Rhett Shills Gibbons vs PRS

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 926 times

Re: Rhett Shills Gibbons vs PRS

Post by Reg18 »

Bg wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:04 pm
Reg18 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:00 pm
Jay wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:33 pm Guitar personality??? Can someone explain please what that is?
I don’t think personality can exist in a guitar due to “logic and facts” and the same could be said for cars too, if you think an E Type Jag has more personality than a Corolla it must be your own bias?
I think you're confusing personality with 'style' The E-Type is possibly the most stylish car in the world, the Corolla is possibly the most bland.
I think Corollas are pretty bland too, but if I used logic and reason to do all my purchasing, I should probably buy one due to reliability, consistency across the board, they can come with a decent engine too that will most likely be as quick with better reliability than most others. They might have made the perfect car?
However (much to parents disappointment) I’m more likely to chose something I enjoy driving than a Corolla and I can’t always explain what determines that, it’s partly style but more often than not how I feel when I drive it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7641 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:25 pm comparing apples and oranges doesn't a fruit salad make. Even adding buttah.

And we've already ascertained style is different
So style trumps all? subjective vs objective?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mikeincarnate326
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mikeincarnate326 »

Always been curious about prs guitars, never tried them. Some of the tops look stunning. Does the SE line hold up to the American made counter parts?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1413 times

Post by robthemac »

Mikeincarnate326 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:46 pm Always been curious about prs guitars, never tried them. Some of the tops look stunning. Does the SE line hold up to the American made counter parts?
Not sound-wise. But replace the electronics and you may well get there.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 658 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

My first experience of a PRS was the CU22 (I think) the other guitarist in my brother's old band had. Took me a couple of seconds to go "oh, this is what all the fuss is about". Incredibly easy to play, fit my playing style perfectly and the neck width and shape were spot on. I just didn't like the aesthetics, which is my only issue with PRSs in general.

The idea a guitar needs to be hard to play to be appreciated and enjoyed is silly.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by captainfruitbat »

This is all so down to personal preferences. I've been playing 45 years and have always wanted to love Les Pauls, but have yet to play one I could bond with. I had an SG that came close, but still not quite there. I've had one USA PRS (custom 22) and regret selling it. I've had a few PRS SEs and they've all been decent. Current main workhorse is an SE custom 24.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Agreed, personality was probably not the best word to illustrate what I meant. For me it’s more about feeling some kind of connection with the guitar, and that ‘connection’ is one that inspires me to want to pick it up and play it
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1339 times
Been liked: 2075 times

Post by GrantB »

I like PRS fit n finish and often the feel (except neck usually not fat enough), I do not like how they sound. There is something uninspiring about the amplified tone in the handful I've played. This video articulates this well, to my ears. I'm likely to be biased though. It's that whole "clarity" vs "aggressive" thing.

I love the look of that deep hollow body they did...in Antique Violin finish...hmmmmm.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 651 times
Been liked: 550 times

Post by TmcB »

PRS = Japanese Whisky. It’s perfect but doesn’t have quirks to make it truly special.
Gibsons = Peaty Scotch. Sometimes it is truly sublime, sometimes it’s licking a burnt whale
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

My experience is somewhat different.
The PRS guitars I first encountered were from the 90s and 00’s. They were excellently made, easy to play but stale.

The newer ones, with the lower wind pickups, are often just delightful, with great tone and a dynamic feel. In short, to me they feel like old guitars, with lots of character.

Gibsons still look a bit more rock&roll of course, with all that history. But it is nice to play a guitar that I can wear for 3 hours without a getting sore back :-).

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7641 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

Gibbons is definitely a struggle with its boat anchor weight and sloppy string tension, lack of tuning stability and headstock falling-off-ness, but they do look cool!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I can't watch a video by Rhett Shill, but I've owned a number of PRS guitars and none have stayed. The USA Singlecut I had was great to be fair and I regret selling it. My sloppy boat anchor Gibbons has outlasted everything :)
Loving it so far

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Plenty of LP’s out there that are around 4kg or just under, many of the Custom Shop’s are under I’m guessing as the best woods are reserved for them. Funnily enough I did watch the David Grissom video this arvo, before this thread existed. Maybe it’s a message from above :angel:

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxrxLRWhbF8&t=15s[/youtube]

Sorry, not sure why it's not letting post the YT link properly
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 414 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

TmcB wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:24 pm PRS = Japanese Whisky. It’s perfect but doesn’t have quirks to make it truly special.
Gibsons = Peaty Scotch. Sometimes it is truly sublime, sometimes it’s licking a burnt whale
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

The intonation on a PRS seems far better. I don't know how exactly. It just does.

Paul himself comes across as a bit of a dick these days. Like he and he alone understands what it is to make a good guitar.

Anyway, I wonder, can anybody point to a great, classic guitar tone / piece of guitar music that was performed on a PRS?