Mickey Mouse is in the House (vintage guitar happy ending)

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Mickey Mouse is in the House (vintage guitar happy ending)

Post by GrantB »

Remember me?

I'm starting to feel a little better.....

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Re: Mickey Mouse is in the House

Post by Ironbird13 »

:shock: its not "THAT" one is it?

wheres the cool story bro?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Ironbird13 wrote::shock: its not "THAT" one is it?

wheres the cool story bro?
I think it is that one.....yes spill them beans G :lol: :lol: ...i'm guessing you had her committed :wink:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Looks like she needs TLC.

Perhaps an explanation?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

:shock:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Good man Grant! That was always meant to be your guitar. It looks pretty awesome, I have to say. I love 335s, and whilst I don't normally like the browns, that just looks brilliant. I would make a joke about the PAFs too, but I've got nothing! Well done mate, hope it was worth getting rid of the R9 for!! :P
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Renovation proclamation!
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I need to think about what to write for this...around the transaction. It was challenging to say the least.

I will go into some detail for the benefit of those interested in the technical challenges. This will take some time to type.

The over arching principle in working with this guitar - no wood can be removed. Secondly, respect the wear and aging. Do not repair the fingerboard (thank you Ash) and replicate to best ability the vibe throughout any resto work.

In short, for the trainspotters.

- 1960 ES-335 A33179
- Long guard
- 60's neck but not uber thin
- Wide nut 1" 11/16
- All electrics original - I was the first to unsolder a joint
- PAF's read around 8.45 - 8.65 ish resp.
- When finished, only the following hardware will not be original - TOM bridge (a real reissue, aged), tuners (reissue, aged, DMC tips)
- The binding and frets have been replaced and will get some tinted lacquer.
- Neck will be refin'd.
- Original nylon nut saved but for the case only...a new bone nut is under way.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Time.Consumption.

So the PAFs are the real deal as discussed in the other thread, rather than pickups that umm...aren't PAFs but are referred to as such?

Are you replacing the neck binding with new stuff? Are you going to strip and refinish the back of the neck/headstock? Did you have to sand down the fingerboard at all before the refret?

Edit: Opened eyes and read previous post. :roll:

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

Coming along nicely Grant. That guitar really was meant for you. Dewey and I both approve. :D

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Vorbis wrote: So the PAFs are the real deal as discussed in the other thread, rather than pickups that umm...aren't PAFs but are referred to as such?
:lol:

yep

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Mickey Mouse is in the House (vintage guitar happy endin

Post by jeremyb »

Nice work G! What did you clean the fretboard and body with?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Vorbis wrote:Time.Consumption.

Are you replacing the neck binding with new stuff? Are you going to strip and refinish the back of the neck/headstock? Did you have to sand down the fingerboard at all before the refret?

Yes, I need to sand the back of the headstock down. The tuner holes need finishing. I just strung her up in the weekend because I needed to feel like I was close...

The neck has a natural bow of about 1mm. In keeping with the guiding principle I removed no wood from the board other than a few scrapes where the paper hit it. Most of the stuff on there was just green and brown smelly gunk. I applied some pressure to get the neck as straight as I could for the refret, did my work on it, loosened it off and the marginal bow was still there (with strings and truss fully relaxed). A couple of turns though and it pulls to 100% straight ...my point being that because I checked the truss action prior I knew I could away without taking wood off the board.

Original side dots on the binding was a nice touch (again an Ash idea).

jb - spit, rags, lighter fluid, Martin polish,....mainly spit would you believe. The shit was heavy duty...decades of dust and dirt.

The fingerboard was so worn on the sides where the binding had gone it was rounded right over...

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: Mickey Mouse is in the House (vintage guitar happy endin

Post by Timoes »

Good job. Nice to see it where it belongs.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.