Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

Post by Gitar »

jhyang549 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:19 pm would fail if there wasn't widespread practice of CNC machines in guitar factories.
Yep no doubt, Id say thats the same for mass production mainstream brands and even some of their high end "US" type models. Heck its even part of custom made guitars, take a tour through Kiesel on youtube, they got some awesome gear.

It is such a massive part of why we can get semi decent $300 guitars, but its also part of $6k guitars.

Its the evolution beyond stenciling.

What is next is 3 day work weeks.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Jay wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:21 pm The Grey and White are priced higher, so black it was. Can't hear the colour difference
The shop Im looking at doesnt have the Grey and Black are out of stock. What was your cost all up, ie how much were the speakers and how much was your shipping?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Gitar wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:17 pm
Jay wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:21 pm The Grey and White are priced higher, so black it was. Can't hear the colour difference
The shop Im looking at doesnt have the Grey and Black are out of stock. What was your cost all up, ie how much were the speakers and how much was your shipping?
See page 3 as per JB's post
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Jay wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm See page 3 as per JB's post
Will do. I was wrong, they have Black and White just the grey.
Jay wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:00 pm Yip, NZD192. I didn't know you had a shipping choice? Still saved ~$300 though, unless they go kaput...

Yamaha HS5 monitors.
What did you end up paying in the end? Im looking at ~$525 for a pair landed, but that is the in between speed delivery, they say 8-15 days but wouldnt be surprised for longer.

Edit: Going by Andertons online pricing, a pair of HS5's landed is ~$800nzd ! :-(

I need to do some research for the main 5" brands, I was interested in trying Rokkits, I heard of one person sending 3 back, but you get that with all brands. I guess I want to know outside having to EQ, what the difference is in what you get bang for buck and technologically.

I also need a smallish Bluetooth speaker for the dining and kitchen room (Jazz guitar only if I have my way). I really like the Bose SoundLink Revolve II but was hoping that would be BT5.2, 5.0 minimum, but ended up 4.1. It still sounds awesome for its size, but if you were to use it as a supplemntary speaker for watching a movie on your Tablet or such, it would not work due to latency. So now Im no sure what to buy.

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Mr Bungle »

I have bought a Gibson acoustic and 2 x Fender vintage amps off ebay with no issues over the years. Plus numerous pedals.

Shipping has gone crazy, even before Covid.

I have a guitar currently on the way from the Netherlands. Small, boutique, well rated shop but they quoted Euro$300 which equates to a smidge under NZ$500 for shipping. My brother happens to be in the Netherlands now visiting his in-laws and he shipped to me for NZ$130.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Gitar wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:11 am
Jay wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm See page 3 as per JB's post
Will do. I was wrong, they have Black and White just the grey.
Jay wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:00 pm Yip, NZD192. I didn't know you had a shipping choice? Still saved ~$300 though, unless they go kaput...

Yamaha HS5 monitors.
What did you end up paying in the end? Im looking at ~$525 for a pair landed, but that is the in between speed delivery, they say 8-15 days but wouldnt be surprised for longer.

Edit: Going by Andertons online pricing, a pair of HS5's landed is ~$800nzd ! :-(

I need to do some research for the main 5" brands, I was interested in trying Rokkits, I heard of one person sending 3 back, but you get that with all brands. I guess I want to know outside having to EQ, what the difference is in what you get bang for buck and technologically.

I also need a smallish Bluetooth speaker for the dining and kitchen room (Jazz guitar only if I have my way). I really like the Bose SoundLink Revolve II but was hoping that would be BT5.2, 5.0 minimum, but ended up 4.1. It still sounds awesome for its size, but if you were to use it as a supplemntary speaker for watching a movie on your Tablet or such, it would not work due to latency. So now Im no sure what to buy.
Don't know where you got the NZD800 from. Checked my CC and they cost me $662 delivered to frontdoor which includes a $12 for their international transaction fee. Compare that to Music works' price....

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Jay wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:33 pm Don't know where you got the NZD800 from. Checked my CC and they cost me $662 delivered to frontdoor which includes a $12 for their international transaction fee.
My apologies mate, I thought you said $192 shipping, I was just using that with their online price converted, I probably miscalulated something. Going back you paid around $232GBP, much cheaper than I can find on the Anderton website. Very odd.

Did you go Black? White would actually look good in this house, but black might be easier to sell in the future.

Im still considering a couple of others, but have owned the HS5 before so I know what Im getting.

I will let you know, Im trying to fit a few things in but looks like I might have to do 2 separate orders. Cant help myself when things are substantially cheaper than retail. There is 3 guitars Im debating constantly in my head over but I best be quick as one of them keeps selling out quick :-)

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Yes $192 for shipping, yes black

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Jay wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:23 pm Yes $192 for shipping, yes black
I just cant find your pricing on their site, not sure what Im doing wrong haha. But I seen your price in the screen shot so I know it must be there somewhere.

So far from what Ive read its pushing me back for another pair of yamaha 5s over the KRK, not a lot out there putting the tannoy head to head. I dont think I can lose either which way I go.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Gitar wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:22 pm
Jay wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:23 pm Yes $192 for shipping, yes black
I just cant find your pricing on their site, not sure what Im doing wrong haha. But I seen your price in the screen shot so I know it must be there somewhere.

So far from what Ive read its pushing me back for another pair of yamaha 5s over the KRK, not a lot out there putting the tannoy head to head. I dont think I can lose either which way I go.
JB explained to me that you need to select your destination and then VAT gets removed and the correct shipping shows

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Jay wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:39 pm JB explained to me that you need to select your destination and then VAT gets removed and the correct shipping shows
Yeah just had that explained to me as well. So, that makes things different all over again. I will try comparing the Ibanez for price.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

I just cant quite find a site that has the gats at prices fitting under $1k that do not apply the 15% like Thomann does, Music Store is close on a couple of fringe items. Which is a shame, paying GST on items under $1k as they have some really sharp prices.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Im still chasing why we pay GST on items under $1k imported, when the law clearly states we don't.

Customs have informed me it is not a decision they make and I need to speak to the IRD.

See, to me if you say you can import items up to $1k with no GST applied, yet you then go around advising import companies earning over XYZ that they SHOULD apply GST to items under $1k and not on items over $1k, you are deliberately contradicting yourself.

I just think it stinks I have to pay 15% extra for Harley Bentons for example, when it clearly states you do not have to pay GST up to $1k, except you do as we have made a system where GST has to be applied by most big gat shops, in contradiction to the sub $1k custom law, and all that sub $1k GST goes back to the IRD. Something is wrong about this, say one thing, make sure something opposite occurs....

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Gitar wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:55 pm Im still chasing why we pay GST on items under $1k imported, when the law clearly states we don't.

Customs have informed me it is not a decision they make and I need to speak to the IRD.

See, to me if you say you can import items up to $1k with no GST applied, yet you then go around advising import companies earning over XYZ that they SHOULD apply GST to items under $1k and not on items over $1k, you are deliberately contradicting yourself.

I just think it stinks I have to pay 15% extra for Harley Bentons for example, when it clearly states you do not have to pay GST up to $1k, except you do as we have made a system where GST has to be applied by most big gat shops, in contradiction to the sub $1k custom law, and all that sub $1k GST goes back to the IRD. Something is wrong about this, say one thing, make sure something opposite occurs....
The law clearly states the retailer should charge gst on items under $1k NZD if they sell more than $60k of stuff to NZ a year, this has been repeated over and over again, I have no idea where you get your information from but perhaps read the following?

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/du ... 0or%20less.

https://www.ird.govt.nz/gst/gst-for-ove ... rted-goods

Heres a nice PDF that contains everything you need to know: https://www.ird.govt.nz/-/media/project ... ersion.pdf
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:09 pm I have no idea where you get your information from but perhaps read the following?
Honestly. I get it, I know the laws. I got it the first time.

Where do I get my info? directly from Thomann and NZ Customs. I have been referred to IRD as Customs were unable to explain why (and they really dont care as its not their job to make laws, just enforce them)

You are missing the point I am trying to make.

If IRD make a law that allows you to import up to $1k with no GST, and they then create another law that all retailers registered (post $60k) have to collect GST, this is completely contradictory to the first law.

What is the point of having the under $1k law in the fist place if they are just going to have sub $1k products charged GST, in which case they are collecting GST on both sub $1k and above $1k.

It is nonsensical.