ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1361 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Mini Booster

Post by GrantB »

Hi y'all....I'm looking to build one of these

http://www.cheeseblockseffects.com/Smal ... oster.html

Would appreciate any ideas or direction (looking over in rocklanders direction) - especially important is the size and the fact it is only a clean boost...I want no colouration.

Cheers
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

mjwhit
Stagg
Stagg

Re: Mini Booster

Post by mjwhit »

Hmm yea i was thinking of building one as well. this thread may likely be all the motivation I need. I will wait and see what the experienced guys have to say first though.

:D

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

How about the Bajaman Black Toast, it seems like a really nice boost / buffer in one package?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

What do you need to know?
Is it important that it is small or a specific size?
Are you buying the kit or looking for an equivalent schematic?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

jeremyb wrote:How about the Bajaman Black Toast, it seems like a really nice boost / buffer in one package?
I love mine.. you're welcome to try it out if you wish.. have made a couple now... am happy to do one for you (same deal as last time) if you like it, and it'd be noticeably less expensive than the klons (and the 1590B housing - ~½ the width of the klon - think mxr size)
http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... st#p232580
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2752
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1361 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Ash, sorry, to be clear, I was going to build something similar (so open to circuits and options) and the only must have to the circuit is that it needs to be small and transparent....other than that I am open...

rocklander - that looks gggrrreeaaat! And such a great simple design. So the boost is totally clean and without colouration in your view? Cheers, G.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Ash, sorry, to be clear, I was going to build something similar (so open to circuits and options) and the only must have to the circuit is that it needs to be small and transparent....other than that I am open...

rocklander - that looks gggrrreeaaat! And such a great simple design. So the boost is totally clean and without colouration in your view? Cheers, G.
yeah.. that seems to be the general consensus. to be fair it's the only boost I've tried so nothing to compare it to (hence my offer for you to try it), but Steve (bajaman) designed it with the specific intention of no colouration. he's a big fan of the (was it 2sk117) fets rather than the j201 that most people use... he's of the opinion that the j201 does colour more than the 2sk117.. the fet is noticably more expensive than the more common j201 in NZ, but from futurlec it's negligible.
to my ears, all it does is boost and not change the sound .. but what would I know? I'm a singer :wink:
after ~1 o'clock it starts to break up, but that's well past unity gain so the boost is very clean unless you push it into the (very slight) dirt.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

is there much point in the buffer stage of the Black toast? was planning on just building the boost onto another one I have on the bench...opinions?
b.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

no idea.. I'm still getting my head around buffers, but a) it works and b) if you read the thread that Steve posted, it's there cos that's what the customer asked for.. you could leave it out I guess, but I wouldn't have a clue how to :oops:
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass