NGD: Schecter Nick Johnston SSS

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Re: NGD: Schecter Nick Johnston SSS

Post by jeremyb »

Given you have the original I'd suggest you tape it to some MDF to make a template and then add a humbucker route and get a piece of pickguard material and make your own, looks like the HSS ones aren't available...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

robthemac wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:11 pm
StratMatt wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:34 pm I actually just picked up one of these in Atomic Coral (pink). Totally agree with everything you've stated above, it's a banger of a guitar. I'm a total Schecter convert.

Mine is an HSS which has been converted from an SSS. Didn't realise this til I got it home, but it's no bother. The wiring is a bit up to shit, but that's an easy enough fix. I'm going to put a JB in the bridge and leave the single coils stock; they're great as-is. Winning!
Thoughts on the neck profile? Every Schecter I've played has been shreddy thin.
Yeah definitely not shreddy thin like say, an RG. It's nice and chunky at the headstock end and seems to be slimmer towards the dusty end of the fretboard. Like a 60s Les Paul neck but not as wide.
Loving it so far

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:06 pm
StratMatt wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:06 pm
NippleWrestler wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 pm

Did they cut the pickguard to accommodate the HB? I was thinking of doing the same thing to this one.

Interestingly there's a swimming pool route under the pickguard and the pickups are made by g&b from Korea who make pickups for just about everyone who builds guitars there.

Agreed on the wiring. On mine nothing was trimmed so they just bundled up all the loose wire into a cable tie. Admittedly that could be worse but it's a bit of a chore to get around when I was adding a treble bleed yesterday (a good move btw).
Affirmative on the pickguard cut. Could have been a tidier job in that regard, but I can live with it.

Someone has also replaced the vol with a push/push pot which I suspect is linear taper as it darkens up the tone real fast. I'll look at doing a treble bleed when I sort that out.
Is it an angled humbucker then? I couldn't find a straight orientation of humbucker which would hide the original screw holes. I think this guitar would really benefit from a bridge HB.
Straight humbucker, but yeah it doesn't hide the original holes. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Good idea from JB, I will probably end up making a new one to tidy it up.
Loving it so far

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

I don't want to take over your NGD thread, but as we're discussing the HSS version as well I just wanted to drop this in here to show you.

As I said, up close the HB mod looks a bit rough, but it doesn't stand out too much tbh. Shit phone photos ahead...
Attachments
IMG_20220711_191835.jpg
IMG_20220711_191835.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 1108 times
IMG_20220711_191813.jpg
IMG_20220711_191813.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 1108 times
Loving it so far

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

That doesn't look that bad at all tbh. You could probably fill it with something the same colour and call it done. Tinted wood filler perhaps? I had a look into pickguard material and it ain't cheap so am now trying to think of an alternative/cheaper solution.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

StratMatt wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:24 pm I don't want to take over your NGD thread, but as we're discussing the HSS version as well I just wanted to drop this in here to show you.

As I said, up close the HB mod looks a bit rough, but it doesn't stand out too much tbh. Shit phone photos ahead...
https://www.gordonharris.co.nz/product/ ... x300x400mm

For pickguard material?

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:35 am
StratMatt wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:24 pm I don't want to take over your NGD thread, but as we're discussing the HSS version as well I just wanted to drop this in here to show you.

https://www.gordonharris.co.nz/product/ ... x300x400mm

For pickguard material?
Looks like a cheap enough option that you could buy a couple and have a good go at it. What's the best way to accurately cut acrylic?
Loving it so far

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

A jigsaw with a metal blade will do it, but still the holes etc beforehand. They're so close to the edge they might cause cracks.

I'm also looking at pickguard blanks on AliExpress. More options but the price is a little higher and it'll take 6 weeks to arrive. Search for bass pickguard blanks and they're cheaper for some reason.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

I got a single ply black sheet that I got from GFS years ago: https://www.guitarfetish.com/Uncut-Pick ... c_224.html

You're welcome to have it to practice on, I'm never gonna use it :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.