NGD - But sadly not mine….

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Re: NGD - But sadly not mine….

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:52 pm Sounding good, Bruce.
Yeah, this one's special. It talks to me. I've waited most of my lifetime for a humbucker guitar I felt comfortable with.

(Found a few, but the $$$ were crippling).
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 834 times
Been liked: 355 times

Post by jimi »

Slowy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:39 pm The neck pickup Is somewhere I could live for days (I have never said that before). At one end of the scale is a lovely Blues wail and at the other, delicate acoustic guitar, rich in harmonics and drifting on seemingly endless sustain. It also punched me in the ears and tried to rip my head off. I was shocked to discover it wasn't the 59 I was hearing.
The neck pickup is definitely my happy place on a LP or 335. Big warm tones, have my drive set up so dialing volume back to 3-4 is my clean tone, and roll it up for some crunch and bluesy lead.

Flicking to the bridge to tighten it up or cut through the mix.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1413 times

Post by robthemac »

jimi wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:05 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:39 pm The neck pickup Is somewhere I could live for days (I have never said that before). At one end of the scale is a lovely Blues wail and at the other, delicate acoustic guitar, rich in harmonics and drifting on seemingly endless sustain. It also punched me in the ears and tried to rip my head off. I was shocked to discover it wasn't the 59 I was hearing.
The neck pickup is definitely my happy place on a LP or 335. Big warm tones, have my drive set up so dialing volume back to 3-4 is my clean tone, and roll it up for some crunch and bluesy lead.

Yep, big fan of neck pickup on a 335 into a bright, clean amp. That's my go-to sounds.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jimi wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:05 am

Yeah... that seems to be the way to drive mine too. What pickups are you using Jimi?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Post by jeremyb »

The best tone on a 335 is middle position, neck pickup volume on full and its tone on zero, bridge pickup tone on full and volume down to about a third...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Slowy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:27 pm
Yeah... that seems to be the way to drive mine too. What pickups are you using Jimi?
57 Classics in the 335
Burstbuckers in the LP
SD Alnico II pros in the Ash guitar

So 3 different flavours of PAF style HBs

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jimi wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:16 pm
Slowy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:27 pm
57 Classics in the 335
Burstbuckers in the LP
SD Alnico II pros in the Ash guitar

So 3 different flavours of PAF style HBs
Do you find much real difference between them?

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Slowy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:19 am Do you find much real difference between them?
I do in the guitars, but I'm not discerning enough to know how much is pickups vs the setup vs the construction. They're not different to the degree that I change amp/pedal settings when I change guitars, or have any must use this guitar for this song differences.

The LP has that chunky LP thing going on, the 335 is subtly less aggressive, more bluesy, and the body responds to gain differently as a semi hollow. The Ash I have set up for 4hr gigs, strung with 9s, and its a thinner body and much lighter guitar, so it doesnt quite have the same tone thickness as the LP, but with the band playing no one but me will notice the difference.

I've never swapped pickups between guitars, or even sat down and just switched between them to listen to the differences.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 658 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jimi wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:10 am but with the band playing no one but me will notice the difference.
Apart from the one guy at the back of the gig who keeps staring at you and comes up afterwards to make some comment about your tone, which quickly turns into him spending the next 45 minutes telling you about all of his gear.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1413 times

Post by robthemac »

Danger Mouse wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:19 pm
jimi wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:10 am but with the band playing no one but me will notice the difference.
Apart from the one guy at the back of the gig who keeps staring at you and comes up afterwards to make some comment about your tone, which quickly turns into him spending the next 45 minutes telling you about all of his gear.
Glad you remember how we met.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.