First time ever

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: First time ever

Post by Timoes »

Youshop (NZPost) ? Seems alot of the time the charge for shipping in ConUS is cheap or free. I have found Youshop reasonable with their charges. Just takes a bit longer.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

It’s when you work out the youshop to nz that the eyes water.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Ive had a few good turns at youshop. Way better option than any of the other US to NZ services. But have to say the good ol days of scooping up a dealio and getting it shipped USPS for under a hand shandy USD are over. Snif sniiiiff... .
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Mr Bungle »

goldtop0 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:40 am
Mr Bungle wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:52 pm Japan is your best bet and fast.

I had a Strat delivered from the US last month and shipping was US$400. Took about a month to arrive.

What shipper was used for your Strat.
USPS. I was reasonably ok with $400.

A year ago I got a quote of US$1500 shipping for an US$1800 Strat. 😂

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Mr Bungle wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:11 pm
goldtop0 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:40 am
Mr Bungle wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:52 pm Japan is your best bet and fast.

I had a Strat delivered from the US last month and shipping was US$400. Took about a month to arrive.

What shipper was used for your Strat.
USPS. I was reasonably ok with $400.

A year ago I got a quote of US$1500 shipping for an US$1800 Strat. 😂

Same here USPS, and so far for me it's proved to be efficient.
Yes importing into NZ with any of the worldwide cos is a problem.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Um.........waiting for it to clear Customs, been 4 working days now since arriving in Auckland and it may be a while longer if Mr Bungle's experience is anything to go by........we'll see.

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Mr Bungle »

goldtop0 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:27 pm Um.........waiting for it to clear Customs, been 4 working days now since arriving in Auckland and it may be a while longer if Mr Bungle's experience is anything to go by........we'll see.
My most recent arrival, the Strat, took a month all up from shipping to arrival to me. Took 4 days to clear NZ customs.

NZ Customs seem under the pump right now. Not sure why. NZ Post website claims less flights arriving are backlogging Customs. Too much arriving at once perhaps? I can't figure it out.

I currently have some tools from StewMac awaiting border clearance that have been there since 9th June. No payment required either due to low cost.

I had a US Jazzmaster delivered from Japan August last year. Fed Ex rang while the flight was in the air, paid the duty then and there and the guitar seemed to only take a day to clear customs.

Unsure what has changed since or if it's luck of the draw.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Mr Bungle wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:35 pm
goldtop0 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:27 pm Um.........waiting for it to clear Customs, been 4 working days now since arriving in Auckland and it may be a while longer if Mr Bungle's experience is anything to go by........we'll see.
My most recent arrival, the Strat, took a month all up from shipping to arrival to me. Took 4 days to clear NZ customs.

NZ Customs seem under the pump right now. Not sure why. NZ Post website claims less flights arriving are backlogging Customs. Too much arriving at once perhaps? I can't figure it out.

I currently have some tools from StewMac awaiting border clearance that have been there since 9th June. No payment required either due to low cost.

I had a US Jazzmaster delivered from Japan August last year. Fed Ex rang while the flight was in the air, paid the duty then and there and the guitar seemed to only take a day to clear customs.

I put it down to the big increase in prices to ship per Fedex etc having a flow through effect of people sending per the cheaper USPS postal service, the proof is in the eating with this. Many more packages and cartons sent per international airmail causing the backlog for clearance at the postal centres.
I've only ever had guitars shipped by Fedex etc over the decades and those big cos have an efficient prompt delivery procedure, USPS is a new experience.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

goldtop0 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:16 am

I put it down to the big increase in prices to ship per Fedex etc having a flow through effect of people sending per the cheaper USPS postal service, the proof is in the eating with this. Many more packages and cartons sent per international airmail causing the backlog for clearance at the postal centres.
I've only ever had guitars shipped by Fedex etc over the decades and those big cos have an efficient prompt delivery procedure, USPS is a new experience.
Shipped a few guitars with USPS over the last decade and never had an issue.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Jay wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:12 pm

As I found out today, there are no emails from NZ Post or prompts from them or the USPS tracking system to tell you that your package has passed through NZ Customs and is due for payment of GST or otherwise. You've got to contact NZ Post on a daily basis after your package has arrived and see if it's been processed. Given that they're getting increased business I think NZ Post and NZ Customs need to smarten up their act.
Their current modus operandi is that they send you out a letter with an invoice to pay the GST, and then they eventually release your package for delivery to you. That's so draconian this day and age.
In my case I supplied my Importer Code, email and mobile number...........not impressed.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

USPS is short of staff. The mail service is struggling. In addition, both USPS and FedEx are reporting problems with mail across the Mid-South because of winter weather.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

Had a parcel from ebay aus via Aus Post, it sat in Auckland for a week before it was handed over to courier post, whhheeeeeeee....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Mr Bungle »

goldtop0 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:26 pm

As I found out today, there are no emails from NZ Post or prompts from them or the USPS tracking system to tell you that your package has passed through NZ Customs and is due for payment of GST or otherwise. You've got to contact NZ Post on a daily basis after your package has arrived and see if it's been processed. Given that they're getting increased business I think NZ Post and NZ Customs need to smarten up their act.
Their current modus operandi is that they send you out a letter with an invoice to pay the GST, and then they eventually release your package for delivery to you. That's so draconian this day and age.
In my case I supplied my Importer Code, email and mobile number...........not impressed.
Yes, it’s antiquated in that part. But you need to use the USPS tracking number on NZ Post tracking. I did every day until it updated to show me duties were required. I followed the online links and paid online. That was easy. I just didn’t get notified after giving my email address so lost a day between checks.

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Mr Bungle »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:57 am Had a parcel from ebay aus via Aus Post, it sat in Auckland for a week before it was handed over to courier post, whhheeeeeeee....
My StewMac gear to aid setup of my already received Strat cleared for courier two weeks after arrival. No duties required either. Painful.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Mr Bungle wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:33 am
goldtop0 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:26 pm

Yes, it’s antiquated in that part. But you need to use the USPS tracking number on NZ Post tracking. I did every day until it updated to show me duties were required. I followed the online links and paid online. That was easy. I just didn’t get notified after giving my email address so lost a day between checks.

Yes that's the reality of it, daily checks.
Mine's now apparently on the way to me via their courier so delivery on Monday I hope, fingers and toes crossed :lol: