clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Digitech Hardwire RV-7 has a weird knob

Post by clubhouse »

Well…the RV-7 has arrived and IMHO it lives up to the hype! Stick it on ‘reverse’ and it’s instant shoegaze slurriness…a pissed up sailor on a sea-sick boat. The weird thing is though, that the text around the reverb selector is all boozed up as well.

The text reads, L-R: room, plate, reverse, modulated, gated, hall, spring but the effect types are; room, reverse, modulated, gated, hall, plate, spring…aside from spring and room, the other effect types don’t correspond to the text.

It’s not an issue with the knob. It can only align on the pot shaft one way and it’s on properly. The pot itself is one of those plastic, sealed box, type jobs. A mini thing that can’t be serviced…a burner deal. Nothing inside looks dodgy or repaired…no solder blobs, hot spots or weird tracks.

Anyone have any clues?

Otherwise, the thing is as it should be…works fine and it’s 2 thumbs up from me. Perhaps the spring is a little too smooth…the drip could be more metallic or something but I’m getting obsessive…the other modes sound well lush and less ‘sheen-ee?’ than the Blue Sky.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Re: Digitech Hardwire RV-7 has a weird knob

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Since it is a digital pedal, it might very well use a reference voltage to determine which type of reverb effect is engaged depending on where the control is set. A different voltage means a different reverb type.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:22 pm Since it is a digital pedal, it might very well use a reference voltage to determine which type of reverb effect is engaged depending on where the control is set. A different voltage means a different reverb type.
Thanks for the reply, man. Is that a fixable fault or best ignored?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Did you read the manual? First port of call, might be able to factory reset your problem

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

clubhouse wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:25 pm Thanks for the reply, man. Is that a fixable fault or best ignored?
Depends on how much it bugs you and the availability of the part. Does the mode control click between the different reverb setting when you rotate the control?
Cdog wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:53 am Did you read the manual? First port of call, might be able to factory reset your problem
No mention of a factory reset in the manual I'm afraid.

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/RV-7/RV-7%2 ... Manual.pdf

www.fantailaudio.com

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:05 pm
clubhouse wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:25 pm Thanks for the reply, man. Is that a fixable fault or best ignored?
Depends on how much it bugs you and the availability of the part. Does the mode control click between the different reverb setting when you rotate the control?
Cdog wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:53 am Did you read the manual? First port of call, might be able to factory reset your problem
No mention of a factory reset in the manual I'm afraid.

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/RV-7/RV-7%2 ... Manual.pdf
Thanks for your interest, man :thumbup:

Yeah, there is a slight detent click for each reverb setting. It’s a bit annoying because I swap between reverb types and can’t remember the type order from what’s written and then need to make a noise to figure it out by ear.

Current work around is a new label I’ve made up, with the correct order that I’ve taped over the original text. Works, but looks budget as.

It’s not a front-burner hassle for me, but I don’t like sketchy working tools and in my kaitiakitanga I’d love to put it to rights, sometime, before passing it on.

Yep…no mention of reset capability in the manual.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:04 pm Thanks for your interest, man :thumbup:

Yeah, there is a slight detent click for each reverb setting. It’s a bit annoying because I swap between reverb types and can’t remember the type order from what’s written and then need to make a noise to figure it out by ear.

Current work around is a new label I’ve made up, with the correct order that I’ve taped over the original text. Works, but looks budget as.

It’s not a front-burner hassle for me, but I don’t like sketchy working tools and in my kaitiakitanga I’d love to put it to rights, sometime, before passing it on.

I've did a bit of research and the control is a 100k linear pot with 7 detents which are the clicks between the different reverb settings. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any replacement parts available. I'm guessing it might have bene a custom part created especially for the pedal.

Replacing the por is fairly simple. Finding a replacement, not so much.

www.fantailaudio.com

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:49 pm
clubhouse wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:04 pm Thanks for your interest, man :thumbup:

I've did a bit of research and the control is a 100k linear pot with 7 detents which are the clicks between the different reverb settings. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any replacement parts available. I'm guessing it might have bene a custom part created especially for the pedal.

Replacing the por is fairly simple. Finding a replacement, not so much.
Hey, man...seriously thanks for your time and interest 8) That's so righteous for trying for me, man, many thanks again.

Ok, then. I'll learn to live with it and if a busted one shows up, I'll check out the feasibility of parting it out to repair...seems like the only reasonable option.

...and again, thanks, dude...love your work :thumbup:

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:17 pm Hey, man...seriously thanks for your time and interest 8) That's so righteous for trying for me, man, many thanks again.

Ok, then. I'll learn to live with it and if a busted one shows up, I'll check out the feasibility of parting it out to repair...seems like the only reasonable option.

...and again, thanks, dude...love your work :thumbup:
Thank you and no worries.

In theory, you could just use a regular pot in the same size format, taper, and shaft type; I believe it is a D-shaft. As it is just forming a voltage divider. Of course, it won't have the satisfying click between the different modes.

www.fantailaudio.com

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Bit weird. But really why would you want to move it off the reverse reverb setting? 😅

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Actually, this thread has kicked off a memory of something similar happening with the first Hardwire DL-8 delay I had. I wonder if this is a problem common to these pedals?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

hamo wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:41 pm Actually, this thread has kicked off a memory of something similar happening with the first Hardwire DL-8 delay I had. I wonder if this is a problem common to these pedals?
What was the issue with your DL-8?

www.fantailaudio.com

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:14 am
hamo wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:41 pm Actually, this thread has kicked off a memory of something similar happening with the first Hardwire DL-8 delay I had. I wonder if this is a problem common to these pedals?
What was the issue with your DL-8?
It's a while back so I don't remember exactly, but I think it was the mode select knob not lining up correctly with the delay mode that was active.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

hamo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:53 am It's a while back so I don't remember exactly, but I think it was the mode select knob not lining up correctly with the delay mode that was active.
Looks like it could be an 11-detent 100kB pot.

www.fantailaudio.com

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

You could think outside the box and rewire your brain instead. Convince yourself that a plate reverb actually sounds like a reverse and so on.
This method would be effective as long as you never plan on using a different reverb ever. Let me know if you want any more practical tips.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...