A vintage '54

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

goldtop0
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

A vintage '54

Post by goldtop0 »

Okay boys time to pony up and somebody to buy this one.
Heard about it years ago and wondered if it had gone back overseas .....obviously not.
If I had the spare dollars I'd do it...........great guitars these ones........love a fat neck and P90s.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 2751877122
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: A vintage '54

Post by Molly »

I'll check down the back of the sofa.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Molly wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:13 am I'll check down the back of the sofa.
You're more likely to find a guitar down there that you'd forgotten about than some spare change. :P
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

I'm not normally a fan of uber-expensive guitars but that is my cuppa tea.

Dumb question time: would this guitar be a good long term investment in comparison to other vehicles like housing, stocks, bonds etc.?
Greenstone Amplifiers

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

i'd want a bigsby for that sort of dough.....
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

RobRoyMcCoy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:33 pm I'm not normally a fan of uber-expensive guitars but that is my cuppa tea.

Dumb question time: would this guitar be a good long term investment in comparison to other vehicles like housing, stocks, bonds etc.?

That's not a dumb question at all.
Over the next 10 years you'd see a healthy capital gain as vintage instruments(in good original condition with no issues)hold sway in the guitar market, and this '54 is priced well to sell(here) provided it has no issues.
However compared to property (in NZ) it wouldn't cut it, housing outstrips everything, a sure investment.
If it were me, I'd buy it, use it, then it'd go to the kids when I kick the bucket like everything else.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

RobRoyMcCoy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:33 pm I'm not normally a fan of uber-expensive guitars but that is my cuppa tea.

You would certainly have done well financially if you'd bought a bunch of LPs, Strats and Teles in the 1950s. That doesn't say anything about their future value, though. Also, combining investment decisions with sentimentality is usually not wise.

Having said all that, if I had more money than sense, I would have exactly this guitar sitting on my wall. But I'd buy it to play and enjoy, even if it never made a cent.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Dharmajester »

When I arrived in Nz some 21 years ago I brought with me a 55 all gold and a 54 burst conversion. Sold them 15 years ago for far more than they had cost me but far far less than they would be worth now. Have to say I'm not wracked by regret. It's all very well owning classic vintage instruments but ultimately you're unlikely to take them out of the house for a jam, and while you can certainly list them on your house insurance, in my case I felt fairly uncomfortable leaving the property for any length of time. Far less stress involved in owning a bunch of easily replaced Custom Shop items.
Investment, well given the way the world's going I think guns, ready meals and bullion are a safer bet.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Dharmajester wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:48 pm Investment, well given the way the world's going I think guns, ready meals and bullion are a safer bet.
So I should be bidding on this?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... 2752951745

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Dumb answer time: If you believed it would appreciate faster than the other options, then Yes!

Do it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Vintage guitars are a good financial bet if you buy right. And this one is the real deal...

But I wouldn't say this is a bargain...now if I'd have paid the $30K the seller was asking a few years back....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I don't think this will appreciate as much if you intend to keep it here, is be hanging onto it to sell overseas when it got to that stage...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

As an aside,...this is why I think the LP Specials represent such great (relative) value. All that’s missing is the maple top, and the price.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

GrantB wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:09 pm As an aside,...this is why I think the LP Specials represent such great (relative) value. All that’s missing is the maple top, and they price.
Or to go one further step down, pre-65 Melody Makers are good deals. Although they are more SG than LP due to the body thickness but you get old mahogany and Brazilian rosewood.

The stock pickups are shit but that makes it a good excuse to swap them to something that works for your style without feeling sacrilegious haha.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

GrantB wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:09 pm As an aside,...this is why I think the LP Specials represent such great (relative) value. All that’s missing is the maple top, and the price.
Yup, can't argue there, even with Epi ones! I thought I couldn't be happier with mine, then I heard it played through my setup by capable hands.