Smelly old guitars

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Smelly old guitars

Post by Bg »

yeah the pups are 95% of the magic!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

colors growing on me... so how did we get rid of the smell? without introducing new cat smell ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

only played through headphones and decent sims, but the pickups are already pretty much everything I wanted.
In the past few years I've gone from skinny necks to baseball and this one is the latter. going to base the new tele neck on this one, its chunky and feels bloody great! Can't wait to plug into the tweeds tomorrow :) Finally a guitar older than my meagre 42 years!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: In the past few years I've gone from skinny necks to baseball and this one is the latter. going to base the new tele neck on this one, its chunky and feels bloody great!
Tee Hee (rubs hands) "The revolution is taking hold".
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Very cool!
I really like the cream and black look, and if it's allready had a refin then I say do it.
Will have to get you to make a cameo in our outro medley that includes batman and Munsters themes !!!!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Agreed - the pickups in those are amazing.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Have we all seen the '67 Coronado that popped up on FB?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

HackSaw wrote:Have we all seen the '67 Coronado that popped up on FB?
Way overpriced for what it is. Replacement bridge, non-original tailpiece, no pickguard, non-original case. You could get a much better one from the US for that kind of money.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by HackSaw »

Everything smelly and old is overpriced for me! Unless it is aged cheese, then I can see the value...

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

HackSaw wrote:Everything smelly and old is overpriced for me! Unless it is aged cheese, then I can see the value...
Yum, aged cheese... :D

Agree with Bender about the Coronado. Just because it is old does not mean it is good either... most old guitars are just old (and possibly smelly). Old wood might be better, I've read the science, but it depends a lot on how good it was to begin with and how it has been treated.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
HackSaw wrote:Everything smelly and old is overpriced for me! Unless it is aged cheese, then I can see the value...

Agree with Bender about the Coronado. Just because it is old does not mean it is good either... most old guitars are just old (and possibly smelly). Old wood might be better, I've read the science, but it depends a lot on how good it was to begin with and how it has been treated.
I've only played two old Coronados, but they're both really cool guitars, especially post-refret.

Definitely not for everyone though!

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Well, this one is a total bargain...
https://reverb.com/news/58-gibson-explo ... ale-record

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by HackSaw »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:
Well, this one is a total bargain...
https://reverb.com/news/58-gibson-explo ... ale-record
Well, I had sold a couple of pedals and was feeling pretty flush. So I couldn't resist...

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

olegmcnoleg wrote:

Went on a blitz around the London guitar stores last week. It taught me that buying old guitars unseen is risky business. Played many very expensive, old acoustics. Some were great, worth every penny, while some were complete arse that played like the budget instruments you encounter in a primary school music room. One for example, a Levin that the store guy raved about, had a shoddy and tiny neck and felt and sounded like an old Yamaha that had been rotting in a corner. I was very confused, but everyone has their own taste I suppose.