Good Tuners

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Good Tuners

Post by Slowy »

20221119_124041.jpg
20221119_124041.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 1325 times
I want tuners that are smooth and precise. I'm not familiar with these Gotohs but I find them a bit rough; like the string is catching in the nut. (It isn't).

Anybody know them? Is that what they're like or do they need some TLC? What do yoou recommend as really good ones?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1627 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Re: Good Tuners

Post by Jay »

Got nothing bad to say about gotoh tuners. Gotoh 510 are superb imo...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

Sounds like your strings are catching in your nuts, even though you say they aren't. Gotoh are generally smooth and precise.
So just the same with the strings off?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1302 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

I use the 6-in-line version of these and they are fantastic on my Andronis Telecaster. https://graphtech.com/collections/ratio ... 3-per-side. Each tuner has a different gear ratio and is dedicated to the string it tunes. Meaning equal turn of the tuner delivers an equal change of pitch for every string. Plus they are have rock solid tuning stability. Not cheap though but when did that ever stop us!
Last edited by MikeC on Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 241 times
Been liked: 586 times

Post by Starfire »

You can get split-shaft Gotohs in 3x3:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392829127203

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:50 pm Sounds like your strings are catching in your nuts, even though you say they aren't. Gotoh are generally smooth and precise.
Cool. I needed to know they're fundamentally sound. Now I'll look deeper. :thumbup:
And so far, it's still running the strings it came with. Nowt wrong with them.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

I've got some terrible gold 3x3's which I pulled off my old HB335, you should put those on so you can feel grateful for the lovely gotohs you have on there!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Just put banana's in the gearbox and sell them on.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:49 pm
Bg wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:50 pm Sounds like your strings are catching in your nuts, even though you say they aren't. Gotoh are generally smooth and precise.
Cool. I needed to know they're fundamentally sound. Now I'll look deeper. :thumbup:
sorry, I meant what do they feel like 'stringless' , without strings as it were...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:00 pm
Slowy wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:49 pm
sorry, I meant what do they feel like 'stringless' , without strings as it were...
sorry, because it still has the strings I bought it with, I've not felt the tuners without strings yet.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 1395 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

First thing I would do is fit new strings.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:10 am First thing I would do is fit new strings.
I just broke the piggy bank restringing the last bunch. :lol: