sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Chch Gearfest Oct the 17th

Post by sopachrga »

The matchless sounded awesome, once it was a long way above bedroom volumes....
Ummm....

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Reg18 wrote:I would list my highlights for the day but there were just so many nice amps and guitars It is hard to narrow it down. Loved that Nocaster though! Molly can you tell me which pickups it had? I notice online they come with 51 Nocaster pickups in some and Twisted Tele in other versions, although I think the older versions had different ones again.
Great day, great gear and great like minded company!
I'll email the original owner. Mine's a 2014 I think if it helps.

Highlight for me? Put the Tele through Mark's Mk.V whilst he ran it through the channels / settings. By the time he'd finished I'd mentally sold all my amps....

Oh, and the 1987x cranked to ****. Classic Marshall.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Apologies, Dave. Just realised I didn't stick around to help put the pews back.

finn61
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by finn61 »

Molly wrote:Cheers chaps. Came away wanting a Mk.V.

Matchless anybody?

:-)
I wish so very much that I could take up that offer...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

sopachrga wrote:The matchless sounded awesome, once it was a long way above bedroom volumes....
And there's the rub.

On the Mk.V hunt. Keep me in mind if I've not got one if/when you decide to part with your one.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Molly wrote:
sopachrga wrote:The matchless sounded awesome, once it was a long way above bedroom volumes....
And there's the rub.

On the Mk.V hunt. Keep me in mind if I've not got one if/when you decide to part with your one.
No worries. Will probably have decided if I'm keeping it over the next few weeks.
Ummm....

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Molly wrote:New Mershall sitting next to me. On apro for the afternoon.
Silver Jubilee IMHO was a little underwhelming, the clean channel sounded great as did the first OD channel. But as soon as the gain pot was pulled (which should have been the money shot) I was left feeling a little shortchanged? Seemed like there was a lack of bottom end and it all sounded a bit, well weak almost. Push it back in and oddly it sounded damn good, nice and full and a lot more bottom end to it.

Looked beautiful though, as did the Matchless that was next to it :wink:
D'oh... I should have thought to say this earlier. The secret to the jube's full od channel is to dime the output master and use the lead master to control the volume level. At least that's what works best on mine. Downside is that it makes it tricky to switch channels as the output master is the one that controls the clean channel's level (so deafening clean if you forget to turn it down)... I just don't change channel...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Darth Sabbathi wrote: D'oh... I should have thought to say this earlier. The secret to the jube's full od channel is to dime the output master and use the lead master to control the volume level. At least that's what works best on mine. Downside is that it makes it tricky to switch channels as the output master is the one that controls the clean channel's level (so deafening clean if you forget to turn it down)... I just don't change channel...
What didn't make sense was that the foot switch only changed the level of gain rather than swapped between clean and dirty. That job was left to the push-pull knob on the amp. It's such an obvious oversight. I loved the clean and the initial gain that the push-pull knob took it to but would expect to be able to access that from the floor. I suppose you're limited when you're recreating an old amp.

Thanks to RS for letting me take it on approval for the afternoon.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Molly wrote:
Darth Sabbathi wrote:Thanks to RS for letting me take it on approval for the afternoon.
x2 :clap:

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Molly wrote:
Darth Sabbathi wrote: D'oh... I should have thought to say this earlier. The secret to the jube's full od channel is to dime the output master and use the lead master to control the volume level. At least that's what works best on mine. Downside is that it makes it tricky to switch channels as the output master is the one that controls the clean channel's level (so deafening clean if you forget to turn it down)... I just don't change channel...
What didn't make sense was that the foot switch only changed the level of gain rather than swapped between clean and dirty. That job was left to the push-pull knob on the amp. It's such an obvious oversight. I loved the clean and the initial gain that the push-pull knob took it to but would expect to be able to access that from the floor. I suppose you're limited when you're recreating an old amp.

Thanks to RS for letting me take it on approval for the afternoon.
Huh, weird. Mine doesn't work like that... the fs switches channels. But I can only get the 'rhythm clip' (slight dirt on the clean channel) via the push pull knob. Or maybe that is what you meant... :?

The big flaw is that it really isn't a two channel amp, as both channels share the tone and master volume controls... It's more a single channel amp with a couple of extra gain stages.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:
Huh, weird. Mine doesn't work like that... the fs switches channels. But I can only get the 'rhythm clip' (slight dirt on the clean channel) via the push pull knob. Or maybe that is what you meant... :?

The big flaw is that it really isn't a two channel amp, as both channels share the tone and master volume controls... It's more a single channel amp with a couple of extra gain stages.
Yes. I think that's what I meant. I wanted to be able to change from clean to clip but couldn't. Wouldn't kill them to put two buttons on the footswitch.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Anybody going to post any more pics?

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I don't know how to get them from my phone to here.....
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

kdawg2a wrote:I don't know how to get them from my phone to here.....
Got a Flickr account? Post there and link?

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

my 2558 switched the same way DS said -channels changed.Seems a wierd way to go about it on the current model.

I think it says a lot for the versatilty of the mark V if it's an amp both Molly and I would be keen to own :) pretty different ends of the tonal spectrum