Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

michael_m
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Getting ripped off?

Post by michael_m »

Why are pedals so expensive? Even on trademe, I have to fork out hundreds of dollars for even half-decent pedals. I'm new to this whole thing, so can someone clear it up for me if I'm getting ripped off for paying this kind of money? It seems to me that building your own is much much cheaper. Am I right?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Re: Getting ripped off?

Post by jeremyb »

Building your own is not really any cheaper than a boss pedal second hand that does effectively the same thing, but you get the enjoyment of building it and having something a bit different, if you want cheap effects get a multi-effects pedal unit :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by shinenz »

jeremyb wrote:get a multi-effects pedal unit
Digitech if you can
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

jeremyb wrote:Building your own is not really any cheaper than a boss pedal second hand that does effectively the same thing, but you get the enjoyment of building it and having something a bit different, if you want cheap effects get a multi-effects pedal unit :)
It's matter of buying the right pedal.
Just because a good handmade overdrive may go for 300-500 new, it doesn't mean every other pedal with a similar price tag is anywhere near as good. You have to get to know what is good and what the resale value on TM is.
For $100 bucks on TM you can get some good pedals.
Last week I picked up a MXR Zakk Wilde Overdrive in brand new condition for $100, a steal really and a great sound.
Then you find guys buying 2nd hand pedals for $80, spending $1.50 changing some parts and trying to sell it for $180 as a modded pedal. Blah.
Analog Delay pedals are pricey. But no other 2nd hand pedal on TM should be much more than $100-200 unless it's something special.
All Boss pedal should only be $80-$130 used on TM (Distortion, Overdrive, EQ, Chorus, Flanger) but a delay again will cost a bit more.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

just a few that i can think of off the top of my head relating to pedals ..

material/component costs
design and paint/screenprinting costs
labour costs
ongoing research and development costs
advertising costs
packaging costs
shipping costs
warranty and repair costs
customer support hours/costs
all associated business costs (insurance, compliance, accountants, lawyers, telephone, internet/web, ACC etc etc etc)

+ plenty of costs that i've missed in this brief post

Any item manufactured by a business that wants to stay in business, includes these costs.
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 562 times

Post by TmcB »

I've found that if you get all the parts yourself, a pedal costs around at least $60, not taking into account time spent building or debugging
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

tonymcbony wrote:I've found that if you get all the parts yourself, a pedal costs around at least $60, not taking into account time spent building or debugging
yep.. that's pretty close.. depending on what one is making.. if it has special components worth a bit more then the price goes up. including shipping the ones I build cost $50 - $100, but costs are rising cos of our @rse dollar.

what isn't included is all the fails :lol: I gots plenty of them.
but if you're comparing a generic pedal to a DIY, it's prolly 6 of one ½ dozen of the other, but compare a DIY to say a ZVEX.. you'll save a BUNCH, and not have that ugly @se artwork that like like a primary school reject has attacked your pedal.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass