Rhett Shills Gibbons vs PRS

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Rhett Shills Gibbons vs PRS

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

Re: Rhett Shills Gibbons vs PRS

Post by Reg18 »

I remember the first time I tried a proper PRS, a mate bought one for around 3.5k back in the early 2000s. It was my ultimate goal to get a PRS and a Dual Rectifier, and I was super exited to try it.
I just never bonded with it and it took me along time to figure out why, it played perfectly but just had no personality. It was the same with Ibanez for me too, played perfectly but never bonded.
Plenty of accusations flew about brand snobbery and it was only because it said Gibson or Fender on the headstock, ultimately Ibanez and PRS were better, and logically I could see that could be true.
But all these years later I still find the same, I can usually tell if I’ll love a guitar within minutes of playing it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I've owned a ton of ibanez guitars, they're great tools but agree they're a bit clinical, they're like CNC machines vs hand tools (Gibbons).
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

I found myself in the same boat as you Reg. Bought one last year I think, quite a nice top on it and looked exactly how I wanted a PRS to look. It felt and sounded a bit sterile and I just never bonded with it, knew within a couple of days that it wasn’t going to be a keeper

I’ve played a few since then with no desire for another; maybe the expensive top-end ones are a different breed and have the personality that the lower ranged ones lack
Attachments
E93AB4DB-F6D9-438F-951B-4B8C98207932.jpeg
E93AB4DB-F6D9-438F-951B-4B8C98207932.jpeg (120.87 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

MiniForklift wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:39 pm I found myself in the same boat as you Reg. Bought one last year I think, quite a nice top on it and looked exactly how I wanted a PRS to look. It felt and sounded a bit sterile and I just never bonded with it, knew within a couple of days that it wasn’t going to be a keeper

I’ve played a few since then with no desire for another; maybe the expensive top-end ones are a different breed and have the personality that the lower ranged ones lack
I've played very few bad PRS guitars, but a tonne of bad Fender and Gibsons. I don't think I could buy a F/G guitar online or untested. I'd happily do it for a PRS though.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I saw that earlier today, quite interesting, I liked my PRS soapbar but I do prefer my LP Special.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:43 pm
MiniForklift wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:39 pm I found myself in the same boat as you Reg. Bought one last year I think, quite a nice top on it and looked exactly how I wanted a PRS to look. It felt and sounded a bit sterile and I just never bonded with it, knew within a couple of days that it wasn’t going to be a keeper

I've played very few bad PRS guitars, but a tonne of bad Fender and Gibsons. I don't think I could buy a F/G guitar online or untested. I'd happily do it for a PRS though.
He mentions this in the video too, you could pick up a PRS Custom 24 online or in a shop on the other side of the world and it would feel and play the same as every other one.
A Gibson is something you would want to play first to find the one. Not all are good and they don’t have the perfect consistency of a company like PRS. I’d say I’m definitely a feel player and how music “feels” is way more important to me than the perfectly crafted song, same goes for guitars. But I get that people like different things and
Music and we all have preferences hence people are still buying both in most likely large numbers.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Guitar personality??? Can someone explain please what that is?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Jay wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:33 pm Guitar personality??? Can someone explain please what that is?
No personality == too easy to play and doesn't make your boy parts throb, personality == bit of a struggle and everything is wobbling in time to the vibrations of the strings!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I've never understood this "I need my guitar to be a bit of a struggle, to make me work harder" thing. Cos I don't see any of you guys playing Ashton or cranking the action to 28 thou at the 12th fret. Happy to sharpen your fret ends too if it gives it a bit more 'personality' and less 'sterile' as your blood pours down the fretboard.

I like my guitars to play like buttah.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:43 pm I've never understood this "I need my guitar to be a bit of a struggle, to make me work harder" thing. Cos I don't see any of you guys playing Ashton or cranking the action to 28 thou at the 12th fret. Happy to sharpen your fret ends too if it gives it a bit more 'personality' and less 'sterile' as your blood pours down the fretboard.
Is this the playability equivalent of relicing?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Jay wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:33 pm Guitar personality??? Can someone explain please what that is?
I don’t think personality can exist in a guitar due to “logic and facts” and the same could be said for cars too, if you think an E Type Jag has more personality than a Corolla it must be your own bias?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Reg18 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:00 pm
I don’t think personality can exist in a guitar due to “logic and facts” and the same could be said for cars too, if you think an E Type Jag has more personality than a Corolla it must be your own bias?
I think you're confusing personality with 'style' The E-Type is possibly the most stylish car in the world, the Corolla is possibly the most bland.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:04 pm
Reg18 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:00 pm
I think you're confusing personality with 'style' The E-Type is possibly the most stylish car in the world, the Corolla is possibly the most bland.
Ahhh but having driven an E-Type it is a struggle where as the corolla is like buttah....

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

comparing apples and oranges doesn't a fruit salad make. Even adding buttah.

And we've already ascertained style is different