Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 5610
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1157 times
Been liked: 995 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Jay »

MiniForklift wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:21 pm In the past I’ve placed 4 or 5 orders through AE and not one of them ever turned up. Never had any issues with eBay regardless of what country it’s being sent from
Ordered 6 items in the last 4 weeks. Four have turned up so far...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2123
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Hamilton
Has liked: 536 times
Been liked: 188 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Miza »

MiniForklift wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:21 pm In the past I’ve placed 4 or 5 orders through AE and not one of them ever turned up. Never had any issues with eBay regardless of what country it’s being sent from
My hit rate is probably better than 90%, but thats still not fabulous.
Nothing to see here.

User avatar
chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:05 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 173 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by chur »

Miza wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:53 pm
MiniForklift wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:21 pm In the past I’ve placed 4 or 5 orders through AE and not one of them ever turned up. Never had any issues with eBay regardless of what country it’s being sent from
My hit rate is probably better than 90%, but thats still not fabulous.

Mine is near on 100% success, so obviously have had a better run than some. Delivery times are all over the place so pays to be selective of their chosen shipping method.
That said, strings are one of the many things I couldn't be faffed ordering from there.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 5610
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1157 times
Been liked: 995 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Jay »

Miza wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:53 pm
MiniForklift wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:21 pm In the past I’ve placed 4 or 5 orders through AE and not one of them ever turned up. Never had any issues with eBay regardless of what country it’s being sent from
My hit rate is probably better than 90%, but thats still not fabulous.
I have three criteria:
Shop must have been on AE for at least 3 years, must have a high score (>97%) and must have a large order rate (>50).
Price of item comes secondary to the above.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 32881
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 5250 times
Been liked: 2841 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by jeremyb »

Never had a package not turn up from AliExpress and I've ordered a ton off there including guitars and bicycle wheels, I generally only use AliExpress standard shipping or on bigger items UPS / DHL though...
Polar Bear wrote: It will continue to be a mystery as to why this is such a sausage fest.

User avatar
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 10:19 pm
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath »

I bought a bunch of stuff from AE but never trusted it enough to buy strings from. Best deal I found was to sign up to StewMac StewMax and get free delivery for a year and 15% off strings. Pack of 10 D’Addario’s worked out to be about $65 landed. Plus you get free shipping on everything else for a year. Even got the '57 Mini Tweed 5W Amp Kit shipped to NZ for free :D
"You give me a fucking kazoo and I'll write you a good song." - Billy Corgan

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 5610
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1157 times
Been liked: 995 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Jay »

One of my parcels is in locked down Shanghai, won't see that one in a hurry :(
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

vinylguy
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:24 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by vinylguy »

Have never had any issues with delays buying stuff of AE, usually turns up fairly promptly.

User avatar
JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3000
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 446 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by JHorner »

Buy strings off Ali Express?

Image


When I can get legit ones for $7.60 from stringsandbeyond.com?

Image

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 5610
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1157 times
Been liked: 995 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Jay »

Miza wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:53 pm Meh, I'm still not convinced the packs I got were fake (if they are, it's exceptionally good fake packaging).

But I won't be making a habit of buying strings that way. For the few bucks you save, how long you wait and the risk they never show up (happens a lot with AE) is not worth it.
I take back what I said... I watched the video below and compared two sets, one bought in NZ and from AliExpress. The latter are absolute fakes. Very hard to tell when looking casually but there it is...

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 4461
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Has liked: 694 times
Been liked: 755 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by robthemac »

Jay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:56 pm
Miza wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:53 pm Meh, I'm still not convinced the packs I got were fake (if they are, it's exceptionally good fake packaging).

But I won't be making a habit of buying strings that way. For the few bucks you save, how long you wait and the risk they never show up (happens a lot with AE) is not worth it.
I take back what I said... I watched the video below and compared two sets, one bought in NZ and from AliExpress. The latter are absolute fakes. Very hard to tell when looking casually but there it is...

Do you think the fakes were any worse than the originals, though? Leaving aside risk, morality etc.

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 5610
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1157 times
Been liked: 995 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Jay »

robthemac wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:18 pm
Jay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:56 pm
Miza wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:53 pm Meh, I'm still not convinced the packs I got were fake (if they are, it's exceptionally good fake packaging).

But I won't be making a habit of buying strings that way. For the few bucks you save, how long you wait and the risk they never show up (happens a lot with AE) is not worth it.
I take back what I said... I watched the video below and compared two sets, one bought in NZ and from AliExpress. The latter are absolute fakes. Very hard to tell when looking casually but there it is...

Do you think the fakes were any worse than the originals, though? Leaving aside risk, morality etc.
My mate bought the fakes and did not notice. I will install a set tomorrow and let you know. They certainly aren't coated but may sound good enough for a while...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 1487
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:01 am
Location: the Tron
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by matman »

Well the results are in and all of them were as fake as a politician's smile.

The D'addarios looked fully legit until I entered the serial number on their website and they came up as counterfeit. I then went back and found 2 spelling mistakes buried in the internal packaging but they pass the eye test and I will still put them on something (even though they are 10s and I ordered 9s.

Ernie ball packaging was fully on point but string winding was different and I'm not fully confident that the high E string will stand up to tension.

Elixir packaging looked authentic as but strings (as mentioned by Jay) have no coating and a weird dent in the ball end of one of the strings.

Painless experiment though as I put a dispute through to Ali and got a full refund of purchase price and postage and I now have a good supply of strings for emergency breakages.
Last edited by matman on Tue May 17, 2022 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

User avatar
GrantB
ADMIN
Posts: 14441
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:04 am
Location: Where I need to be
Has liked: 968 times
Been liked: 1704 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by GrantB »

Yes, the string winding is awful on the fakes. I use the fakes as gig spares.

That is, if I was gigging…:(
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

User avatar
Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 18832
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:13 pm
Location: Orcland
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1825 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Slowy »

If it's branded and purchased from China, why would you expect it to be genuine? :roll:
"We were playing so loud that just one note on the guitar was sufficient".
Ritchie Blackmore.

Post Reply