Thoughts on ASH + ROSEWOOD strat??

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 14 times

Thoughts on ASH + ROSEWOOD strat??

Post by johnstratiwant »

Hi everyone,

I have used plenty of Alder + Rosewood strats, was wondering what your opinion/experience were for Ash + rosewood?

I don't see this combo often, I have seen some Youtube videos and I feel like I can hear a difference when compared to Alder + Rosewood

I'm a believer of tone wood :D

Thanks!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1421 times

Re: Thoughts on ASH + ROSEWOOD strat??

Post by robthemac »

If you're worried about it sounding a bit warm and polite, it's nothing that pickup selection/set-up or a little amp EQ won't fix.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2480 times

Post by Slowy »

johnstratiwant wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:56 pm Hi everyone,

I have used plenty of Alder + Rosewood strats, was wondering what your opinion/experience were for Ash + rosewood?

I don't see this combo often, I have seen some Youtube videos and I feel like I can hear a difference when compared to Alder + Rosewood

Thanks!
Always thought I wanted a Rosewood/Alder Strat. What I got was Ash/Maple. It turned out to be nothing like most reviews and everything I wanted. Warm, rich Strat sounds, nothing harsh or toppy. A really sweet sounding instrument. I put this down to the Ash which along with Korina, just has a sound my ears like.

I have a mixture of Rosewood and Maple fretboards. I naturally lean towards Rosewood but my fingers really don't care if I'm honest. Then again, I don't notice scale length as such either.

Rosewood/Ash is a rare combination and now I'm curious as to why. I certainly wouldn't say no but we all find slightly different things in a guitar. Would be cool to find out!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

robthemac wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:02 pm If you're worried about it sounding a bit warm and polite, it's nothing that pickup selection/set-up or a little amp EQ won't fix.
Sounded like Ash body were "more aggressive" or "more hollow/natural" compared to alder body. Never tried Ash body, so purely based on Youtube vids :D

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

Slowy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:14 pm
johnstratiwant wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:56 pm Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Always thought I wanted a Rosewood/Alder Strat. What I got was Ash/Maple. It turned out to be nothing like most reviews and everything I wanted. Warm, rich Strat sounds, nothing harsh or toppy. A really sweet sounding instrument. I put this down to the Ash which along with Korina, just has a sound my ears like.

I have a mixture of Rosewood and Maple fretboards. I naturally lean towards Rosewood but my fingers really don't care if I'm honest. Then again, I don't notice scale length as such either.

Rosewood/Ash is a rare combination and now I'm curious as to why. I certainly wouldn't say no but we all find slightly different things in a guitar. Would be cool to find out!

I used Alder body for all my strats and feel like a change. Never tried an Ash body but seem to work well with maple boards.

Yeah, I'm thinking if Ash + rosewood are less common because maybe they are less desirable?? Or maybe its cheaper to use Alder, so more $$ for the company

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

Maybe I should get an Ash + maple and buy a replacement rosewood neck. I think that's easier to get than finding ash + rosewood

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

johnstratiwant wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:41 pm
robthemac wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:02 pm If you're worried about it sounding a bit warm and polite, it's nothing that pickup selection/set-up or a little amp EQ won't fix.
Sounded like Ash body were "more aggressive" or "more hollow/natural" compared to alder body. Never tried Ash body, so purely based on Youtube vids :D
There's such a variance of opinion that some would even suggest it makes little-to-no difference in comparison to the electronics, or that there's more variability between different pieces of ash than between ash and alder. :D
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

robthemac wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:54 pm
There's such a variance of opinion that some would even suggest it makes little-to-no difference in comparison to the electronics, or that there's more variability between different pieces of ash than between ash and alder. :D
Yeah, i prob wont be able to tell if blind tested, grain pattern on ash does look pleasing to look when compared to ash :)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

johnstratiwant wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:08 am
robthemac wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:54 pm

Yeah, i prob wont be able to tell if blind tested, grain pattern on ash does look pleasing to look when compared to ash :)
Are you going to do a transparent finish? There are some really striking alternatives if you're wanting non-traditional woods

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

The thing with 'ash' is it can mean a variety of wood. The 70s Fenders used a hard and very heavy ash which looks ok with transparent finishes, but does not sound great. Southern swamp ash is what I would look out for. It is often nicely figured and it is light, lighter than alder. To my ears it gives a lighter, more jangly tone, but you lose some warmth.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Have you thought about getting something made locally? Stratosphere isn't cheap...

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by wavesofffear »

The reason you don't see ash/rosewood very often is historical. Fender had largely switched from ash to alder by the time they introduced rosewood necks (exception was blonde-finished guitars, for a while).

These specs have typically been retained on the various reissues over the years, and by Fender's various imitators. Guitarists tend to be ardent traditionalists when it comes down to it.

In terms of sound, there might be some overall EQ difference between ash and alder (most convincing description I've heard is ash=mid-scooped/alder=mid-heavy), but how many of each guitar do you have to sample to observe that reliably? In other words, if you're choosing between two guitars, one alder and one ash (but identical in all other respects), there's probably something like a 53% chance that the alder body has more mids.

The difference between rosewood and maple is even more slight (people that have handled a lot of rosewood sometimes describe it has having some extra "high end sizzle"). I wouldn't even worry about it.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

wavesofffear wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:53 am The reason you don't see ash/rosewood very often is historical. Fender had largely switched from ash to alder by the time they introduced rosewood necks (exception was blonde-finished guitars, for a while).

These specs have typically been retained on the various reissues over the years, and by Fender's various imitators. Guitarists tend to be ardent traditionalists when it comes down to it.

In terms of sound, there might be some overall EQ difference between ash and alder (most convincing description I've heard is ash=mid-scooped/alder=mid-heavy), but how many of each guitar do you have to sample to observe that reliably? In other words, if you're choosing between two guitars, one alder and one ash (but identical in all other respects), there's probably something like a 53% chance that the alder body has more mids.

The difference between rosewood and maple is even more slight (people that have handled a lot of rosewood sometimes describe it has having some extra "high end sizzle"). I wouldn't even worry about it.
Yep, I think this is bang on in terms of perceptible differences for the body wood.

In my experience, the biggest difference with the neck between rosewood & maple is how it feels, not how it sounds. Personally, I find maple to be harder work. Maple has a brighter tone than rosewood--which has warmer characteristics, so this could also affect the overall tone. Not by much though--most of the tone for an electric guitar is determined by the pickups, electronics & amp.

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

You might find it more difficult to source an Ash body as well. The Swamp Ash mostly used for strat bodies has been over-harvested over the years. Mature trees are hard to come by in the US. That's one of the major reasons that Fender don't use them much now.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Wairarapajack wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:04 pm You might find it more difficult to source an Ash body as well. The Swamp Ash mostly used for strat bodies has been over-harvested over the years. Mature trees are hard to come by in the US. That's one of the major reasons that Fender don't use them much now.
Also, don't overlook pine as an option! Some of it is an excellent option for electric guitar bodies, and has an aesthetic that you might like if you're a fan of ash.