Gretsch model number system?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Gretsch model number system?

Post by clubhouse »

Eerm...is there a system in the model number assignment to Gretsch guitars that describes their main features? Couldn't find out much from Google.

Specifically, I'd like to know what other hollow or semi-hollow bodied models have a scale length the same as a G6122 Country Gent. Is there anything in the numbers or was ol' Fred 'avin' a laugh.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Gretsch model number system?

Post by Jay »

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

About all I know is if it starts with a 6 it’s USA made, 5 is foreign made.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Jay wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:17 pm https://www.gretsch-talk.com/
Oh wow. Top tip. I finally found this:

"Gretsch has changed their system in recent years so it's become more complicated and less consistent.

Once upon a time, in the 50s, all the model numbers started with 6. The second number was 0 for acoustics and 1 for electrics. The last two were the specific model, although each color option had its own number. That's why there are numerous model numbers for the same guitar shape. This lasted through the 60s.

In the 70s, the first number changed to 7 and the last three were the specific model.

When the brand was revived, initially they used the old numbers for whichever model was being reissued, so it was mix of mostly 6s with some 7s. However a G was added in front to distinguish new from vintage. In the late 90s the 1 at the beginning was added for Synchromatic models and 2 for Electromatic models, which were cheaper versions. The 3 number was added for the Historic models. The second number was the series and the last two numbers were the specific model, which included color variations. Also in the early 2000s a new Electromatic line was created which started with 5. (1, 2 & 3 went away.) Some models had their numbers changed. The Corvette in the 60s was 6131-5, now it's part of the Electromatic series, thus G5135.

Now 2 is the lowest price Streamliner models, 5 is for the Electromatic models and 6 is for the Prolines. Older models retain the 1 second number with newer series represented by 2, 4, 6. The last two digits are still the specific models, sometimes historic based, others new. Color is sometimes incorporated into the specific model numbers, other times added to letters at the end. T is often added to indicate a tremolo version. Other letters are added to indicate lacquer or pickup options or other variations. Even those aren't standard. Most JR guitars are 14 inches across, but modern Falcon JRs are 16 inches. The Fender influence is felt most strongly here. While internally there may be some logic, in most cases I think the proliferation is intentional to confuse people and increase sales. (But I'm cynical.) It's still better than actual Fender numbers and names which over the years have led to 100s of Strat variations alone."

...but quite like this reply too. Reminded me of another forum...

"There's a guy at the factory, he has the best weed around... and a dart board...." :lol:

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

So, I think '6' at the start = Japan built. '5" at the start = China built.

Eerm...still battling with 'models in the current line-up having 24.6" scale length' question...help?