What is more 'wow' than one AS200?

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

What is more 'wow' than one AS200?

Post by Jay »

Two of course :D

This is not another NGD, at least not for me :(

The one on the right has successfully survived a neck pickup operation and a keyhole operation.

Both pickups (Super58) had very short wires and the neck one had an intermittent fault. Both have long wires now and the neck pickup has been converted to 4 wires to allow for series, single coil and out of phase switching done by the little black switch.

Pots and switches were all original. The coolest sound I find you get with main pickup selector in middle position, the bridge pickup on full, tri-switch in out of phase and the neck pickup volume knob turned down 15 degrees or so. Just glorious.

There is one thing I don't like, that one on the right has such a beautiful flame. Should have been the other way around... :wink:

Ibanez AS200 Siblings - JAY_1908.JPG
Ibanez AS200 Siblings - JAY_1908.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 2265 times

Ibanez AS200 Siblings Closeup -JAY_1910.JPG
Ibanez AS200 Siblings Closeup -JAY_1910.JPG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2265 times
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Re: What is more 'wow' than one AS200?

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I think I'm seeing double! Four as200's!!!??
Last edited by StrummersOfThunder on Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

Very nice.

I think it might be called a Chevron pattern in reverse. I always think StareGate for the Chevron reference. I loved SGU.

Do those micro tuners at the tail piece end work? As in, make a noticeable difference to tuning?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:38 pm Very nice.

I think it might be called a Chevron pattern in reverse. I always think StareGate for the Chevron reference. I loved SGU.

Do those micro tuners at the tail piece end work? As in, make a noticeable difference to tuning?
Is that what it is for... I thought it was a gimmicky thing from Gibson... It is a proper Gibson tailpiece but no idea from what guitar it originated.

Will try some micro tuning tomorrow.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

What a talented & top chap jay is :-)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:58 pm There is one thing I don't like, that one on the right has such a beautiful flame. Should have been the other way around... :wink:
The one on the left looks just fine :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

I wonder if Ibanez made any money on guitars in this era. They offered so much more and of such high quality compared to US offerings at the time. I wanted a flame-top Destroyer but it was £325. Settled for an Artist at £200.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Hnnnnnggggg and I’m spent
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:45 am Hnnnnnggggg and I’m spent
Hell of a start to the morning.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Molly wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:46 pm I wonder if Ibanez made any money on guitars in this era. They offered so much more and of such high quality compared to US offerings at the time. I wanted a flame-top Destroyer but it was £325. Settled for an Artist at £200.
Ditto, exactly 200 quid. Fantastic guitar that I completely failed to appreciate at the time. I wanted a Strat…

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

Jay wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:58 pm
There is one thing I don't like, that one on the right has such a beautiful flame. Should have been the other way around... :wink:
Just swap them round so the right one is on the left and take another photo. Sorted.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

hamo wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:22 am
Jay wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:58 pm
Just swap them round so the right one is on the left and take another photo. Sorted.
What's that disease called again? When you don't understand context.... :think:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:41 am
Molly wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:46 pm I wonder if Ibanez made any money on guitars in this era. They offered so much more and of such high quality compared to US offerings at the time. I wanted a flame-top Destroyer but it was £325. Settled for an Artist at £200.
Ditto, exactly 200 quid. Fantastic guitar that I completely failed to appreciate at the time. I wanted a Strat…
I wanted an American guitar because that's what 'credible' players used. The first 'proper' Strat I bought was an ash bodied CBS that felt clumsy and heavy. The first Les Paul was a clownburst Deluxe with a maple neck. That was another impatient purchase as all I could see was the chance to own a real Gibson.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Molly wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:57 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:41 am
I wanted an American guitar because that's what 'credible' players used. The first 'proper' Strat I bought was an ash bodied CBS that felt clumsy and heavy. The first Les Paul was a clownburst Deluxe with a maple neck. That was another impatient purchase as all I could see was the chance to own a real Gibson.
Sold the Artist to get a Strat (1979). I loved it, but it was a crappy build and cheap parts by then. Now I’d swap a Strat for an Artist, if I could find one.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:38 pm Very nice.

Well, that's a surprise... those micro tuners work really well.

I wound the B string adjuster all the way up, then tuned the B string to 246.9 herz (B frequency). Then wound the micro adjuster down as far as it could go. That raised the B string to 266 herz, almost a C#. That implies if set correctly one has a full half stop on either side of target string pitch to play with.

So no gimmicky thing at all. Very usable.

On what guitars did Gibson install these by default?