Late 70s Strats - thoughs?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

JustMatt
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Late 70s Strats - thoughs?

Post by JustMatt »

They sound good so far, but in typical fashion O had it all in peices before I could play with them too much.

Something that has me stumped is the cavity. It seems to have a green shielding paint under the finish. I say shielding because it the ground wire screws into it, which has also been finished over.

Anybody seen inside a late 70s cavity? Does that seem usual?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

JustMatt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:01 pm
Jb?

sorry but it was inevitable.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:06 pm
JustMatt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:01 pm
Jb?

sorry but it was inevitable.
Mines an early 70s cavity unfortunately.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

JustMatt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:01 pm They sound good so far, but in typical fashion O had it all in peices before I could play with them too much.

Something that has me stumped is the cavity. It seems to have a green shielding paint under the finish. I say shielding because it the ground wire screws into it, which has also been finished over.

wild guess: Oxidised copper paint?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

That was my thought, just I have never seen that happen before.

From a bit of research, it looks like 78 / 79 bodies have shielding, and a notch cut out next to the cavity for the ground wire.

My theory is that a batch of lefty bodies and necks were made in 77, and still sitting around through to 79 when this was built. Thus the cavity is true to a 77 model (no notch) but with shielding paint slapped in as an after thought per 78 / 79 spec.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

JustMatt wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:51 am That was my thought, just I have never seen that happen before.

From a bit of research, it looks like 78 / 79 bodies have shielding, and a notch cut out next to the cavity for the ground wire.

My theory is that a batch of lefty bodies and necks were made in 77, and still sitting around through to 79 when this was built. Thus the cavity is true to a 77 model (no notch) but with shielding paint slapped in as an after thought per 78 / 79 spec.
I think this is a very plausible explanation.

One other thought...just check that the 2 point trem is sitting on proper sleeved bolts/bridge inserts, not just two screws directly into the body. I mention it because there was a conversion kit for newer bridges that used just 2 wood screws, and they can wear loose.

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

Absolutely.

The conversion here looks clean and professional. I was initially interested in going back to a standard six screw trem, but I might just get some stamped offset saddles and be done with it.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

JustMatt wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:20 am Absolutely.

The conversion here looks clean and professional. I was initially interested in going back to a standard six screw trem, but I might just get some stamped offset saddles and be done with it.
If you are going to change it, I'd recommend getting a complete unit, with a decent steel block. Those modern trems have much of the steel mass in the saddles--they are chunkin'. The trem block is thin because it can be. But if you go for thin, vintage saddles, you could use more mass in the block. At least, if you want a vintage-like tone.

I quite like the modern Fender trem. It is good at staying in tune and is a decent compromise, tonally. It does create a different sound to my ears, but not a bad sound.