The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3881
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Welly
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 353 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by WellyBlues »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:01 pm
vinylguy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:36 pm
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:34 am

Many. They're called Sigmas.
I am aware that many Sigma models are copies of Martin Models (similar to the old Shenandoah models), I dont see them trying to pass themselves off as genuine Martins though so not the Clones to which he refers.
You are entirely correct. I stand guilty of flippancy.
That's unconscionable! :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

User avatar
Bg
Site Admin
Posts: 43269
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:13 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 2261 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by Bg »

WellyBlues wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:19 pm
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:01 pm
vinylguy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:36 pm

I am aware that many Sigma models are copies of Martin Models (similar to the old Shenandoah models), I dont see them trying to pass themselves off as genuine Martins though so not the Clones to which he refers.
You are entirely correct. I stand guilty of flippancy.
That's unconscionable! :mrgreen:
Unconsciousnable!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

User avatar
WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3881
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Welly
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 353 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by WellyBlues »

Bg wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:49 pm
WellyBlues wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:19 pm
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:01 pm

You are entirely correct. I stand guilty of flippancy.
That's unconscionable! :mrgreen:
Unconsciousnable!
BG!!! stop breaking my Google search!
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

User avatar
Bg
Site Admin
Posts: 43269
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:13 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 2261 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by Bg »

WellyBlues wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:00 pm
Bg wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:49 pm
WellyBlues wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:19 pm

That's unconscionable! :mrgreen:
Unconsciousnable!
BG!!! stop breaking my Google search!
flippanunconscionablecy!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

User avatar
sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 8257
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Wire Wrapper
Has liked: 1207 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 41102
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 7723 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by jeremyb »

"johnson" chortle chortle chortle readers.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

User avatar
KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2979
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:03 pm
Location: Orewa
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by KNNZ »

Lowden S03 Ed Sheeran for sale on FB for $1650 https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZGuita ... 0768332550
no idea if its a bargain or not...

Image

User avatar
codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 6730
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:44 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 3485 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by codedog »

KNNZ wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:40 am Lowden S03 Ed Sheeran for sale on FB for $1650 https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZGuita ... 0768332550
no idea if its a bargain or not...

Image
That's a "Sheeran by Lowden" guitar, the budget range. I think it has solid top and laminate back/sides. Doesn't feel like a bargain to me.

User avatar
NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2912
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:05 pm
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by NippleWrestler »

$2099 new. Not an amazing deal. $2k gets you an all solid Larrivee, Taylor, etc all day long.

User avatar
olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 5561
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Awkland
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by olegmcnoleg »

codedog wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:00 am
KNNZ wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:40 am Lowden S03 Ed Sheeran for sale on FB for $1650 https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZGuita ... 0768332550
no idea if its a bargain or not...

Image
That's a "Sheeran by Lowden" guitar, the budget range. I think it has solid top and laminate back/sides. Doesn't feel like a bargain to me.
I owned one of these briefly. I think they are very well made, and the sound is great. The nut string spacing is not to my liking, but apart from that, a step up from the Taylor GSMini, for sure. That’s its niche.

But no, not a bargain

User avatar
Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7787
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:35 pm
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:35 pm I'm Gassing for a Nylon crossover acoustic electric; pretty limited field, especially in NZ.

Obviously there's the Lowden Jazz but thought I'd check out Goodall. I've only met a couple of Goodalls but one of them is in my thoughts almost every day.
And yes, they do one!
https://reverb.com/item/66966315-goodal ... r-cocobolo



Sigh. :(
This maybe?
https://www.bidbud.co.nz/4330444869
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

User avatar
Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 22753
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:13 pm
Location: Orcland
Has liked: 1016 times
Been liked: 2478 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:28 pm
Slowy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:35 pm I'm Gassing for a Nylon crossover acoustic electric; pretty limited field, especially in NZ.

Obviously there's the Lowden Jazz but thought I'd check out Goodall. I've only met a couple of Goodalls but one of them is in my thoughts almost every day.
And yes, they do one!
https://reverb.com/item/66966315-goodal ... r-cocobolo



Sigh. :(
This maybe?
https://www.bidbud.co.nz/4330444869
I need to play a few. It's hard to distinguish between a classical with a wide neck and zero radius fretboard and a nylon crossover with a narrower radiused board.
I want the latter but the few I've met are spendy.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

User avatar
olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 5561
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Awkland
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:29 pm
Jay wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:28 pm
Slowy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:35 pm I'm Gassing for a Nylon crossover acoustic electric; pretty limited field, especially in NZ.

Obviously there's the Lowden Jazz but thought I'd check out Goodall. I've only met a couple of Goodalls but one of them is in my thoughts almost every day.
And yes, they do one!
https://reverb.com/item/66966315-goodal ... r-cocobolo



Sigh. :(
This maybe?
https://www.bidbud.co.nz/4330444869
I need to play a few. It's hard to distinguish between a classical with a wide neck and zero radius fretboard and a nylon crossover with a narrower radiused board.
I want the latter but the few I've met are spendy.
The 1000 and above Walden models are really excellent sleeper guitars, all solid, and high quality timbers. The 500s are much more budget conscious: functional & decent but not awesome.

User avatar
KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2979
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:03 pm
Location: Orewa
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by KNNZ »

oh my world!! did I see the price correctly?!?!?! this makes Gibson Murphy Labs historic reissues seem affordable
Slowy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:35 pm I'm Gassing for a Nylon crossover acoustic electric; pretty limited field, especially in NZ.

Obviously there's the Lowden Jazz but thought I'd check out Goodall. I've only met a couple of Goodalls but one of them is in my thoughts almost every day.
And yes, they do one!
https://reverb.com/item/66966315-goodal ... r-cocobolo



Sigh. :(

User avatar
codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 6730
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:44 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 3485 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by codedog »

KNNZ wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:59 am oh my world!! did I see the price correctly?!?!?! this makes Gibson Murphy Labs historic reissues seem affordable
Slowy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:35 pm I'm Gassing for a Nylon crossover acoustic electric; pretty limited field, especially in NZ.

Obviously there's the Lowden Jazz but thought I'd check out Goodall. I've only met a couple of Goodalls but one of them is in my thoughts almost every day.
And yes, they do one!
https://reverb.com/item/66966315-goodal ... r-cocobolo



Sigh. :(
If anyone asks me how I can make a guitar sound like a 10K guitar, I say give me a $30K guitar and let me play it for 3 minutes.

Post Reply