Best option for couriering item over $2k?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Best option for couriering item over $2k?

Post by Zaulkin »

Hi folks,

Usually if I am sending stuff I use nzpost, but they only insure up to $2k. I need to send an item just over that threshold.

If I had an issue with nzpost, would I get paid out $2k if they lost the parcel? Or would I get zero because of the value being slightly over the limit?

What is the next best option? I got a quote from pack n send but it was very expensive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Best option for couriering item over $2k?

Post by jeremyb »

If you can setup a NZ Post account you can get cover over $2k on courier post, they will pay out upto $2k otherwise however its at their discretion as to what they value it at etc... all sounds a bit fineprinty to me...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jops »

Separate pieces.

or send 2 decoys then the real thing. Talk it up real loud in the post shop when sending the decoys....

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Zaulkin wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:09 pm Hi folks,

Usually if I am sending stuff I use nzpost, but they only insure up to $2k. I need to send an item just over that threshold.

If I had an issue with nzpost, would I get paid out $2k if they lost the parcel? Or would I get zero because of the value being slightly over the limit?

What is the next best option? I got a quote from pack n send but it was very expensive.
I went through this dilemma when selling my SG recently where the sale price was well over double what the maximum liability cove from either NZ Post or Aramex would offer. P&S quoted me about $270 to send from Aucks > Q-Town insured for the sale price, which I offered to pay roughly 30% of but the buyer cheaped out and went for NZ Post.

I think if the buyer is willing to take the risk and you get this in writing (I basically asked him straight out and screenshot his answer of "I will take the risk on this ") then it's no longer on you and that admission would hold water in the even of a small-claims scenario.

In the end, all went right, but I can't understand why people drop nuts and skimp on shipping after dropping thousands of $ on something... seems absurd.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

The Scarecrow wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:19 am
Zaulkin wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:09 pm Hi folks,

I went through this dilemma when selling my SG recently where the sale price was well over double what the maximum liability cove from either NZ Post or Aramex would offer. P&S quoted me about $270 to send from Aucks > Q-Town insured for the sale price, which I offered to pay roughly 30% of but the buyer cheaped out and went for NZ Post.

I think if the buyer is willing to take the risk and you get this in writing (I basically asked him straight out and screenshot his answer of "I will take the risk on this ") then it's no longer on you and that admission would hold water in the even of a small-claims scenario.

In the end, all went right, but I can't understand why people drop nuts and skimp on shipping after dropping thousands of $ on something... seems absurd.
Agreed. Went with pack n send in the end which he was cool with.