Real or fake? 72 Telecaster

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: Real or fake? 73 Telecaster

Post by Reg18 »

:clap:
bender wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:06 am
Reg18 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:03 am What should I get the bridge pickup wound to?
The neck is 10k but sounds really mellow, even with 1
Meg pots it’s not the most bright sounding neck pickup I’ve heard. Im guessing if the neck is 10k the bridge would need to be at least that too, anyone have more accurate info on 70s Tele pickups?
Talk to Glynn, he’ll 100% have the answer.

Glynn just got back to me and said often 70s Teles had 1 Meg pots from factory, I guess that means they might be original? Anyone know how to date them?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:24 am :clap:
Reg18 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:03 am What should I get the bridge pickup wound to?
Meg pots it’s not the most bright sounding neck pickup I’ve heard. Im guessing if the neck is 10k the bridge would need to be at least that too, anyone have more accurate info on 70s Tele pickups?

Glynn just got back to me and said often 70s Teles had 1 Meg pots from factory, I guess that means they might be original? Anyone know how to date them?
The internet is your friend: https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/re ... _codes.php
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:31 am

The internet is your friend: https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/re ... _codes.php
Cheers, looks like they are CTS made in 1978 so won’t be original anyway.
Attachments
531DAFA0-4A8D-4A90-8631-EAEB36723EA2.jpeg
531DAFA0-4A8D-4A90-8631-EAEB36723EA2.jpeg (11.17 MiB) Viewed 1449 times

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Oof! He may be able to match the original pickup as it is.

Fuck this is exciting! I’m envious, but also really stoked for you. Great stuff!

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

My first thought was... did Dimarzio even exist in the early 70's? And it looks like they did:
https://reverb.com/news/a-brief-history-of-dimarzio-inc

Barely though. I've never read about the relationship between Fender and Dimarzio so early into Dimarzio's existence - anyone know the guff?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oof! He may be able to match the original pickup as it is.

Fuck this is exciting! I’m envious, but also really stoked for you. Great stuff!
[/quote]

Thankfully my wife was understanding about it, I’ll still need to sell a couple of things this week but she saw it as an “investment opportunity” as apposed to an impulse buy.
Feeling a little bit of pressure to get the right balance of period correct vs player grade.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

it's your guitar, do what you like. I think with the refret and general condition and mods, top dollar resale value isn't something to worry about at this stage. Just enjoy it for what it is man. Unless you bought it to flip it, there's no fun in reigning in your own enjoyment.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:31 am it's your guitar, do what you like. I think with the refret and general condition and mods, top dollar resale value isn't something to worry about at this stage. Just enjoy it for what it is man. Unless you bought it to flip it, there's no fun in reigning in your own enjoyment.
100% agree. That’s the beauty of an instrument like this- you can do what you like without worrying too much about that.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:31 am it's your guitar, do what you like. I think with the refret and general condition and mods, top dollar resale value isn't something to worry about at this stage. Just enjoy it for what it is man. Unless you bought it to flip it, there's no fun in reigning in your own enjoyment.
I’ve bought it to play, but ultimately it’s been drummed into me from an early age to always look ahead to resale on anything.
This becomes really apparent when you go house buying and the last owner had a fetish for purple and green tiles and they added in a splash back with a portrait of there favourite dead pet printed across them, which they seem to have assumed everyone else will love too!
Sometimes neutrals throughout would have been a better financial decision, if you catch my drift.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

I get that entirely. But that ship has sailed. The refret, the non original parts... Why worry about it. You'll definitely get back what you put into it because whichever way you slice it it's still a vintage tele.

Restoring it to factory fresh will cost a bomb and might not yield any gains anyway upon exit.

But that's just me. It's not my project, not my money, not my guitar, but I never see instruments as anything other than to be played how I want them to be played (and sound and look).

Only one person can answer this one, and he's looking at you in the mirror.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:16 am
I’ve bought it to play, but ultimately it’s been drummed into me from an early age to always look ahead to resale on anything.
This becomes really apparent when you go house buying and the last owner had a fetish for purple and green tiles and they added in a splash back with a portrait of there favourite dead pet printed across them, which they seem to have assumed everyone else will love too!
Sometimes neutrals throughout would have been a better financial decision, if you catch my drift.
:lol: :clap: so true!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Loaded in a Wilkinson bridge pickup from my other Tele to get it going. Worked well to do a demo for this fuzz pedal.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Bridge pickup has been sent to Gyln for either repair if possible or rewind if not.
Now the question of what Spec to wind?
The neck pickup is very mellow sounding even with the 1 Meg pots but measures 9.8k.
All the 70s telecaster pickups I’ve been researching are more like 7-8k, so what to do? I know ohms isn’t always the best gauge of output volume but it can be too.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Reg18 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:39 pm Bridge pickup has been sent to Gyln for either repair if possible or rewind if not.
Now the question of what Spec to wind?
The neck pickup is very mellow sounding even with the 1 Meg pots but measures 9.8k.
All the 70s telecaster pickups I’ve been researching are more like 7-8k, so what to do? I know ohms isn’t always the best gauge of output volume but it can be too.
I would have sent him both!

He may be able to guesstimate and match if he’s rewinding. I’d go for something quite classic and on the bright/punchy side (because that’s what I like and it pair really well with a mellow neck pickup). But really, you should just tell him the kind of bridge pickup sound you like, and let him loose.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

It could be a deguassed magnet. It's easy to rest if you have a gauss meter, and then is just a matter of remagnetising. That would explain the lack of beef with a 10k wind... All other things presumed to be within spec that is.