Christchurch Gearfest - Late November pre-Xmas extravaganza!

Info about upcoming gearfests etc

Moderator: Capt. Black

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: Christchurch Gearfest - Late November pre-Xmas extravaganza!

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:48 pm I may actually make this one :) I'll start planning....
Do let us know... so we can make sure we don't bring any acoustics...

Mr Glyn
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Mr Glyn »

I was thinking of popping over to the Gearfest with a few guitars loaded with MrGlyn’s Pickups for folks to try. Is that gate crashing and unashamed advertising all rolled into one? Is that sort of thing welcome? I don’t want to be a dick.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Mr Glyn wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:47 pm I was thinking of popping over to the Gearfest with a few guitars loaded with MrGlyn’s Pickups for folks to try. Is that gate crashing and unashamed advertising all rolled into one? Is that sort of thing welcome? I don’t want to be a dick.
I think you want the Auckland Slowyfest threat Glyn!! And I'm sure that would be really appreciated!! You're welcome to come down to Christchurch too though :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mr Glyn
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Mr Glyn »

I was thinking of both. I sell more pickups to Christchurch players than anywhere else - thought I’d show my face.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Due to upcoming redundancy, I'm going to pull out again - oh-er, vicar! Need to find a job at xmas again, sigh. I hate interviews.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mr Glyn wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:53 pm I was thinking of both. I sell more pickups to Christchurch players than anywhere else - thought I’d show my face.
Oooh that would be awesome! Your bellbirds in my Strat is just perfection!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I'd also mention first weekend of November is a no go for me, 2 day aikido seminar...

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

Mr Glyn wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:47 pm I was thinking of popping over to the Gearfest with a few guitars loaded with MrGlyn’s Pickups for folks to try. Is that gate crashing and unashamed advertising all rolled into one? Is that sort of thing welcome? I don’t want to be a dick.
You'd be a star turn if you came along to our gathering, just don't expect to see that HSS pickup set in a guitar yet as I haven't finished sanding the body yet...

just FYI it's a short trip outside Christchurch but if need be I'm sure someone will sort you out with a lift.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Candeevr4 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:26 am I started planning, then realised that beach hop is the last weekend of november...
I started planning then found out they are outsourcing web. Efficiency apparently, haha. Marketing are in for a surprise. No more vague remits, no more 20 plus changes, no more "I want it tomorrow!" No more salesforce integration, no more extremely consistent and to the click Google Analysis.

Not bitter just shaking my head at the thought of a wordpress site trying to take the place of the react site we created. Zero downtime in 2 years. Wordpress hosting, devops by an agency? Oh dear. Efficiency = 100 x cost
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

so yeah, sorry fullas, not this year, again :(

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

Bg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:32 pm
Candeevr4 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:26 am I started planning, then realised that beach hop is the last weekend of november...
I started planning then found out they are outsourcing web. Efficiency apparently, haha. Marketing are in for a surprise. No more vague remits, no more 20 plus changes, no more "I want it tomorrow!" No more salesforce integration, no more extremely consistent and to the click Google Analysis.

Not bitter just shaking my head at the thought of a wordpress site trying to take the place of the react site we created. Zero downtime in 2 years. Wordpress hosting, devops by an agency? Oh dear. Efficiency = 100 x cost
That's really shit!

I am convinced that there's a whole host of people in senior and middle management who are so scared of people with the ability to program and properly understand technology that they feel the compulsive urge to get rid of it and hold it at arms length against all evidence of the stupidity of doing so.

If you've got a working team delivering a working solution and you want to change things up a bit the absolute best thing you can do is maybe tweak with the management a little. But throwing it all out and starting again will never achieve what you want and will always cost you a fortune and leave you with a pile of poo.

The best I can work out is that the bullshit and stunts you can pull when managing all other corporate divisions just get you exposed when you apply the same tricks to IT. It's like watching real life Dilbert usually. Accounting and Law are the two other departments that you usually don't want to fuck about with, and it seems most senior managers have learnt that lesson by now.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yeah exactly... Marketing Director is fucking clueless. I think it was within the last 12 - 18 months that she asked if we can put some flash on the site.
Web increased leads 100% through the website last year, not marketing, they're still buying leads. The last bullshit competition they created had ZERO entries.

Fucking crazy.

We've been part of digital for the last couple of years, and now marketing wants the website back. Because we say NO to their crazy ideas as much as possible. Not staying, happy to go.

Mr Glyn
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Mr Glyn »

How’s the Gearfest plan going? I’m still keen to come along with as many guitars as I can bring on a plane.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Haven’t heard of anything official yet. As much as I’d love to try your pickups I’d hold off buying those plane tickets just yet.
JB any update?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I'll talk to John today about a date :)