Has Aria lifted their game or they better stock now more available?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Has Aria lifted their game or they better stock now more available?

Post by Gitar »

Just a few of the models catching my eye.

Not quite to the level the $1k Colt's are now, but still, small things things like the thumb wheel truss rod adjustment at the bottom of the fretboard is super handy and has become super volume. the Player Series factory does it for Charvel/EVH and of course Fender.

Just seems like there are more guitars about because the companies have lifted their quality control and functionality. Ive not tried an aria so I have no idea if I would have a lot of fretork to do and whether they roll the fretboards.

I like this classic model, they have more high end modls, but with something this basic you would want a well finished neck etc, all the basics well finished.. https://ariaguitarsglobal.com/product/6 ... -classics/

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 1285 times

Re: Has Aria lifted their game or they better stock now more available?

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:51 pm This is almost cool
https://ariaguitarsglobal.com/product/retro-1532/
Indeed, its very much suiting that Goth Punk pop scene.

Im certainly not saying Aria is my go too ;-p. But the quality control seems to have picked up and this is very much a trend with all companies, some have changed countries and manufactures. Most of all they majority have improved the vision of the guitar brand to the manufacturer and what is delivered has improved dramtically. Even just Fender with the MiM Player Series factory and the Charvels especially but also EVH, Jackson etc. Much easier for QC, but quality control still needs to be a focus and it definitely seems to have changed, even compared to 20 years back.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1413 times

Post by robthemac »

Aria used to make really quite high-end archtops in the early 2000s, I think. Maybe they were made at a different factory or something, but they were fantastic guitars. Gibson's efforts if the same era were more than twice the price and half as good, but not many people were willing to drop $3000 on an Aria. I nearly did and kinda regret not doing so.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 441 times
Been liked: 373 times

Post by dayl »

Was looking earlier and almost though this was coolish
https://www.kbbmusic.co.nz/aria-714-jh- ... maple-neck

the one sirvil linked is around the $500 mark.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 241 times
Been liked: 587 times

Post by Starfire »

https://ariaguitarsglobal.com/product/dm-206/

This would be cool with a vibrato and a not-boring colour.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Gitar wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:19 pm Has Aria lifted their game
Not sure what you mean. In my experience they always made decent guitars for the money. Just need the tuners, nut and electrics upgraded.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 478 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

JHorner wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:04 pm
Not sure what you mean. In my experience they always made decent guitars for the money. Just need the tuners, nut and electrics upgraded.
This. Aria Pro ii's are especially nice guitars. I have one of these from their platinum series. Japanese made and absolutely flawless. I'd comfortably put this against a 335 that costs nearly 3 times as much.

images.jpeg
images.jpeg (25.32 KiB) Viewed 3323 times

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

JHorner wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:04 pm Just need the tuners, nut and electrics upgraded.
:-)

The Pro models are definitely in the game, although the Ibanez artcore offering has something rather nice at every price point for semi hollows. I saw an Epi dot/335 on FB the other day, not sure if its still there, if anyone is interested.

Talking with anohter memeber recently about how incredibly well finished and even high end some models of Cort have become. The higher level X series and the G290 straight are solid instruments, but there is more. Given they have been making guitars for so long, Im wondering how long it will take to break the customer perception. Personally I dont give a F what a guitar is called or branded, how does the neck and body weight feel, does it give me the tone Im after, a bit more to it than that, but a lot of brands that some pass by catch my eye. Price is of course relevant, especially now you can get insanely good guitars for $1k now, more so if importing.

Aria have been around for nearly 70 years, I doubt they are going anywhere, its just nice to see some modern flavour and availability, could be a sign they "may" be branching out from Japan a bit more.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Ive been looking at Aria a bit more closely. I think the thing with cheap guitars is, us that are a bit older remember when cheap really did mean crap (60s-2005ish). These days it seems you can get guitars for peanuts that rival guitars 4-5x their price.

For me the the Kramer Focus is in there, Aria, Harley Benton, some Artist models etc.

The 2 Aria's that have caught my eye. Starting with the TEG-TL (Pro 615 II) https://ariaguitarsglobal.com/product/6 ... -classics/ From the reviews I have read it is quite excellent, the neck is a bit fat but that pretty much in line with traditional Telecasters. It has the Truss rod thumb wheel on the fretboard overhang which is always nice. I do wish it had baked maple like the other model I like. I also wish there was was a HB/S setup not just the ash tray single coil single neck setup, but thats not hard to fix withs some routing and for me Id prefer a simple flat bridge (a few come to mind). I much prefer the natural finish to the blonde.

The other one I like is the 714-MK2 -Fullerton series, in particular the Blue or the Pewter grey flamed maple tops, but the white model looks awesome too. They do a traditional Hendrix right hand upside down model which is essentially a left hand Strat lol. They may all be Poplar/Okume bodies, but they also have some good features, again the thumbwheel truss is very handy, becoming popular from the Fender player series factory ie Charvel, EVH etc. They have roasted maple necks but are not as deep (darkr brown) as some more expensive guitars, but they still look good to me. The main point of interest for me which should be a given now days is the reduced heel/neck join, providing easier upper neck access areas. They use Alnico 5 pickups so quite grunty, they sound pretty good from the reviews Ive heard, but given access to cheap seymour duncans Id probably put an SH10 or SH6 in the bridge and SSL 6 in the middle and ssl 1 (or 6 in the neck). I know the Fulll Shred pickups will make a difference, not so sure about the mid/neck. Id probably also consider routing in a floyd rose (a hardened steel licensed version) or possibly one of the floating vintage trems you can get these days. But Id wait to see how she sounds and how the trem plays first. https://ariaguitarsglobal.com/product/714-mk2/

If Harley Benion didnt charge GST on their models I would probably be more interested in theirs, but more to the point is they are charging "expediated" shipping only at the moment which adds another $250. An excellent cheap $300 strat turns into $600 very quickly. I prefer another German shop for mainstream guitar imports now. Kramer Focus is only $260 and it is quite an excellent strat for the money. Still, the heel and the baked maple neck keep my interest on the area. There are some Artist models that I am interested in but different styles (the PRS style and the Single cut active pup model).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9m-9or ... l=EMPMusic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHYtElJ ... =AriaUKLtd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qCvHd ... ndonesiaTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekV8GFw ... veMagazine

https://ariaguitarsglobal.com/wp-conten ... 0x1800.jpg

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Just noticed this review, the Red strat he uses has a MUCH deep baked maple. Also keep in mind it is not a single piece, as in the Fretboard and the Neck are seperate, both baked maple, but unlike most baked maple necks not a single piece, but I dont see any issue with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orUymW2 ... athanCordy

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

IMOCD wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:24 pm
This. Aria Pro ii's are especially nice guitars. I have one of these from their platinum series. Japanese made and absolutely flawless. I'd comfortably put this against a 335 that costs nearly 3 times as much.
images.jpeg
2016-11-20 16.04.57_preview.jpeg
2016-11-20 16.04.57_preview.jpeg (732.28 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Is that my old one?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 478 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Slowy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:11 am

images.jpeg

Is that my old one?
Tis indeed, sir. (Via Oleg's Emporium) Gorgeous guitar, but like yourself, struggling a bit with HB's, even with the PAF Seth's. Tempted to go down the filtertron route with it.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

IMOCD wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:07 pm
Slowy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:11 am

images.jpeg

Is that my old one?
Tis indeed, sir. (Via Oleg's Emporium) Gorgeous guitar, but like yourself, struggling a bit with HB's, even with the PAF Seth's. Tempted to go down the filtertron route with it.
I swing wildly with Humbuggies. When I have some, I can never make them work for me. When I don't have any, I'm sure they're the answer. :roll: :lol:
I thought those Seth Lovers were really good.
How about P90s rather than Filtertrons? (I replaced this with a Filtertron equipped Doozy which I also no longer have.)
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.