Guitar shopping in Nashville

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Guitar shopping in Nashville

Post by Gitar »

David Gilmour used a Gold Top P90 LP for a solo, Im pretty sure it was Money. Anyway, Im pretty sure it was a 57,

I feel so jealous, Nashville has so many guitarists I enjoy and follow on youtube.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2462 times

Post by Slowy »

Gitar wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:45 am David Gilmour used a Gold Top P90 LP for a solo........
Another Brick in the Wall.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

What a great trip Vox, will be doing the same myself at the end of next year.

Re Carters, Walter(the old boy) worked with Gibson for a good number of years before opening his store, and that suspicious marshall was just that unfortunately and maybe 10-12 years ago now. They're straight up good traders no doubt about it but didn't recognise the fugazi amp they had bought is all.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gitar »

Slowy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:30 am
Gitar wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:45 am David Gilmour used a Gold Top P90 LP for a solo........
haha there it is and I was going to type that instead.

Not sure how old you are, but once you old enough not to be able to trust your memory, usually the first thing that comes to my mind is correct, then I start going, am I sure that was the song.... haha

A LOT, almost all, thought that was just the usual DG strat, probably most people still do.

My point is you can get some much damn versatility with those older p90s in a solid single cut slab of mahogany. Everything from Black Sabbath in the bridge to Hendrix semi clean tone solos and even Claptons "Woman" tone.

I wanna move to Nashville in my next life and have a singing voice and have take guitar more seriously at 11yo (memories of 1950s folk songs I had to learn, ugggh)

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

MiniForklift wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:56 am Sounds like you've hit some amazing places! I have fond memories of the Bahamas, the beaches there are just ridiculous

What were the Dumble's and Trainwreck that you saw? I'd hate to think what the pricetags were on those amps ?!
The Dumbles were a special 100 from the 70’s and an Overdrive special, and the Trainwreck was an Express.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

robthemac wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:05 am Can't wait to see some pictures and hear your thoughts! Especially on Dumbles compared to your Two Rock.
The Dumble special 100 only had a clean channel and it was glorious, by far the best clean tone out of a lot of great amps on display for my liking. But I heard it at songbirds being played, I didn’t play it myself and so much of the magic is in the feel when playing it and I love the reverb on my two rock as much as the clean tone so hard to compare.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Gitar wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:02 pm
Slowy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:30 am
haha there it is and I was going to type that instead.

Not sure how old you are, but once you old enough not to be able to trust your memory, usually the first thing that comes to my mind is correct, then I start going, am I sure that was the song.... haha

A LOT, almost all, thought that was just the usual DG strat, probably most people still do.

My point is you can get some much damn versatility with those older p90s in a solid single cut slab of mahogany. Everything from Black Sabbath in the bridge to Hendrix semi clean tone solos and even Claptons "Woman" tone.

I wanna move to Nashville in my next life and have a singing voice and have take guitar more seriously at 11yo (memories of 1950s folk songs I had to learn, ugggh)

I got some '52 P90s a few years ago and put them in my R6, it's like having 3 different guitars in the 3 selector switch positions, and that's why I prefer P90s to humbuckers. The stock Gibson pups are good but the old ones are a step ahead.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.