Total votes: 20

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: TRONFEST may 11th

Post by GrantB »

First up - thanks Steve and Dave! Awesome stuff. Much appreciated.

Secondly, an apology to all I didn't get to talk to much. If any of the last fests seemed like a blur to me this one was at light speed. I had a commitment at 3pm which meant I didn't really get to jam with those I wanted to or simply chew some 'backy with. I did get to meet up with one of the Les Paul Forum guys from Aussie! Chris came in later on with a mate - they used to live in Hamilton and played back in the 70's around all the pubs. He's had a played a long list of guitars and amps including owning recently a '54 and has played a '60 burst. Good guy - great to see him there.

So, please forgive my next mix up of forum/real names etc etc. I'm getting old.

Danny - the JTM blew my mind. Thank you! And high up there was the old Hot Cake...loved it. 1st in line with that one please!! We didn't get to set up your Strat. Happy to do it if/when we get the chance. Maybe when I pick up the hotcake or something :rofl: Opsguy, WTF were you thinking?
Si - sell that Top Hat and I'm hunting you down.
Open Coil - I really wanted to try your AC...looked great
Single Coil - nice to meet you...
Les Paul 2012 dude - nice to meet you also...fine guitar - what's your handle here?
Sandy - good to see you and I have your Maestro :winky:
Ed - would have been good to have a decent chat...I'll do the next Auck fest
Capn - as always the Jansen and the ebony Tokai impressed.
Jimi - all I can say is that you will not be disappointed with the London Pro! I played it at the practise straight afterwards and it was great. That EF86 will impress you in time. It needs to be cranked tho.
Phil - the Matchless can wait...but you MUST hear it.
Dave - agree, that 33 sounds the biz
Calling Card - your bass? Nice!
Darcy - eh, hardly chatted. But you got a PEDAL BOARD~!!!!!
Lyle - I would have liked to try the Strat...and maybe the Class 5 through one of the Quads!!!
Crow - that MEsa has some cool cleans!
Mike - good to catch up all be it briefly.

More to come before I lose this message....couple of photos later too.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Thanks to all that were able to attend, was a great turnout. Lots of great sounding gear... I wish I would have heard the Matchless..maybe next time..I didn't really know much about the amp and should have given it a test drive.. Phil has some pictures that I will try to put up in the AM, any suggestions for a easy way to put up a number of photos, or is it a limit of 3 photos per post?
Attachments
DSC01071.jpg
DSC01070.jpg
DSC01068.jpg
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Tonemaker wrote:Thanks to all that were able to attend, was a great turnout. Lots of great sounding gear... I wish I would have heard the Matchless..maybe next time..I didn't really know much about the amp and should have given it a test drive.. Phil has some pictures that I will try to put up in the AM, any suggestions for a easy way to put up a number of photos, or is it a limit of 3 photos per post?
Host them and I think the limit is possibly nil....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

DSC01074.jpg
DSC01073.jpg
DSC01072.jpg
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

*UNIQUE* wrote:
Tonemaker wrote:Thanks to all that were able to attend, was a great turnout. Lots of great sounding gear... I wish I would have heard the Matchless..maybe next time..I didn't really know much about the amp and should have given it a test drive.. Phil has some pictures that I will try to put up in the AM, any suggestions for a easy way to put up a number of photos, or is it a limit of 3 photos per post?
I'm not sure how that works.. I can put up higher res pics, if you can pm me as to what I need to do..

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

A great day! Good people and nice gear. Thanks for having us.

Pick of the bunch. Amp: Airdads Carr Slant (had to go to Hamilton to play it)
Gat: Capt's Tele.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

More pics to come..
Attachments
DSC01080.jpg
DSC01079.jpg
DSC01076.jpg

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

crowbgood1 wrote: Gat: Capt's Tele.
Ya, +1

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Another excellent TronFest! Crow's Mesa was a highlight for me. Kind of Blackface-y clean tones, but with a nicer break-up than a Blackface Fender tends to have, and it seems to be a great platform for pedals too. And then fizzy metal tones with the flick of a switch. A strange combination of sounds really. The Joyo Tubescreamer clone was great too. I don't normally like Tubescreamers. They sound a bit asthmatic and raspy to me, but the Joyo was somehow thicker and smoother. Really sounded great, and is about the cheapest Tubescreamer available. I want one. Danny's Carr was seriously cool as well. The Fender-y clean channel was gorgeous, with lush reverb. Grant's '75 Tele was cool too. I love those '70s bursts with lots of red. I didn't play it amplified, but I heard it and those Wide Range Humbuckers are really something. The Silverface Princeton sounded gorgeous too.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

yeah, cheers all, was a good gearfest. Ears is ringing good, I keep my earplugs in the car, but that didn't help since the car was still in Auckland.

Loved that Hammond organ. Some awesome sounds coming out of that.

BabyTaylor's Ceriatone had some great sounds, and was blown away by the sound from Ed's AFD. Great fun to play. 2 more amps on the shopping list.

Would have been good to wind up the 65 London, but I spent 30mins on one at Ryan's last weekend so I don't feel too bad about missing out.

Thanks to the Capt too, for the lift and the coffee. The recipe went in one ear and out the other, so will need to hassle you for it again...

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Oh yeah, the Hammond was super cool. I want one of them too.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

you can't beat the mad butchers meat, and you can't beat playing with a big organ. Especially if its through a marshall or similar.... I've got my big red one out tonight, and its getting a bit of abuse! Its a long time since I've been able to give it the bashing it deserves and other double entendre humour! phnarrr phnarrr.... oh missus!!!

looks like I missed an alright fest again, next time I promise to promise to go and I may not back out at the last minute due to waxing issues.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

Big thanks to Steve & Dave for hosting.

Single Coil's 900 clone still impresses
Apologies to Grant for not checking out the Matchless in time, kicking myself :oops:
Danny, that Charvel was killer. Count me along with Willow for having major GAS for one now.
Oh & hopefully you've got some good ideas for the next tonal recipe :wink:

Excellent way spend an afternoon :D

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Yes, Big Thanks to Dave for Hosting and helping make sure all went smooth as well.. In the beginning I was not completely sure the layout and size was going to be big enough. But it seems like the main room is slightly smaller but more practice rooms with pretty good sound dampening so more people were able to play different styles of amps, both moderate and loud volumes at the same times without any trouble.

Thanks for all the donations, looks like we just broke even, sorry there wasn't any extra to put towards the forum this time around.

Its great to go and try other gear at these fests and try to meet all the forum members.

I was determined to go play Capt Blacks Tokai and his Jansen rig he brought.. Thats a nice sounding and loud sounding lil setup, The Tokai is very nice as well, quite a bit different to the Chinese version.. It has a wider neck and a heavier/more solid feeling to it. I like both the Japanese and the Chinese version, the Chinese version is lighter and plays great as well, its the guitar I play most at the moment.

Was great to get to hear and learn more about the Modded Marshalls, the Friedman and the Dan Gower. Learning more about the type of mods and what is available is very helpful at deciding what I would like to head towards.

Dang, I cant believe there was a Ceriatone amp in the very first room, in fact somehow I didn't realize anyone was using that room until everyone was packing down..I was quite interested in knowing more about one of those..

Lastly, I think this was a longer time set for a gearfest and really the day flew from 11am to 6pm it was all happening.

Was a great day!!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Tonemaker wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:
I'm not sure how that works.. I can put up higher res pics, if you can pm me as to what I need to do..
steve just get an imageshack account and upload them to there, then use the embed this image and you can post as many pic's as you like in one post :thumbup:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be