The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1413 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by robthemac »

Delayman wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:00 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:55 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:53 pm

But Jack Johnson uses them so they must be good :rofl:
I have some quiet love for JJ, and if I were a singer-songwriter on $2000 budget they'd be hard to look past. Just don't try playing fingerstyle...
Why do you say that about Fingerstyle?
The ones I played back in my salesman days were in general pretty mid-scooped, especially low-mids. They were mostly Tasmanian blackwood back and sides, can't remember what they used for the tops. Really uneven frequency balance. Great for a vocalist to sit in the mix. Not great for trying to emphasize a melody on the D and G strings (which is most of what I was doing back then).
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:17 pm

I have some quiet love for JJ, and if I were a singer-songwriter on $2000 budget they'd be hard to look past. Just don't try playing fingerstyle...
The ones I played back in my salesman days were in general pretty mid-scooped, especially low-mids. They were mostly Tasmanian blackwood back and sides, can't remember what they used for the tops. Really uneven frequency balance. Great for a vocalist to sit in the mix. Not great for trying to emphasize a melody on the D and G strings (which is most of what I was doing back then).
Damn, I was gonna buy that heavily discounted Cole Clark guitar but that's my current phase as a fingerstyle guitarist.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 346 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Listen to Lloyd Spiegel, he has a Cole Clark signature model, and he is a stunning player. The Double Live album is great but it's mainly electric. Tangled Brew, This Time Tomorrow, Timber and Steel albums are all on Spotify and will give you a taste.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:55 pm

Damn, I was gonna buy that heavily discounted Cole Clark guitar but that's my current phase as a fingerstyle guitarist.
I wouldn't want to over-generalise. Different woods, different body shapes, natural variability etc. Lots of people love that sound. But make sure you play one first.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:26 pm

I wouldn't want to over-generalise. Different woods, different body shapes, natural variability etc. Lots of people love that sound. But make sure you play one first.
Agree with this, though I think smaller one (forgot the name) is a really cool band guitar and the Fat Lady does have plenty of bass. Still, the sound from all of them is way too 'dry' for my taste.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:49 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:26 pm

Agree with this, though I think smaller one (forgot the name) is a really cool band guitar and the Fat Lady does have plenty of bass. Still, the sound from all of them is way too 'dry' for my taste.

I wonder if what I'm describing as a scoop in the low-mids region is what you're calling dryness.

Yep, heaps of variability between the different shapes and woods. Likely to find something for most tastes.

Set-ups from the factory were generally spot on. Never had reliability issues, and if they're built to survive in Australia I'd expect them to survive just fine over here. Taylors less so.

I think they're lovely guitars. But if you buy one with the sound of a D-18 in your head, you're gonna be disappointed.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Delayman »

Played a couple of cole Clark guitars for a decent amount of time today. The smaller body one had the balance issue you’re talking about. The d and g strings disappear in open
chords up the neck.

But the fat lady dreadnaught was great. Musicworks ran a sale from Monday to Friday and wouldn’t entertain applying any discount today. That’s pretty annoying to me as it was a $500 saving.

The search continues
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

I was listening to a podcast where Jim Kimball who plays electric and acoustic for Reba McEntire said he used a Kemper to profile his whole acoustic chain. Never thought of that as a use for a Kemper. Interesting.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Delayman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:07 pm I was listening to a podcast where Jim Kimball who plays electric and acoustic for Reba McEntire said he used a Kemper to profile his whole acoustic chain. Never thought of that as a use for a Kemper. Interesting.
Here's an example of using IRs (via DI) to mimic an acoustic guitar being mic'd with a small diaphragm condensor. Pretty close.

For studio recording, I would prefer using a mic. It sounds pretty close but using a mic sounds better, hands down. But it's useful in reducing possible feedback sources in a live performance whilst preserving the tonal quality of a mic'd up acoustic guitar.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1627 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Post by Jay »

Get a haircut and get a real job...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 1285 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Delayman wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:31 pm

Played a couple of cole Clark guitars for a decent amount of time today. The smaller body one had the balance issue you’re talking about. The d and g strings disappear in open
chords up the neck.

But the fat lady dreadnaught was great. Musicworks ran a sale from Monday to Friday and wouldn’t entertain applying any discount today. That’s pretty annoying to me as it was a $500 saving.

The search continues
Yeh that does seem a little short sighted

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

Finally decided to pull the trigger on a Cole Clark yesterday. The one I got sounds very nice acoustically and plugged in sounds great (as long as I cut a lot of bass).

But.....It has a grounding buzz. Not something I noticed at the shop, but through my foldback set up and interface a very definite hum that disappears if I grip the volume knob. Very uncool. If I reach inside and touch any (plastic) connector to the preamp I can massively increase the buzz. Sigh. back to the shop.

EDIT: once again the culprit is dirty power at my place. Could not replicate the issue at the shop, even at high volume standing under flouro lights. Next stop: power conditioner….
Last edited by Delayman on Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gitar »

Delayman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:19 am Finally decided to pull the trigger on a Cole Clark yesterday. The one I got sounds very nice acoustically and plugged in sounds great (as long as I cut a lot of bass).

But.....It has a grounding buzz. Not something I noticed at the shop, but through my foldback set up and interface a very definite hum that disappears if I grip the volume knob. Very uncool. If I reach inside and touch any (plastic) connector to the preamp I can massively increase the buzz. Sigh. back to the shop.
Bro that is not a norm for Cole Clark, I garuntee they would rather have it back than it lives its life out with work arounds given them a bad name. Of course they focus on Acoustics, but they also gting making a name for simple electrics, much like PRS in the old days I guess, Im sure they will make it right by you come what may.