A vintage '54

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: A vintage '54

Post by Jonny »

Litterick wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:28 am Is it worth it? Would this guitar be better than a Gibson Les Paul made later? They are available new for less than ten grand.
I guess it really depends on how you're looking at it. As purely a guitar to be played and enjoyed as an instrument / tool, then personally I would say not at all. However, people often buy vintage guitars for many other reasons than as simply an instrument: sentimentality, as a piece of history, perception of 'mojo' (whatever the fuck that is), even bragging rights. These are much more intangiable motivations which makes an instrument worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

I've played plenty of modern guitars that sound and feel as good as their vintage equivalents. I should also say that all of the vintage kit I've had a) it sounded and played wonderfully, and b) I scored it for a beyond reasonable price.
Yes, M'Lady.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Jonny wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:35 pm I should also say that all of the vintage kit I've had a) it sounded and played wonderfully, and b) I scored it for a beyond reasonable price.
Probably also worth mentioning that just because it's vintage doesn't guarantee it's going to be good. There are supposedly many late 50's/early 60's LP's that are considered 'average', and there's some that respected players & collectors have said are nothing special

My Dad tried out a number of identical ES355's before he chose the one he still owns today. Said they were all different tonally and the one he chose sounded head and shoulders better than the others, both acoustically and plugged in. They all came in to the shop on the same shipment and on paper were all the same

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Mini Forklift wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:50 pm My Dad tried out a number of identical ES355's before he chose the one he still owns today. Said they were all different tonally and the one he chose sounded head and shoulders better than the others, both acoustically and plugged in. They all came in to the shop on the same shipment and on paper were all the same
This is the actual truth of guitars both vintage and contemporary. Old wood helps, but so do modern manufacturing tolerances. A vintage instrument though even if unremarkable in terms of tone will still maintain a level of value as a collectable item as would any antique/ rare item.
I was told by a mate in Australia who knows the current owner of the 55 I formerly owned that it is kept under the bed, polished regularly but rarely played. Waste really as it had THE tone everyone seeks in an old burst...
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Jonny »

Mini Forklift wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:50 pm
Jonny wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:35 pm I should also say that all of the vintage kit I've had a) it sounded and played wonderfully, and b) I scored it for a beyond reasonable price.
Probably also worth mentioning that just because it's vintage doesn't guarantee it's going to be good. There are supposedly many late 50's/early 60's LP's that are considered 'average', and there's some that respected players & collectors have said are nothing special

My Dad tried out a number of identical ES355's before he chose the one he still owns today. Said they were all different tonally and the one he chose sounded head and shoulders better than the others, both acoustically and plugged in. They all came in to the shop on the same shipment and on paper were all the same
You are absolutely bang on. Just because it’s old is no guarantee it’s going to be good.
Yes, M'Lady.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Yep you've got to hunt to find a good one.
I played heaps of 57-60 LPs when I went to the Arlington Vintage show a few years ago....there were maybe two that were really good sounding/playing of that lot.
Modern Gibson CS guitars are generally very good instruments and with the M2M program you can get the specs you want.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

I see someone is offering $35k cash in the latest auction. Not sure if they are serious but entertaining nonetheless :)
Greenstone Amplifiers

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

15K drop in reserve, more realistic this time?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Jay wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:17 pm 15K drop in reserve, more realistic this time?
I might be mistaken, but didn't someone offer him $45k last time round and he declined? He might hae missed his opportunity

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

Jay wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:17 pm 15K drop in reserve, more realistic this time?
As an investment I would say that’s decent buying.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

My 74 Deluxe goldtop on paper is an absolute dog. Weighs a ton, made up of 50 bits of sub-par mahogany, dredded mini humbuckers, volute, headstock break, some iffy frets.
In the hand it sounds amazing! Feels good too. Reg is the new current caretaker of it (for the foreseeable future) so his opinion would be interesting on this. Sometimes things can be way better than the sum of their parts.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

Mini Forklift wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:38 pm
I might be mistaken, but didn't someone offer him $45k last time round and he declined? He might hae missed his opportunity
I believe the offer was 35K.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

bluesierra wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:20 pm I believe the offer was 35K.
Yeah, just had a feeling someone had also offered higher than that before the guy that offered the $35k.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Now we are getting somewhere prise wise.

Little bit more to go.....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Mini Forklift wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:26 pm
bluesierra wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:20 pm I believe the offer was 35K.
Yeah, just had a feeling someone had also offered higher than that before the guy that offered the $35k.
You are correct, probably just teasing though....
Capture54.JPG
Capture54.JPG (16.66 KiB) Viewed 5351 times
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

GrantB wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:07 pm Now we are getting somewhere prise wise.

Little bit more to go.....