Real or fake? 72 Telecaster

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Re: Real or fake? 73 Telecaster

Post by jeremyb »

Could be a ceramic magnet too which might explain the low output even with high ohms...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 926 times

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:42 pm Could be a ceramic magnet too which might explain the low output even with high ohms...
Hadn’t considered that.
if the pickup can be repaired for not a big cost I’m tempted to just order a set of Mr Glyn pickups to put in and keep the originals in the case.
I’ll test the originals properly first but i remember loving the pickups in your Strat (bellbirds?) so I’d imagine would be hard to wrong with a set of his Tele pickups.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:30 pm
jeremyb wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:42 pm Could be a ceramic magnet too which might explain the low output even with high ohms...
Hadn’t considered that.
if the pickup can be repaired for not a big cost I’m tempted to just order a set of Mr Glyn pickups to put in and keep the originals in the case.
I’ll test the originals properly first but i remember loving the pickups in your Strat (bellbirds?) so I’d imagine would be hard to wrong with a set of his Tele pickups.
Sweeet! Yep bellbirds, Glyn has his pickup game on point!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 414 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

High dc resistance and a mellow tone could just be because it’s more turns of lower gauge wire. That’s a shitload more likely than ceramic polepiece magnets.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

The more I read the more I think mine must be an outlier.
All the examples I can find give early to mid 70 S Tele pickups with 5.8-6.2k on the bridge and 6.5k ish on the neck pickup. They look original though so not sure what to think.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 695 times

Post by AiRdAd »

That's great idea Ben had to send both pickups to Glyn - that way, if Glyn has to rewind the broken one, he can match it with the other one. Pots/resisters go off spec over time. I've had instances where I've changed the pots/resisters on an older guitar (or a newer guitar with budget pots/resisters) and it's totally transformed the sound of the pickups. I think there's room for you to experiment a bit in this area. Wire up a loom with 250k,500k,1meg pots, and try some different spec resisters etc. you could also try a four way switch :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Reg18 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:31 am The more I read the more I think mine must be an outlier.
All the examples I can find give early to mid 70 S Tele pickups with 5.8-6.2k on the bridge and 6.5k ish on the neck pickup. They look original though so not sure what to think.
Yeah, that’s not been my experience. I’ve only owned one 70s Tele but have a couple of mates with them and both had similar measurements and characteristics to yours. I vaguely remember one even had a low DC resistance on the bridge pickup (somewhere around 7k) and with the neck up towards 10k. The bridge was still punchier and way brighter- they sounded spectacular together too.

Don’t sweat it. See what Glynn says about the bridge pickup and ask his advice if in doubt. See what they’re like when it comes back- if it doesn’t sizzle your bacon, you can always order a set of his Tele pickups and keep the originals for if/when you decide to sell it.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

bender wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:59 am
Reg18 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:31 am The more I read the more I think mine must be an outlier.
Yeah, that’s not been my experience. I’ve only owned one 70s Tele but have a couple of mates with them and both had similar measurements and characteristics to yours. I vaguely remember one even had a low DC resistance on the bridge pickup (somewhere around 7k) and with the neck up towards 10k. The bridge was still punchier and way brighter- they sounded spectacular together too.

Don’t sweat it. See what Glynn says about the bridge pickup and ask his advice if in doubt. See what they’re like when it comes back- if it doesn’t sizzle your bacon, you can always order a set of his Tele pickups and keep the originals for if/when you decide to sell it.
Solid advise

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Some interesting updates for people.
According to Mr Glyn it doesn’t look like a factory pickup so my guess is they both might have been changed.
As an educated guess as the pots are dated 78, the guitar got a bit of a birthday in 78 with new Schaller tuners, new pickups and pots to match. But I’d love to know what the pickups are if anyone recognises them? What did Dimarzios look like in late 70s?
I’ve also asked for help on the Telecaster forum and it looks to be a late 72 according to some people on there.
Based on the serial/ neck date and the body shape changed in 73 apparently with the neck pocket/upper bout changed shape a bit do looks to be late 72.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Cool! Gotta love Glynn.

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

If it's a 72 then dibs! I don't think anyone has put dibs on it yet!? Surprising...

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

vyfster wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:34 pm If it's a 72 then dibs! I don't think anyone has put dibs on it yet!? Surprising...
Dibs noted, although its looking like a keeper at this stage.
Once I’ve got pickups sorted (and a new parchment pickguard on the way) I’ll play it for a while and see if it suits me. Body is heavy (as is the case with most 70s Fenders) but the neck seems about perfect! It’s thicker than a modern C but not a massive bass ball bat either, it’s played in nicely and feels great! I guess 50 years of playing is hard to replicate.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Update, Glyn repaired the old bridge pickup.
It’s measuring 14.2k!!
Someone on the telecaster forum thought it looked like a Dimarzio Pre-B1 with the original Fender bottom plate put on and the 14.2k ohm reading would certainly indicate that is likely. The Pre-B1 was around in the late 70s too so I’m
Guessing it’s a set of Dimarzio pickups both neck and bridge.
In light of that I’ve decided to buy a set of Mr Glyn Cruel Mistress pickups to put in it. They sound like they should be a big upgrade and I’ll keep the original dimarzios in the case as part of its story.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I had a pre b1 in my old Esquire. Such a good sounding pickup.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Real or fake? 72 Telecaster

Post by Reg18 »

All parts parchment pickguard arrived today so the guitar is pretty much complete. Mr Glyn Cruel mistress pickups installed which sound great!
Gonna leave it as is for now, original (most likely Dimarzio) pickups, pots and 3 way switch have been kept as part of its story.
Gonna leave the brass nut on as I don’t mind it.
Here’s a demo I did this morning which shows it with the parchment guard on, I much prefer it to the black!