Jackson JS32 and Kelly the best value guitars in NZ retail?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Jackson JS32 and Kelly the best value guitars in NZ retail?

Post by Gitar »

They are $100 more than what they cost and Thomann etc, so seems like the best value.

I think the JS32 Kelly Snow white with the LTD Floyd Rose is the best value, looks pretty sick I reckon. And that scarf joint must be one of the best bolt on joins in the business, helping upper fret access.

Needs a pair of brand pickups though and Id prob want to put stainless stell fine tuner bolts in and new saddles (possible graphtechs).

Any thoughts on that budget option?

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Re: Jackson JS32 and Kelly the best value guitars in NZ retail?

Post by Gitar »

This Kramer looks the goods though for just $1200, genuine floyd rose 1000 (Korean OG spec) and Seymour Duncan JB and JN.

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/kramer-pacer ... ric-guitar

Been looking for a used shredder, is hard, things go so quick as guitars are dirt cheap at the mo due to the economy etc

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

What you really need to do is try out the ones on your shortlist and then choose, the rockshop will get guitars in for you from other branches to try out :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:14 am What you really need to do is try out the ones on your shortlist and then choose, the rockshop will get guitars in for you from other branches to try out :-)
Yep good point. Im just a bit lamed at the moment after an accident. But it is nice to try the neck before buying, thats always my priority, playability, in saying that, I get along with almost all necks. There are some Gibsons I own that I would never play due to the neck profile. But even the PRS Fat Wide I find ok. If anything its radius that annoys me if its too much or rather, too flat. Like the Ibanez Wizard. Its great for scale practise, but there are some things I much prefer a 12" radius and 20-22mm depth (1st to 12th), where the Ibanez is more like 19 to 21mm, it is just thin, flat and wide, which is fantastic for some peoples groove. Jackson does a nice contour of 12-16", as does the Charvels made in the Fender Player Series factory. Those Charvels are awesome necks, rounded FB edges, maple, contour and Stainless plek frets I believe. (talking myself into a Charvel haha). If a Charvel popped up in todays market I would jump on it. Things ar selling for 60% of new due to the economy. Of course if they are well used they should be 60% but some good deals are popping up.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

If it's upper fret access you're looking for then why get a bolt on at all?

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/jackson-slx- ... ric-guitar

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

JHorner wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:48 pm If it's upper fret access you're looking for then why get a bolt on at all?

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/jackson-slx- ... ric-guitar
Was talking about budget guitars, generally speaking thats bolt on.

But yes, have owned a soloist before. Just keep in mind the pickups and some parts of the FR special need upgrades. But great guitars too :clap:

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

Gitar wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:59 am some parts of the FR special need upgrades.
Can you elaborate on this? Heard comments about this, but havent found anything definite.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Candeevr4 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:13 am Can you elaborate on this? Heard comments about this, but havent found anything definite.
I should say its personal preference, but if Im paying close to some very good guitars with FR1000 trems and Seymour Duncan pickups, I would want it to sound as good and be as reliable etc.

The FR Special really isnt as bad as people think anymore imo, they still made under FR. They lack some hardened metail parts is all. Namely the tuner bolts and the saddles, alhough with saddles I would go with graphtech to really keep that area smooth. But all the parts are available.

As for the pickups, that solo uses $30 pickups, it could do with a matched set of real Duncans to the players taste. Plenty of XYZ vs XYZ pickup demos available now on youtube etc.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Candeevr4 »

Gitar wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:45 pm
Candeevr4 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:13 am Can you elaborate on this? Heard comments about this, but havent found anything definite.
I should say its personal preference, but if Im paying close to some very good guitars with FR1000 trems and Seymour Duncan pickups, I would want it to sound as good and be as reliable etc.

The FR Special really isnt as bad as people think anymore imo, they still made under FR. They lack some hardened metail parts is all. Namely the tuner bolts and the saddles, alhough with saddles I would go with graphtech to really keep that area smooth. But all the parts are available.

As for the pickups, that solo uses $30 pickups, it could do with a matched set of real Duncans to the players taste. Plenty of XYZ vs XYZ pickup demos available now on youtube etc.
Thanks re the tuners & saddles, guessing that includes the jackson licenced ones like on this:
https://www.rockshop.co.nz/jackson-dk3x ... floyd-rose

If i got one it wouldnt be with duncan's though... Mr Glyn's all the way... ;)

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Candeevr4 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:02 pm
Thanks re the tuners & saddles, guessing that includes the jackson licenced ones like on this:
https://www.rockshop.co.nz/jackson-dk3x ... floyd-rose

If i got one it wouldnt be with duncan's though... Mr Glyn's all the way... ;)
Yeah, jackson I do not know why, do not use the FR1000 or the OG. I think a Gotoh would be a straight drop in and out and Ive seen brand new Jackson trems sell.

But you do get one hell of a good body imo and that neon green is one of my favs, although the crackle jobs are hard to beat.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/intl/jacks ... e_crkl.htm

But a soloist for $1100 with $400 of upgrades is not bad value, just my opinion of course. The other way to go is just play the FR as is, it may never have an issue. And of course tonally outside cleaner tones once you start adding gain, tone is largely influenced by the pickups and the chain they are playing through so I doubt the metals will have a huge impact, I cant see too many people buying a shred guitar to play mostly clean tones, hey, Im sure it happens :-)

Ha, anything will beat the Dunc Designed, especially that model as its not based off a good duncan pickup to begin with.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Candeevr4 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:02 pm Mr Glyn's all the way... ;)
Actually this one looks HOT off the bat.

Im immediately thinking about how hard it would be to swap pickup covers. Black Winter in the Bridge and some SSL-1s in the mid/neck.

In saying all that, imo the Jackson branded pickups are always better than the "Duncan Designed" ones.

The point being they got the aesthtics just right with this.

What I do not understand is the above Green and Pink bolt on neck Soloist is more expensive than this pretty good value neck through body soloist............

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

But if going to all the effort, this is the model that stands out, in its various shades and forms the SL2PRO

Maple Neck through Mahogany Body, including the speedy 12-16" contour
Seymour Duncan TB-6 and SHN-6, lovely
The trust FR1000, the Korean copy of the OG with the same metals used
$2199

Its simply gorgeous with its binding etc. It is clearly not your average Jackson.

But I go back to that graphite reinforced scarf joint set neck Soloist for $1100, you can spend $100 on parts to the bridge I personally would replace, or just buy a gotoh for $250 and be done with it and then selling the Special for $200. Then put a Winter in the Bridge and maybe an SH6n in the neck for $300. You end up with a very competent neck through shredder with high quality pups for $1450................

I would probably keep the original parts and reassemble with them when I sell the guitar and keep the Gotoh OG copy and what ever luxury pickups one chooses, easy sells or usable in the other projects.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2262 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Gitar wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:35 pm
Candeevr4 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:02 pm Mr Glyn's all the way... ;)
Actually this one looks HOT off the bat.

Im immediately thinking about how hard it would be to swap pickup covers. Black Winter in the Bridge and some SSL-1s in the mid/neck.

In saying all that, imo the Jackson branded pickups are always better than the "Duncan Designed" ones.

The point being they got the aesthtics just right with this.

What I do not understand is the above Green and Pink bolt on neck Soloist is more expensive than this pretty good value neck through body soloist............

Loving the green, the pink not so much....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Gitar wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:05 pm But if going to all the effort, this is the model that stands out, in its various shades and forms the SL2PRO

Maple Neck through Mahogany Body, including the speedy 12-16" contour
Seymour Duncan TB-6 and SHN-6, lovely
The trust FR1000, the Korean copy of the OG with the same metals used
$2199

Its simply gorgeous with its binding etc. It is clearly not your average Jackson.

But I go back to that graphite reinforced scarf joint set neck Soloist for $1100, you can spend $100 on parts to the bridge I personally would replace, or just buy a gotoh for $250 and be done with it and then selling the Special for $200. Then put a Winter in the Bridge and maybe an SH6n in the neck for $300. You end up with a very competent neck through shredder with high quality pups for $1450................

I would probably keep the original parts and reassemble with them when I sell the guitar and keep the Gotoh OG copy and what ever luxury pickups one chooses, easy sells or usable in the other projects.
That looks fricken awesome. Got my Jackson GAS going now. My only experience was with a Soloist and I remember the neck feeling a bit too flat and wide for my preference.
Loving it so far

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Candeevr4 »

Bg wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:21 pm
Loving the green, the pink not so much....
There is a black version with white pickups, which I actually prefer, but if I got the greenie, white pickups might be the go...