NGD 1968 ES335

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: NGD 1968 ES335

Post by Mini Forklift »

Voxshall wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:16 pm As for vintage guitars I’ve definitely drank the kool aid, something in the sound that is more together, warm and cohesive like comparing a full range speaker to a 3 way speaker that has a badly designed crossover, although it’s subtle I can’t notice the difference much once it’s recorded with a band.
I’m with you on this, even though I find it somewhat hard to explain why

I was lucky enough to get to spend a few weeks with my Dad’s 1977 Gibson ES355 last year and it was quite the experience. These high quality vintage guitars have a certain something that the Custom Shop will never quite nail; thinking it could simply be the result of years of playing and decades of exposure to changing environments

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

What a great acquisition
That thing is truely gorgeous
Tell me is it, compared to a modern 335/HB style semi hollow, more mellow and tamed? The beef I have with some HB guitars is the full on bark they have with such hot pickups and given I mainly play clean I struggle with them. In saying that when ive played some older examples they have tended towards the woodier and percussive sounds (im thinking gretsch for the most part and I kow that filters are a different story again). Just wonder if something happens to the wire, magnet and of course the instruments resonance over time that 'softens things' somewhat.
Once again, congrats, its really really a stunning thing. Enjoy it.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Mini Forklift wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:16 pm
Voxshall wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:16 pm As for vintage guitars I’ve definitely drank the kool aid, something in the sound that is more together, warm and cohesive like comparing a full range speaker to a 3 way speaker that has a badly designed crossover, although it’s subtle I can’t notice the difference much once it’s recorded with a band.
I’m with you on this, even though I find it somewhat hard to explain why

I was lucky enough to get to spend a few weeks with my Dad’s 1977 Gibson ES355 last year and it was quite the experience. These high quality vintage guitars have a certain something that the Custom Shop will never quite nail; thinking it could simply be the result of years of playing and decades of exposure to changing environments
It takes a guitar about 15 years to completely forget it was a tree.
That sounds like a throwaway line but over the decades, I've become increasingly convinced of it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Thats really nice, built when Gibson were still an actual instrument maker. I think they have confused lawyers with luthiers in recent years.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:33 am What a great acquisition
Tell me is it, compared to a modern 335/HB style semi hollow, more mellow and tamed? The beef I have with some HB guitars is the full on bark they have with such hot pickups and given I mainly play clean I struggle with them. In saying that when ive played some older examples they have tended towards the woodier and percussive sounds (im thinking gretsch for the most part and I kow that filters are a different story again). Just wonder if something happens to the wire, magnet and of course the instruments resonance over time that 'softens things' somewhat.
I've never owned a modern one, the last semi hollow I owned before this one (sold to Rob) is almost 40 years old. But yes this 68 has very low output pickups 7.5k in the neck and 7.2k in the bridge, the sound is balanced and woody, sounds great on cleans but also great with some dirt, can get some snarl on the bridge pickup and the middy honk thing, really versatile. If you're in Auckland, your welcome to come and try it out, just PM me.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Voxshall wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:16 pm
MrDINO wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:09 am Very nice. I reckon the new ones don’t quite sound the same.
I noticed a wider variation in 335’s than other guitar models and was quite shocked by how many of the new customshop models sounded in ways that didn’t suit my tastes, case in point that beautiful cherry 335 with Bigsby out at rockshop Westgate. A lot of the new gibson acoustics are the same, so many of them leave me flat, but every now and then you find a really good one. Having said that it’s all subjective and we all have personal preferences.

As for vintage guitars I’ve definitely drank the kool aid, something in the sound that is more together, warm and cohesive like comparing a full range speaker to a 3 way speaker that has a badly designed crossover, although it’s subtle I can’t notice the difference much once it’s recorded with a band.
Cool as indeed.
What is your take on that 1970 one that was on TM recently?
https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... ?archive=1
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:33 am What a great acquisition
Most of this with modern Gibson hollow's is their pickup choice. Current MHS aren't too hot, but these T Tops will be even milder. The PAF's in my 335 read hot (8.3 ish), but sound clean...all in the construction and material.

Lower wind P90's in a hollow are awesome to get the woody thing.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Something magical about old plywood :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1420 times

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:55 pm

Most of this with modern Gibson hollow's is their pickup choice. Current MHS aren't too hot, but these T Tops will be even milder. The PAF's in my 335 read hot (8.3 ish), but sound clean...all in the construction and material.

Wait, you have a 335 with PAFs?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:25 pm

Have you not twigged yet to Grant's exceptional taste?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

There's taste, then there's taste.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:50 pm There's taste, then there's taste.
I imagine he tastes good, yes.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Imagine?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:16 pmImagine?
Sadly only dreams currently :(

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

robthemac wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:25 pm

Early 1960, from original owners wife, Auckland. Purchased 1961 for his 21st birthday. It’s time Lani had some more shots so I’ll do another thread soon.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves