Need some PAFs?

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Need some PAFs?

Post by GrantB »

Chicken! ;)
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

I've been there with sets of double blacks years ago..........just too variable.......they've got to suit the wood(LP) that they go in......sometimes yes sometimes no :problem:
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

So true
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Choosing pickups seems such an inexact exercise. Just spent some time on the BK website looking for P90s. I kind of know what I want but the guitar they're for isn't fixed bridge (it's a McCarty trem - all mahogany) and I don't know if or to what extent I should be trying to compensate for that. Played a Jr belonging to Steve in Dunedin that has a massive bottom end. I'm trying to get something akin to that. Could be a non-starter.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

P90's like thicker strings, what gauge you running currently? might make a difference without changing pups :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote:P90's like thicker strings, what gauge you running currently? might make a difference without changing pups :)
Bought a few sets of 11-49 yesterday to replace the 10s I've been using on the Strat and Tele. Maybe I'll stick a set on the McCarty. Might block the trem too to see what that does. It's a shimmery, sparkly and quite Stratty type sound at the moment. A very bright guitar I'd say. Want it dirtier and more ballsy. Might just shove Steve's arm up his back and try to buy his Jr...

Have taken the thread off topic, sorry.

Back to PAFs. Me like BK Mules. Thank you.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I have a pair of Dimarzio Master PAFs in my Les Paul. They sound fucking great. Absolutely nails this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDsbOraiqg[/youtube]

They cost me about $250 for a pair
10/10 would trade again
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Those double whites sold.........takes a few months at US$10k but they go :roll:

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

wow. Maybe sold to one of the many fakers out there now?

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

There was a LP seller in the States called Costa and he'd put vintage double whites in all the '59s he got which was quite a few apparently.
This goes back to the '90s and the guys on the LPF still pick out the LPs with the Costa signature as it were.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

druz15 wrote:I have a pair of Dimarzio Master PAFs in my Les Paul. They sound fucking great. Absolutely nails this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDsbOraiqg[/youtube]

They cost me about $250 for a pair
10/10 would trade again
Yes, these are good pickups. My faves at the moment are Lollar Imperials, which cost a bit more, but are wonderful and warm. It depends heaps on the guitar of course, and the response it provides across all frequencies, so results will vary.

Isn't it funny now that we lust after the sounds of properly aged PAF pickups, but the songs we associate those legendary toans with were by and large recorded when the pickups were still quite fresh? :roll:

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

You might say 'quite fresh' but a more relevant term might be 'newish'.
The LPs they were in were say max 10 years old(in '67) and as the decades pass there's very little shift in their k ohm resisitance, they don't age and shift in value like capacitors in amps do to eventually needing replacing.
The bobbins sometimes might buckle a bit as they're plastic and the pole pieces might get a little rusty plus the nickel pup covers will age and look a tad worn but apart from those factors most will be as good as the day they were put in the guitar.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Apart from the reduction in magnetic field...

Lots of old threads being resurrected over Christmas... Wonder why?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

We're sick of losing all these musicians in 2016, so we're bringing back what we can from the dead?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I could never justify a set of PAFs for a modern Les Paul or 335 etc when the repros are so damn good now. But if was restoring something I would not have a second thought. But $6-8K a set for clean, long magnet versions means the guitar would need to appreciate by the equivalent or more to validate it.

Crazy shit none the less.