Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Litterick
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Litterick »

Buying a set of strings at a guitar shore guarantees guilt-free admission to the rest of the store. You can try any guitar, because you have spent less than twenty dollars on strings — which shows you are a real customer and a real guitarist, not just some dreamer with time on his hands.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

JoeBlow wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 pm I like the longevity of elixirs, but they feel like they have more tension under the fingers - more resistance, like they're tuned a step up.
Interesting, what gauge do you normally run? It may sound weird but I run their 10s on my Strat and on my 335 copy and the 335 has more string tension than I remember on a Gibson scale… hmmm…
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:52 am
JoeBlow wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 pm I like the longevity of elixirs, but they feel like they have more tension under the fingers - more resistance, like they're tuned a step up.
Interesting, what gauge do you normally run? It may sound weird but I run their 10s on my Strat and on my 335 copy and the 335 has more string tension than I remember on a Gibson scale… hmmm…
I always use 10-46.

I've never put them on myself - they've been on guitars bought new (Tom Anderson are strung with them, new), or from the previous owner.

They feel totally different. Stiffer. You get used to it, but for me, it's noticeably a very different feel, particularly when bending.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

JoeBlow wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:11 am
jeremyb wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:52 am
I always use 10-46.

I've never put them on myself - they've been on guitars bought new (Tom Anderson are strung with them, new), or from the previous owner.

They feel totally different. Stiffer. You get used to it, but for me, it's noticeably a very different feel, particularly when bending.
It’s not as noticeable on the Strat cause of the trem, but yeah on the 335 for sure!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

If you chicken out of AliE try Dave's guitar stuff Ziko brand, I bought a pile of them and to me they are great and cheap.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

matman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:00 pm Yeah I get the point about buying local. The main reason for giving the cheap route a crack was that one of my boys has been getting right into playing (which is awesome) but he seems to sweat battery acid and we've been going through strings like tinfoil at a vaccine protest (which is unawesome).
For a while I was going through a set every week or two.

Even with international shipping and no coupon, I couldn't find anyone in NZ who could beat the price of buying 12 packs of Slinkys from https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/

Found some of them had rust on the strings though, so switched to similar priced but vacuum packed dunlops.

They can take a very long time to arrive.

If you like d'addario, then I think the local 10 packs are pretty hard to beat on price.

https://www.guitarstuff.co.nz/daddarioelectric1.html
https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/D-Addari ... 10-46-10pk

Also yeah, fast fret, wipe down strings and palm rest/muting location after playing.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:01 pm Its likely there will be some OEM leftovers on there so some legit ones... but apart from packaging fails how else would you tell? best to just buy local, if you don't play much its not like its an expensive thing to replace ;)
The Ernie Ball ones have markedly different packaging....ALL of the AliExpress EB strings are fake,.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

JHorner wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:23 am If you like d'addario, then I think the local 10 packs are pretty hard to beat on price.

Interestingly it's cheaper to buy a couple of triple packs from The Rockshop, think I pay around $30 for a triple pack. So a couple of packs (6 sets of D'Addario's) would be pretty much the same price as 5 sets from that site. From memory the ten pack is around the same price

Aside from supporting my local music shop I enjoy having a wander round and checking out the gear, never know what might catch your eye and ignite the GAS
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I usually buy from Dave at Guitarstuff, hes a GC.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I bought some Elixirs off AliExpress once, can confirm they were definitely fake. Packaging was reasonably convincing in pics but looked off in person, and they weren’t even coated like real elixirs. That was a few years back but I always get strings locally now.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

MiniForklift wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:32 am
JHorner wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:23 am If you like d'addario, then I think the local 10 packs are pretty hard to beat on price.

Interestingly it's cheaper to buy a couple of triple packs from The Rockshop, think I pay around $30 for a triple pack. So a couple of packs (6 sets of D'Addario's) would be pretty much the same price as 5 sets from that site. From memory the ten pack is around the same price

Aside from supporting my local music shop I enjoy having a wander round and checking out the gear, never know what might catch your eye and ignite the GAS
I was referring to the 10 pack (10 sets of 6 strings) which is 86.95 and has free shipping

The 3 pack from RS is 29.90, so that is 89.70 for 9 (9 sets of 6 strings), so not cheaper.

The RS does have a cheaper price ($80) on the 10 pack though!

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/daddario-exl ... lec-010-52

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

GrantB wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:26 am
jeremyb wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:01 pm Its likely there will be some OEM leftovers on there so some legit ones... but apart from packaging fails how else would you tell? best to just buy local, if you don't play much its not like its an expensive thing to replace ;)
The Ernie Ball ones have markedly different packaging....ALL of the AliExpress EB strings are fake,.
I guess those are going on the boy's guitar then! :lol:
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Meh, I'm still not convinced the packs I got were fake (if they are, it's exceptionally good fake packaging).

But I won't be making a habit of buying strings that way. For the few bucks you save, how long you wait and the risk they never show up (happens a lot with AE) is not worth it.
Nothing to see here.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Miza wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:53 pm Meh, I'm still not convinced the packs I got were fake (if they are, it's exceptionally good fake packaging).

But I won't be making a habit of buying strings that way. For the few bucks you save, how long you wait and the risk they never show up (happens a lot with AE) is not worth it.
Same experience here. I compared the locally bought Elixers packaging with the AE ones and unable to see the tiniest of difference. Played the same too...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

In the past I’ve placed 4 or 5 orders through AE and not one of them ever turned up. Never had any issues with eBay regardless of what country it’s being sent from
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”