Cool little Geek Story.

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Cool little Geek Story.

Post by Slowy »

imagejpeg_2.jpg
This seeming piece of junk is a Gibson Dogear from a 1963 SG. The guitar was originally owned by Chris Thompson from Kiwi band Mandrake. He took it with him when he joined Manfred Mann's Earth Band. I like to think it might be heard on 'Blinded by the Light' but there's no evidence to support that.

Many years ago, the guitar was acquired by a friend of mine, complete with a big MMEB stencil over the case. Being much younger and impetuous, he decided to wax pot it to minimise microphonics. The pickup never worked again. Disillusioned and broken hearted, he replaced it with a Seymour Duncan and dropped this into the parts box.

Financial pressures later forced the sale of the guitar and it is now owned by Liam Finn.

Another mate, on the lookout for an old Dogear for his Junior, checked this out and quickly had it working again. It is currently being fitted to said Junior and will live to scream again.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Cool little Geek Story.

Post by Slowy »

OOOOH LOOK!!! 8)

Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

neat
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Pickup sounds cool; all angry midrange bellow. Like my overwound Lollar but less savage bite.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:OOOOH LOOK!!! 8)

revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night...

I had to search that out awhile ago, one of those great mistaken lyric things :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

and shit, he has an impressive CV! He had me at Steve Hackett.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:OOOOH LOOK!!! 8)

revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night...

I had to search that out awhile ago, one of those great mistaken lyric things :)
No no no
It’s

Revved up like a doozer go on I’ll have another pint
:mental:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

No it's

Revved up like a douche another roamer in the night...

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

Bg wrote:No it's

Revved up like a douche another roamer in the night...
"mondegreens"... in the parlance of our times...
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”