requires 2x MN3005 plus a bunch of other stuff. Project is the madbean Total Recall if you're interested in the BOM.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

Cdog wrote: Tayda is cheap and cheerful, but I avoid them these days... I think they've gott'n worse. I've personally had quality issues with their toggle & stomp switches, various ICs, FETs and physically leaking electrolytic caps.
Crikey, touch wood I haven't had anything bad arrive or fail in service yet from there. I do buy their WIMA caps and branded electros etc to try and avoid issues, and measure / test everything before installing into the board.