Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Re: Pedal Building Resources

Post by Terexgeek »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:14 am I used to just rip off the rubber bottom part but thats not ideal either as I like to keep things original :lol:
:roll: :lol:
Tin arse!!

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:14 am
Miza wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:13 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:33 am Was looking for a replacement base plate for my DS-2 so I can run velcro on it and keep the original nice and fancy, I had been buying the Small Bear Electronics 125-B plates which fit and the Rockshop used to sell, but alas no more, and shipping from the US was a bit crazy, so quick google and I found these guys had genuine boss ones in stock: https://www.pedalpartsaustralia.com/ looks like they have a good supply of other boss parts like knobs, pots, etc too: https://www.pedalpartsaustralia.com/ind ... x&cPath=36
Have you tried just flicking the base plate around and attaching it back-to-front with the velcro stuck to the inside face?
Not sure if it works on all Boss pedals, but I've definitely seen Dan from TPS do it on YouTube.
I've tried this in the past and found the newer pedals the PCB is almost flush with the backing plate, so theres no space to do it, I used to just rip off the rubber bottom part but thats not ideal either as I like to keep things original :lol:
Fair enough.
Let us know how you get on with PedalPartsAus.com - been looking at their site too. They carry Alpha pots, etc.
Nothing to see here.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

Expect a long wait from Australia, Was perfectly happy with their stuff, and they had a good combination of things, but it took so long to get here. longer than almost anywhere else I order from.
b.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Snarblinge wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:45 pm Expect a long wait from Australia, Was perfectly happy with their stuff, and they had a good combination of things, but it took so long to get here. longer than almost anywhere else I order from.
I'm in no hurry thankfully, pedal sits fine on the board for now, not like I'm moving it around to gigs or anything :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Base plate arrived today from pedalparts, 13 days from order to delivery, got email yesterday from aussie post saying it was in customs, arrived in my mailbox today :thumbup:
Attachments
119539046_754568992033541_3164398548040878412_n.jpg
119539046_754568992033541_3164398548040878412_n.jpg (75.97 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

ImageAnyone got tips on finishing guitar pedals?
I had a go this week but I think I was a bit premature on letting the waterslide decal dry before applying the clear coat.
It crinkled in places and I couldn’t get it perfectly flat and looking transparent.
What do other people do for finishing?
I love the idea of getting a metal plate decal and applying it on a hammered paint finish. But I have no idea where to get the plates done for a one-off? Any suggestions?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

It started life like this, I think it is possible a Tez built one?

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

Ponoko.com or emblems / trophy places to get plates made up, I saw a diy engraving station at the pet store for dog tags which would work also. Or buy some aluminium sheet and a set of punches. Some out there etch plates on copper clad (intended for pcbs) or I now hand draw with paint pens. Sharpie water based paint pen is my fav, or molotow refillable markers which I have a growing collection of
b.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Another option are the Dymo/Brother style labellers :)

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Cdog wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:12 pm Another option are the Dymo/Brother style labellers :)
Have you done waterslide decals for pedals?
What’s the best way to apply them to get it perfectly flat without wrinkles?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Reg18 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:22 pm
Cdog wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:12 pm Another option are the Dymo/Brother style labellers :)
Have you done waterslide decals for pedals?
What’s the best way to apply them to get it perfectly flat without wrinkles?
Can depend on your decal stock, some films are really thin and flimsy... they're harder to get right. I prefer the slightly thicker type, more visible to a scrutinizing eye when finished, but way more forgiving to apply.

Once the colour paint is completely dry, I do one layer of clear-coat before applying the decal. I use toothpicks, tweezers and a saucer of water with the decals cut to size before I soak them. Once the decal is fully lifted from the paper, I wet the application surface to make alignment/adjustment easier once it's on. Allow the decal to dry completely, i.e. overnight in font of heatpump etc. Then a few more clear-coat layers. Haven't had many fails since I started doing it this way. :)

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Based on some recommendations on this forum, I bought the following soldering iron from AliExpress. Took a good couple months to arrive:
Iron 2 sm.jpg
Iron 2 sm.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 6328 times
I've only used it to repair an extension lead so far, but it heats up really fast and has heaps of accessories and tips. :thumbup:
Iron 1 sm.jpg
Iron 1 sm.jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 6328 times
Nothing to see here.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

And from the ridiculously fast shipping files, ordered this lot from Tayda (in Bangkok) on Tuesday and it arrived this arvo :shock:
Tayda 1.jpg
Tayda 1.jpg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 6328 times
Gonna attempt to make a TubeScreamer and a Timmy/JanRay clone (the latter is a Coda-Effects' Golden Hour OD circuit).
Tayda 2.jpg
Tayda 2.jpg (196.48 KiB) Viewed 6328 times
Nothing to see here.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I have the same iron, really great!

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

General noob electronics question:
Can I substitute a 510k ohm resistor for a 470k ohm resistor? Will it matter?
And likewise, a 51k for a 47k?
It's for a TS808 circuit. I could go to JayCar and buy the right ones, but can't be arsed making a special trip if it won't make a difference in the long run.
Nothing to see here.