Pedal power supply recommendations?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 14 times

Pedal power supply recommendations?

Post by johnstratiwant »

Hi everyone,

I currently have a MXR M239 for my pedals. I noticed that there is a noise produced when using it with my eventide H9. I am not 100% sure if it is the power supply but considering upgrading the power supply. I was thinking:

Onespot truetone cs6
Strymon Zuma
Cioks Dc7- this seems to be the best but most $$

Any recommendation for isolated power supply?

Thanks!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Pedal power supply recommendations?

Post by robthemac »

I have the CS6 and CS7. No noise from either with a whole bunch of hungry digital pedals. If I had my time again I'd go for the Zuma with more high-current outputs.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Avoid Strymon, they have a unique 24v connector which is a bit notorious for breaking.
Onespot, Ciocks, Voodoo Labs are all good products.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Harley Benton if you want cheap and quiet, I have the PowerPlant ISO-10AC Pro, Thomann's shipping is extreme so buy some other stuff to make it worth your while, I can highly recommend the Harley Benton solderless cables!! :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

robthemac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:24 pm I have the CS6 and CS7. No noise from either with a whole bunch of hungry digital pedals. If I had my time again I'd go for the Zuma with more high-current outputs.
I was considering the cs6. They are nicely priced and slim factor too

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:30 pm Avoid Strymon, they have a unique 24v connector which is a bit notorious for breaking.
Onespot, Ciocks, Voodoo Labs are all good products.
Oh thanks for that, I never thought about that!

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:43 pm Harley Benton if you want cheap and quiet, I have the PowerPlant ISO-10AC Pro, Thomann's shipping is extreme so buy some other stuff to make it worth your while, I can highly recommend the Harley Benton solderless cables!! :-)
Is buying from Thomann cheap? I thought it would be bit expensive when everything adds up like the shipping price?

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

Has anyone tried the Fender Engine room power supply? They seem to be reasonably priced and looks nice but kinda big

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

johnstratiwant wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:19 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:43 pm Harley Benton if you want cheap and quiet, I have the PowerPlant ISO-10AC Pro, Thomann's shipping is extreme so buy some other stuff to make it worth your while, I can highly recommend the Harley Benton solderless cables!! :-)
Is buying from Thomann cheap? I thought it would be bit expensive when everything adds up like the shipping price?
If you're buying one item then shipping kills, but throw in some other stuff like pedals or cables and you save a ton on retail here :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:37 pm
johnstratiwant wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:19 pm
If you're buying one item then shipping kills, but throw in some other stuff like pedals or cables and you save a ton on retail here :)

Thanks for the info, I will have a look!

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 294 times

Post by murky »

Cioks DC7 - but it needs to be the “future power generation”. Pretty much as good as it gets - it’s got 4 selectable voltages on each output, and you can sit pedals directly on top of it and not get emf interference (important if you’re mounting under the board, or top mount on a cramped board). It’s also grunty AF - it’ll run an HX Stomp off one output. A lot of other supplies are probably going to be fine, but I’m firmly in the “buy once, cry once” camp.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

I have a Strymon Ojai that I use as a desktop power supply and it is great so the external power supply isn't an issue with that. But I could see using a power supply with a separate unit on a pedalboard would be an issue.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

murky wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:44 am Cioks DC7 - but it needs to be the “future power generation”. Pretty much as good as it gets - it’s got 4 selectable voltages on each output, and you can sit pedals directly on top of it and not get emf interference (important if you’re mounting under the board, or top mount on a cramped board). It’s also grunty AF - it’ll run an HX Stomp off one output. A lot of other supplies are probably going to be fine, but I’m firmly in the “buy once, cry once” camp.
Thanks for the info, i am considering cioks but they are on the pricey end compared to others

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

johnstratiwant wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:09 pm
murky wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:44 am Cioks DC7 - but it needs to be the “future power generation”. Pretty much as good as it gets - it’s got 4 selectable voltages on each output, and you can sit pedals directly on top of it and not get emf interference (important if you’re mounting under the board, or top mount on a cramped board). It’s also grunty AF - it’ll run an HX Stomp off one output. A lot of other supplies are probably going to be fine, but I’m firmly in the “buy once, cry once” camp.
Thanks for the info, i am considering cioks but they are on the pricey end compared to others
Admittedly. You're paying for newer/quieter technology, future-proofing your future voltage requirements (with 9/12/15/18 on all outputs), and its expandable if you move to a bigger board. It's tiny too. You'll likely be saving money in the long run.

Here's a good example of EMF noise from an old DC10 I had. The new DC7 doesn't have the same issue:

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

Apologies, not labouring the point, but found an old vid I did for a mate a while back who was also looking for a power supply. Supply on the bottom is the old DC10 (which by all accounts was probably the best you could get at the time). Top is new DC7 (FPG). Wah switched on through a cranked plexi - shows just how good the DC7 power supply is.

Good luck with the search, whatever you end up choosing!