Thoughts on ASH + ROSEWOOD strat??

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Re: Thoughts on ASH + ROSEWOOD strat??

Post by calling card »

I once had a US 74 strat, light ash, maple neck and hardtail. Rose tinted glasses & all and a long time ago but that thing was the stratiest quackiest sounding thing.
I can still remember the dude in the shop looking at me in despair as I traded it in on a Charvel.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

calling card wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:19 pm I once had a US 74 strat, light ash, maple neck and hardtail. Rose tinted glasses & all and a long time ago but that thing was the stratiest quackiest sounding thing.
I can still remember the dude in the shop looking at me in despair as I traded it in on a Charvel.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, eh :-)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

calling card wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:19 pm I once had a US 74 strat, light ash, maple neck and hardtail. Rose tinted glasses & all and a long time ago but that thing was the stratiest quackiest sounding thing.
I did a similar thing, though for an Ibanez Destroyer... :-(

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Yeah, I did too. I got a Godin Artisan Tele. It was a lovely guitar, with the added bonus of not being pointy. But worth about 1/4 of the price of that Strat now.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:56 pm Yeah, I did too. I got a Godin Artisan Tele. It was a lovely guitar, with the added bonus of not being pointy. But worth about 1/4 of the price of that Strat now.
I bet we could all have pretty enviable collections now if we'd just appreciated those gems that came along. Suspect mine were traded for 'latest and greatest' fashion statements.

Could say the same about amps. But not women, funnily enough (which is as it should be). The one time I started a collection didn't end well.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:15 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:56 pm Yeah, I did too. I got a Godin Artisan Tele. It was a lovely guitar, with the added bonus of not being pointy. But worth about 1/4 of the price of that Strat now.
I bet we could all have pretty enviable collections now if we'd just appreciated those gems that came along. Suspect mine were traded for 'latest and greatest' fashion statements.

Could say the same about amps. But not women, funnily enough (which is as it should be). The one time I started a collection didn't end well.
I have a Central African friend who is culturally able to have multiple wives. He sometimes ponders wistfully on this possibility only available in his homeland. I asked him what his wife would say if he told her he was taking another wife.

"She would kill me."
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Christ, I can barely afford the one I've got, never mind adding a plus one. :crazy:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Molly wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:53 pm I did a similar thing, though for an Ibanez Destroyer... :-(
It was the Eighties, my opinion of an even older pre cbs strat was it was old and shitty, like the car I drove.

...and that car looking like about $30K now.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

calling card wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:33 am
Molly wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:53 pm I did a similar thing, though for an Ibanez Destroyer... :-(
It was the Eighties, my opinion of an even older pre cbs strat was it was old and shitty, like the car I drove.

...and that car looking like about $30K now.
Who would've thought it? I saw Strats as guitars for old men; dumpy and uncool, and thin-sounding.

And the TR7 I had back then (two actually)... Well, I suspect they're just as shite today as they ever were.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gitar »

Just my 2c. I personally think Ash is the best all purpose wood. You still get the frequency of Alder, or note definition, but you get the resonance close to mahogany. Add to that it is also one of the prettiest grains (sort of like oak), it makes a gorgeous satin or lacquer finish. And generally speaking, the wood is light weight. Im not sure how much better it can get, which is what I meant by the best all purpose.

The problem you have is "Ash" is not specific (although nor is mahogany, that is a species). I would look for swamp ash if it were me.

In saying all that, G&L make some of the best classic sounding strats around (as well as the s500 mfd pup version) with Ash. Glassy as glassy a tone you can get in the neck and quacks like a duck when you use your tone.

But, I love Alder too. I think the differences are there but not enough to discard one or the other, I would choose Ash for aesthetics and weight. Pickups can change any tonality differences, as can the tone knob........

What I would love is a satin finished Ash body with a baked maple neck, white pup covers with an aqua blue pickguard. Im not the conventional sort mind.