Yamaha FG's

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Velo
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Yamaha FG's

Post by Velo »

Hi all,
Newbie here to find out as much as pos about FG's.
I have 3 now but two sold off in the past cause I was niave and young, be worth big bux now.
Which is the best of them regardless of year, number or factory ?
For what it's worth, I don't think money comes into their value as an instrument per se.
It's all about the sound.
Velo.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: Yamaha FG's

Post by kdawg2a »

Hey there Velo. As far as I know the FG that commands the big bucks is the 68-74 red label, made in Japan FG-180. All because of the Elliot Smith connection.
They're OK guitars but their value used to be they were a good guitar for very little money. They're not very little money anymore. I've had a few early 70s FGs. I got them for cheap, had fun playing them, sold them for a nice profit.
Lots of them were imported into NZ back in the day so if you can find any of the earlier ones in playable condition for $200 or less, grab them! Its still possible (even at pawn shops) to find them cheap making them one of the last good value vintage guitars.
Look out for red label MIJ (export models) or white label MIJ (domestic models). There's still lots out there!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:10 am Hey there Velo. As far as I know the FG that commands the big bucks is the 68-74 red label, made in Japan FG-180. All because of the Elliot Smith connection.
They're OK guitars but their value used to be they were a good guitar for very little money. They're not very little money anymore. I've had a few early 70s FGs. I got them for cheap, had fun playing them, sold them for a nice profit.
Lots of them were imported into NZ back in the day so if you can find any of the earlier ones in playable condition for $200 or less, grab them! Its still possible (even at pawn shops) to find them cheap making them one of the last good value vintage guitars.
Look out for red label MIJ (export models) or white label MIJ (domestic models). There's still lots out there!
Very much this. The 180's best trick was it stood up well to heavy handed players and gave lots of thump. Paul Urbana Jones used one for years until he got his first D28 and that man could hit a guitar!

Back in the 70's the FG-180 was the guitar you bought if you couldn't manage a Guild, Gibson or Martin. Haven't played one in years but I doubt it would be much better today than a newer instrument for the same money; bang for buck has increased considerably over the years.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Slowy wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:45 am Paul Urbana Jones used one for years until he got his first D28 and that man could hit a guitar!
My brother had guitar lessons from Paul, he was as intense with his teaching as he is with his playing, my brother had a few absolute bollockings off him for not practicing. Nothing physical, bar a few coatings of spit from the rants.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:45 am
kdawg2a wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:10 am Hey there Velo. As far as I know the FG that commands the big bucks is the 68-74 red label, made in Japan FG-180. All because of the Elliot Smith connection.
Very much this. The 180's best trick was it stood up well to heavy handed players and gave lots of thump. Paul Urbana Jones used one for years until he got his first D28 and that man could hit a guitar!

Back in the 70's the FG-180 was the guitar you bought if you couldn't manage a Guild, Gibson or Martin. Haven't played one in years but I doubt it would be much better today than a newer instrument for the same money; bang for buck has increased considerably over the years.
Agreed here. These were the best used guitars around for much of the 70s - 90s that did not cost a lot.
But these days there are so many really good options for less money.

Those older Yamaha guitars will always have their fans though.