NGD: '84 Tokai Goldstar Sound

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

NGD: '84 Tokai Goldstar Sound

Post by NippleWrestler »

Obligatory: Yes I play that way. Anika Moa, Dick Dale, Eric Gales, the Kyuss bassist, we all do this.

After a long and pointless ordeal with the seller and TradeMe, the Tokai is resurrected and alive.

To cut a long story short the seller sold me this for $900, shipped it in a folded cardboard sheet, didn't explain any of the issues (including how it was reradiused and refretted on a kitchen table and the worst job imaginable), ghosted me, and then left me bad feedback.

My mate called it a "pump and dump screw job" which is about right.

Anyway. After a refret, cleaned up radius, new nut, and setup by Ramsay, and a rewiring by me it's almost back to it's former glory albeit with a 20" radius.

I always wanted a white/rosewood strat, but in lefty they're hard to find as Fender only made them for very limited years and the MIJ ones aren't really to my liking so when this came along I was pretty smitten.

The Goldstar sound was what used to be the Springy Sound, which is what SRV is holding on the cover of Texas Flood. In later years they photoshopped the logo off of the headstock but you can see it here on a poster from the original run:

But now?

That's by the by I guess.

These are made in Japan and allegedly a replica of 1962 strats, which Tokai allegedly deconstructed, analysed, measured, then cloned. They must have been doing something right as Tokai was then awarded the contract by Fender to make their Japanese line so if you've got a MIJ Fender strat from the 80s and into the 90s, it's the same guitar as this but with different hardware.

I'm all over the place. Sorry.

Check these tanlines:

You can see the little codes they used in the cavity too, which further points to the early-mid 80s era and lists the CNC profile, the CNC machine, and the finish used. In this case OW means Off White. The Y after that is the source of much debate, allegedly it denotes JDM market and not export, but Tokai have never said.

The neck was badly reradiused and fretted as a 20" neck (Ibanez RG use 17"). Since these copied the 62 Fenders they had the same 'veneer' rosewood board which is just a thin strip glued to the maple. You can see here how they very nearly went through the rosewood and how it compares to the original radius:

It plays great now though, and as a hater of vintage radius and vintage frets this is so far hitting that sweet spot of vintage looks but a bit more modern playability.

Nut width is 42mm and the back contour is a thin C. It's slightly skinny, but not too bad at all.

Obligatory floor and sock shot:

More:

Nice thing. Plays nicely, sounds exactly like you'd think a strat should with the VII pickups (A5 and 5.7k each) and it's an incredibly resonant guitar, there's a definite 'something' going on with it where it feels slightly more alive than my other guitars.

Overall, a shit beginning with a happy ending that resulted in a fantastic guitar.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Re: NGD: '84 Tokai Goldstar Sound

Post by Molly »

Good post. Learned something there. Nicely photographed too.

Glad it came right in the end. Karma will see to that other guy.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

PHWOOOARRRRRR!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

I also like how it says "oldies but goldies" at the end of the headstock.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

What a lovely finish, it is great how it has yellowed/browned over time. Looks perfect.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:49 pm What a lovely finish, it is great how it has yellowed/browned over time. Looks perfect.
Custard/Mustard with some kind of burn mark:

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

Very noice. To echo Molly, nice shots too. What camera do you use? I'm getting back into photography after a 10 year break and finding that times and tech have changed!!! :crazy:

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Thanks Trade Me guy.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:42 pm Thanks Trade Me guy.
Nah, fuck that guy. He's a real Grade A twat.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

IMOCD wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:41 pm Very noice. To echo Molly, nice shots too. What camera do you use? I'm getting back into photography after a 10 year break and finding that times and tech have changed!!! :crazy:
The camera makes about 5% difference as that handles the metering and focus (unless you do it yourself in manual mode). Knowing how to compose semi-decently and see light, shape, colour, lines, angle is the entirety of the craft. The newest best camera in all of the universe won't help that.

Worry about your lens more than your body and you'll be happier, as that's the determinant in 'the look'. The sensor can only record what the lens gives it after all.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

This is why this image has socks and not bare feet....

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Oh man, gorgeous. Glad everything turned out good in the end, we all love a happy ending here
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:58 pm Nah, fuck that guy. He's a real Grade A twat.
Agreed. My sarcasm didn't translate very well.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

I had a Springy Sound for about 10 years. Gave it to a mate who played it in his covers band for more years until he got one of Kiwiaxe's Suhrs.
Excellent guitar. It's now been passed on to his son.

Happy NGD!

And I'll just add I have watched NippleWrestler play. He's spectacularly good but what you see his fingers doing bears no relation to what your ears tell you is happening. It's a disconcerting experience. :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

I’m pleased this got resolved to a level of satisfaction

Well done you and Ramsey
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish