Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
Litterick
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 251
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:19 pm
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Litterick »

Buying a set of strings at a guitar shore guarantees guilt-free admission to the rest of the store. You can try any guitar, because you have spent less than twenty dollars on strings — which shows you are a real customer and a real guitarist, not just some dreamer with time on his hands.

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 32881
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 5250 times
Been liked: 2841 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by jeremyb »

JoeBlow wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 pm I like the longevity of elixirs, but they feel like they have more tension under the fingers - more resistance, like they're tuned a step up.
Interesting, what gauge do you normally run? It may sound weird but I run their 10s on my Strat and on my 335 copy and the 335 has more string tension than I remember on a Gibson scale… hmmm…
Polar Bear wrote: It will continue to be a mystery as to why this is such a sausage fest.

User avatar
JoeBlow
Squier
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:20 am
Location: Warkworth
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 88 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by JoeBlow »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:52 am
JoeBlow wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 pm I like the longevity of elixirs, but they feel like they have more tension under the fingers - more resistance, like they're tuned a step up.
Interesting, what gauge do you normally run? It may sound weird but I run their 10s on my Strat and on my 335 copy and the 335 has more string tension than I remember on a Gibson scale… hmmm…
I always use 10-46.

I've never put them on myself - they've been on guitars bought new (Tom Anderson are strung with them, new), or from the previous owner.

They feel totally different. Stiffer. You get used to it, but for me, it's noticeably a very different feel, particularly when bending.

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 32881
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 5250 times
Been liked: 2841 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by jeremyb »

JoeBlow wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:11 am
jeremyb wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:52 am
JoeBlow wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 pm I like the longevity of elixirs, but they feel like they have more tension under the fingers - more resistance, like they're tuned a step up.
Interesting, what gauge do you normally run? It may sound weird but I run their 10s on my Strat and on my 335 copy and the 335 has more string tension than I remember on a Gibson scale… hmmm…
I always use 10-46.

I've never put them on myself - they've been on guitars bought new (Tom Anderson are strung with them, new), or from the previous owner.

They feel totally different. Stiffer. You get used to it, but for me, it's noticeably a very different feel, particularly when bending.
It’s not as noticeable on the Strat cause of the trem, but yeah on the 335 for sure!
Polar Bear wrote: It will continue to be a mystery as to why this is such a sausage fest.

User avatar
calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3798
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Hoodoo dump, BOP
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 231 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by calling card »

If you chicken out of AliE try Dave's guitar stuff Ziko brand, I bought a pile of them and to me they are great and cheap.

User avatar
JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3000
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 446 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by JHorner »

matman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:00 pm Yeah I get the point about buying local. The main reason for giving the cheap route a crack was that one of my boys has been getting right into playing (which is awesome) but he seems to sweat battery acid and we've been going through strings like tinfoil at a vaccine protest (which is unawesome).
For a while I was going through a set every week or two.

Even with international shipping and no coupon, I couldn't find anyone in NZ who could beat the price of buying 12 packs of Slinkys from https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/

Found some of them had rust on the strings though, so switched to similar priced but vacuum packed dunlops.

They can take a very long time to arrive.

If you like d'addario, then I think the local 10 packs are pretty hard to beat on price.

https://www.guitarstuff.co.nz/daddarioelectric1.html
https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/D-Addari ... 10-46-10pk

Also yeah, fast fret, wipe down strings and palm rest/muting location after playing.

User avatar
GrantB
ADMIN
Posts: 14441
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:04 am
Location: Where I need to be
Has liked: 968 times
Been liked: 1704 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:01 pm Its likely there will be some OEM leftovers on there so some legit ones... but apart from packaging fails how else would you tell? best to just buy local, if you don't play much its not like its an expensive thing to replace ;)
The Ernie Ball ones have markedly different packaging....ALL of the AliExpress EB strings are fake,.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

User avatar
MiniForklift
Gibson
Posts: 891
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:34 am
Been liked: 166 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by MiniForklift »

JHorner wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:23 am If you like d'addario, then I think the local 10 packs are pretty hard to beat on price.

https://www.guitarstuff.co.nz/daddarioelectric1.html
Interestingly it's cheaper to buy a couple of triple packs from The Rockshop, think I pay around $30 for a triple pack. So a couple of packs (6 sets of D'Addario's) would be pretty much the same price as 5 sets from that site. From memory the ten pack is around the same price

Aside from supporting my local music shop I enjoy having a wander round and checking out the gear, never know what might catch your eye and ignite the GAS
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

User avatar
Bg
Site Admin
Posts: 39510
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:13 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 1911 times
Been liked: 3081 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Bg »

I usually buy from Dave at Guitarstuff, hes a GC.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

User avatar
Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2986
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:57 pm
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 723 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Reg18 »

I bought some Elixirs off AliExpress once, can confirm they were definitely fake. Packaging was reasonably convincing in pics but looked off in person, and they weren’t even coated like real elixirs. That was a few years back but I always get strings locally now.

User avatar
JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3000
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 446 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by JHorner »

MiniForklift wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:32 am
JHorner wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:23 am If you like d'addario, then I think the local 10 packs are pretty hard to beat on price.

https://www.guitarstuff.co.nz/daddarioelectric1.html
Interestingly it's cheaper to buy a couple of triple packs from The Rockshop, think I pay around $30 for a triple pack. So a couple of packs (6 sets of D'Addario's) would be pretty much the same price as 5 sets from that site. From memory the ten pack is around the same price

Aside from supporting my local music shop I enjoy having a wander round and checking out the gear, never know what might catch your eye and ignite the GAS
I was referring to the 10 pack (10 sets of 6 strings) which is 86.95 and has free shipping

The 3 pack from RS is 29.90, so that is 89.70 for 9 (9 sets of 6 strings), so not cheaper.

The RS does have a cheaper price ($80) on the 10 pack though!

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/daddario-exl ... lec-010-52

User avatar
matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 1487
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:01 am
Location: the Tron
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by matman »

GrantB wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:26 am
jeremyb wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:01 pm Its likely there will be some OEM leftovers on there so some legit ones... but apart from packaging fails how else would you tell? best to just buy local, if you don't play much its not like its an expensive thing to replace ;)
The Ernie Ball ones have markedly different packaging....ALL of the AliExpress EB strings are fake,.
I guess those are going on the boy's guitar then! :lol:
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

User avatar
Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2123
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Hamilton
Has liked: 536 times
Been liked: 188 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Miza »

Meh, I'm still not convinced the packs I got were fake (if they are, it's exceptionally good fake packaging).

But I won't be making a habit of buying strings that way. For the few bucks you save, how long you wait and the risk they never show up (happens a lot with AE) is not worth it.
Nothing to see here.

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 5610
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1157 times
Been liked: 995 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Jay »

Miza wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:53 pm Meh, I'm still not convinced the packs I got were fake (if they are, it's exceptionally good fake packaging).

But I won't be making a habit of buying strings that way. For the few bucks you save, how long you wait and the risk they never show up (happens a lot with AE) is not worth it.
Same experience here. I compared the locally bought Elixers packaging with the AE ones and unable to see the tiniest of difference. Played the same too...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
MiniForklift
Gibson
Posts: 891
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:34 am
Been liked: 166 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by MiniForklift »

In the past I’ve placed 4 or 5 orders through AE and not one of them ever turned up. Never had any issues with eBay regardless of what country it’s being sent from
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

Post Reply