Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

Post by Gitar »

Candeevr4 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:08 am
Gitar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:43 pm OH crap this is going to come in close to $1k but is also very close o what I said I was considering doing with the Artist tele.

https://images.musicstore.de/images/160 ... 56-000.jpg
If you want to do something with something similar, I have this tele I can part with:

Its a chinese copy of a Jim Root Tele, has Mr Glyn's Attitudes in it but can be changed..
Cheers, I shall keep that offer in mind. Im a little scatter brand now, so many options, budget thrown all over the place. :-). That Tele looks nice though in Roots black n white.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Jay wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:55 pm
jeremyb wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:10 pm
Jay wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:06 pm

Correct. I tried ordering it twice but every time I get: "your session timed out". :o I hope it is not a scam
I’ve bought from Andertons multiple times with no issue so perhaps it’s just a glitch?
Looks like it. Nothing suspicious on my CC, so tried again today and went through smoothly. Counting the days now :D
I am totally and utterly flabbergasted.... Ordered on the 9th... delivered to my door 10 minutes ago :crazy:

SIX DAYS ONLY! GO ANDERTONS!
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Next day delivery in the UK and they give you a time slot too :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Jay wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:34 pm SIX DAYS ONLY! GO ANDERTONS!
You paid expediated right? ie $180-250?

You paid, you got expediated. Go USPS ! haha

What did you get in the end?

Im considering a low budget strat, mostly because I like the bodies natural finish and awesome wood grain, and using the $60 8-15 day shipping still optional with some retailers and seeing how much longer it takes. But then I think, that leaves $800 of stuff I could put in there, what a waste.

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by wavesofffear »

Jay wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:34 pm
Jay wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:55 pm
jeremyb wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:10 pm

I’ve bought from Andertons multiple times with no issue so perhaps it’s just a glitch?
Looks like it. Nothing suspicious on my CC, so tried again today and went through smoothly. Counting the days now :D
I am totally and utterly flabbergasted.... Ordered on the 9th... delivered to my door 10 minutes ago :crazy:

SIX DAYS ONLY! GO ANDERTONS!
Congrats!

I had a "race" a few months ago where I ordered some headphones from Tauranga (via NZ Post) and a speaker from Rock Island, IL (via UPS). Guess what arrived first?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Gitar wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:50 pm

Im considering a low budget strat, mostly because I like the bodies natural finish and awesome wood grain, and using the $60 8-15 day shipping still optional with some retailers and seeing how much longer it takes. But then I think, that leaves $800 of stuff I could put in there, what a waste.

Yip, NZD192. I didn't know you had a shipping choice? Still saved ~$300 though, unless they go kaput...

Yamaha HS5 monitors.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Gitar wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:50 pm

Andertons only have one shipping option for international :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Its not just the music industry either, I was looking for a replacement part for my downhill MTB back in the early 2000s and the local importer said it would be 3-6 months and horrendous $$$, ordered one from the UK and it was under half the price delivered and I had it in 5 days....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Sadly (for the local retailers) the reason most of my stuff comes from Andertons is not price, though it helps. It's the customer service, and the shipping times, which are way better than the local stores.

I exclude the likes of our Conway at Tonelounge, Guitars Rock, and the toneology store. They are brilliant.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

to be fair, this time last year - shipping times were shit from overseas.

I should also say that due to andertons etc, you can't buy a set of guitar strings in your home town in the uk any more, or try any guitars/amps or anything out without driving 30 miles or so.

So yeah, great service, yeah killing real stores. But thats across the board - not just musical instruments. This is why town shopping centres and malls are predominantly dollar shops or charity shops.

Hope that doesn't happen here in my lifetime :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Interestingly enough I was listening to the latest podcast that Brian Wampler does and one of the guys was talking about how the majority of the musical instrument buying public still go into a store and buy their gear there, based on the advice of the sales droids, sounds horrendous to me but OK BOOMER!!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:48 pm Interestingly enough I was listening to the latest podcast that Brian Wampler does and one of the guys was talking about how the majority of the musical instrument buying public still go into a store and buy their gear there, based on the advice of the sales droids, sounds horrendous to me but OK BOOMER!!
maybe in the states, where they have a guitar store on every corner :P

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Jay wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:00 pm
Yip, NZD192. I didn't know you had a shipping choice? Still saved ~$300 though, unless they go kaput...

Yamaha HS5 monitors.
You dont with many shops, Im not sure why but I get the feeling its to do with the state of economies in the world?

Oh nice, Ive owned the HS5s before, actually considering another set, tossing up between giving Rokkits a go. Did you get the limited edition Grey model? Not sure if that has sold out by now, but dang it looks classy.

I was thinking the price for a whole guitar $200 expediated is about right or $60EU for the 8-15 day option if they offer it. Speakers clearly a lot different in size and hassle haha.

$300, shite thats more than I had figured. Things are also a huge variable depending on who you buy from.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Just on buying guitars new from a local music retailer vs. online:

I think online retailers regarding guitars would fail if there wasn't widespread practice of CNC machines in guitar factories.

15-20 years ago, cheap guitars were shit. The QC would be all over the place from guitar to guitar (even from the same brand and model!). You either spend over $1k new on an adequate guitar or you buy used for sub $1k.

Now, we have sub-USD $400 guitars sold in Amazon equipped with Stainless Steel frets and a compound neck radius with good QC.

Getting consistently good (not great, not amazing, not flawless but good) QC made buying guitars online less of a crapshoot now.
Last edited by jhyang549 on Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

The Grey and White are priced higher, so black it was. Can't hear the colour difference