Lets Play, 'What's in the Stinky Case?'

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Lets Play, 'What's in the Stinky Case?'

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote:
Jay wrote:
HappyEnding wrote:
Is it Pattie Boyd?
Actually, there could be a nice blonde in there. Or perhaps a tanned one with a bit of a sunburst?
Definitely blonde.
IMG_3437.JPG
That is delicious with that black binding. Can't wait till i see her in full frontal view :D
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Ibanez RG500.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote:Ibanez RG500.
You win! But what, I'm not sure.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

IMG_3441.JPG
IMG_3441.JPG (874.15 KiB) Viewed 5925 times
Pictured with its grandchild.

Jay wins. He said Hofner Club 40 and it's a Club 50. These pickups were only made in 1961 and 62 so that dates it reasonably. Had the same owner since 1962 so there's confirmation.

It's a fully hollow box, no soundholes. Light as a feather. Sounds great; thuddy attack, not a lot of sustain. Could be a great rockabilly guitar. Likes a bit of Klone to sharpen it up.

Oh and what does the Doozy teach us about German guitar evolution?
They've come a heck of a long way since Hofner! :rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Nice! I can see the family resemblance.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

The Doozy got style, the Hofner has got class and a zero fret. I prefer the looks of the Hofner.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote:The Doozy got style, the Hofner has got class and a zero fret. I prefer the looks of the Hofner.
Of course you do. Your tastes in wood run to 'Classical Dutch.' :D
And I confess a distaste for Clownburst.

Even making allowances though, the Doozy is by orders of magnitude, the better guitar.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

This does remind me that a guitar I've never met is the Guild Bluesbird. Always been curious about those. Anybody have any experience of them?

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Slowy wrote:This does remind me that a guitar I've never met is the Guild Bluesbird. Always been curious about those. Anybody have any experience of them?
Nope but they look cool and vintage Guild stuff always seems so cheap. Future investment?
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote:
Jay wrote:The Doozy got style, the Hofner has got class and a zero fret. I prefer the looks of the Hofner.
Of course you do. Your tastes in wood run to 'Classical Dutch.' :D
And I confess a distaste for Clownburst.

Even making allowances though, the Doozy is by orders of magnitude, the better guitar.
Has to be, I would be disappointed if the Germans hadn't made any progress over the last 50 years or so. But give Duesenberg the challenge to re-issue the Club 50, wouldn't they come up with something classy and very playable?

The Guild Bluesbird, is that not just another LP in disguise? (And you don't like LPs).

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote:
The Guild Bluesbird, is that not just another LP in disguise? (And you don't like LPs).
No. It's same shape, bigger body and built as a hollow box; just like the Hofner.

And for the record I love Les Pauls. They're the most fabulous things to look at. Pity I just can't get comfortable playing them.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote:
Slowy wrote:This does remind me that a guitar I've never met is the Guild Bluesbird. Always been curious about those. Anybody have any experience of them?
Nope but they look cool and vintage Guild stuff always seems so cheap. Future investment?
Already is. '70s Bluesbird over $5k on Reverb.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Slowy wrote:
Jay wrote:
No. It's same shape, bigger body and built as a hollow box; just like the Hofner.

And for the record I love Les Pauls. They're the most fabulous things to look at. Pity I just can't get comfortable playing them.
Something like this? Guild M-75.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Starfire wrote:
Something like this? Guild M-75.

Now that is very tidy :thumbup:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Finished a restoration assessment on the Club 50.
New tuners
New frets
Neck reset
About $900. At the end of which it will still be a bit of old German pork.
Looking elsewhere I think.