Moderator: Capt. Black

Lostininverness
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Christchurch Acoustic Fest - 30th March

Post by Lostininverness »

I'm keen - also depending on family commitments. Maybe someone can teach me how to play!

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Lostininverness wrote:I'm keen - also depending on family commitments. Maybe someone can teach me how to play!
Yeah... that makes two of us. I get terribly excited when I hear an acoustic played well, even more so than electrics. Alas, that's not something I can do. Also, I'm convinced being in front of an acoustic is the best way of evaluating one. Somehow it sounds very different from the perspective of the player. Then again, my woeful playing undoubtedly contributes to that.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

codedog wrote:Also, I'm convinced being in front of an acoustic is the best way of evaluating one.

I struggled really badly to find an acoustic, or even a manufacturer that agreed with me until I tried a good selection, then I was able to home in on it - even if I couldn't actually afford the ones I loved (top of the Range Taylor type stuff ;) )

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

codedog wrote:Also, I'm convinced being in front of an acoustic is the best way of evaluating one. Somehow it sounds very different from the perspective of the player. Then again, my woeful playing undoubtedly contributes to that.
If you sit in front of Mr Oleg playing, you will want to buy any guitar he picks up!

My bank balance suffered considerably due to this...
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

codedog wrote:
Lostininverness wrote:I'm keen - also depending on family commitments. Maybe someone can teach me how to play!
Yeah... that makes two of us. I get terribly excited when I hear an acoustic played well, even more so than electrics. Alas, that's not something I can do. Also, I'm convinced being in front of an acoustic is the best way of evaluating one. Somehow it sounds very different from the perspective of the player. Then again, my woeful playing undoubtedly contributes to that.
This. If I’m buying from a store, I ask the sales guy to play it, to see how it projects out front. If I’m trying to decide which guitars to keep, I get a friend to play them while I listen (thanks Slowy. :-)

Often the player gets a very slanted appreciation of the overall tone—depending a lot on the sound projection properties of the upper bout!

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Need this now more than ever lads.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I seriously thought of grabbing Oleg and hopping on a plane. But I checked the date. On the 30th, I will be in Thames participating in a proper farewell to my late Musical Friend.

Sorry lads, timing. :(
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Conway wrote: If you sit in front of Mr Oleg playing, you will want to buy any guitar he picks up!

I know you've been hurt recently but in total, I think I've suffered more. :rofl:

And you're right; when Mr Oleg plays, my hands automatically wriggle between the seat and my bum.

Sublime 'e is, bleedin sublime.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

Slowy wrote:I seriously thought of grabbing Oleg and hopping on a plane. But I checked the date. On the 30th, I will be in Thames participating in a proper farewell to my late Musical Friend.

Sorry lads, timing. :(
All good and also condolences mate.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

If you were serious about coming Bruce we could reschedule, would love to meet you!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

jeremyb wrote:If you were serious about coming Bruce we could reschedule, would love to meet you!!
Despite 4 absolute fuckwit dregs of humanity, we're actually pretty nice and would love to have you here.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote:
jeremyb wrote:If you were serious about coming Bruce we could reschedule, would love to meet you!!
Despite 4 absolute fuckwit dregs of humanity, we're actually pretty nice and would love to have you here.
Hmmmm. OLEG? What say you?

And thanks guys, that's humbling.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

As kdawg mentioned, we now need this more than ever. The only way this can be improved is by having you, Bruce and Mark, and others too, join us.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote:
Conway wrote: If you sit in front of Mr Oleg playing, you will want to buy any guitar he picks up!

I know you've been hurt recently but in total, I think I've suffered more. :rofl:

And you're right; when Mr Oleg plays, my hands automatically wriggle between the seat and my bum.

Sublime 'e is, bleedin sublime.
:lol: Sounds like we need to form a support group, for victims of Mr Oleg's sublime skills on, and impeccable taste in, guitars! :lol:

I have only just made it home. It's been a very sobering and numbing day. Thank you all for the beautiful distraction.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

Slowy wrote:
kdawg2a wrote:
Hmmmm. OLEG? What say you?

And thanks guys, that's humbling.
You'll also get to have another go on the worlds most reliced D-35 so, you know, everyone's a winner.