The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hercules
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by hercules »

I miss my Taylor 410 dearly :( best acoustic I’ve played.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 346 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Slowy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:53 am
Delayman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:50 am
olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:00 am I find ovations are like three-year-olds: they won’t sit still on your lap. but yeah, they seem to be really out of vogue right now. I have a friend who has one of the very first ones made, with a huge body, and it sounds great.

There’s a reason all those acoustic performers use a Taylor. I do too, in a band situation.
Interesting on the Taylor. I played quite a few yesterday and didn’t fall I love with any. Then I saw a Lowden on trademe….and realised I’m just catching acoustic GAS.

Started out looked for a small bodied, mid freq acoustic, and spent half the night looking at reviews of a huge bodied resonant guitar.
My Taylor GS7 is steadily turning into a superb guitar. But as an amplified performance tool, it's as close to perfect and trouble free as you could wish.
I've never met a Taylor that stirred my passions. They seem to build respect over time with their willing, hassle free competence.
The Telecaster of the acoustic world? :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Thats a bit harsh on telecasters isnt it ? Have never found a Taylor I liked enough to take home but curiously have had a couple of Breedloves that I have. It should be noted that I have zero interest in onboard electronics in Acoustic guitars: I have a couple of lectrics for that...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

vinylguy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:16 pm Thats a bit harsh on telecasters isnt it ? Have never found a Taylor I liked enough to take home but curiously have had a couple of Breedloves that I have. It should be noted that I have zero interest in onboard electronics in Acoustic guitars: I have a couple of lectrics for that...
Without onboard electrics, I'd never look at a Taylor either.

And it's OK to be harsh on Telecasters. Teles don't care.
Anyway, the only people who diss them are those unequal to the task of playing them. :moresarc:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1413 times

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:10 pm
vinylguy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:16 pm Thats a bit harsh on telecasters isnt it ? Have never found a Taylor I liked enough to take home but curiously have had a couple of Breedloves that I have. It should be noted that I have zero interest in onboard electronics in Acoustic guitars: I have a couple of lectrics for that...
Without onboard electrics, I'd never look at a Taylor either.

And it's OK to be harsh on Telecasters. Teles don't care.
Anyway, the only people who diss them are those unequal to the task of playing them. :moresarc:
I think Taylor acoustic guitars and PRS electric guitars have a lot in common. Forward-thinking, innovative, reliable, well-made, generally very pretty. Bloody easy to sell them, especially compared to a factory Martin with the action of a lap-steel and resonance of a concrete block.

But the lack of flaws and quirks can make them a bit soul -less. And you know that the Martin will just open up with time.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

robthemac wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:34 pm
I think Taylor acoustic guitars and PRS electric guitars have a lot in common. Forward-thinking, innovative, reliable, well-made, generally very pretty. Bloody easy to sell them, especially compared to a factory Martin with the action of a lap-steel and resonance of a concrete block.
PRS acoustics and Taylor electrics are not too shabby either :-)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:06 pm
PRS acoustics and Taylor electrics are not too shabby either :-)
For many years a Taylor Solidbody Custom was my only electric. Then I joined this forum.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Did anybody jump in on this deal on Cole Clark guitars from Musicworks? There's also a clearance item that's nearly half price.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (47.16 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (690.67 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Post by jeremyb »

My Taylor is the best acoustic I own!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

But the lack of flaws and quirks can make them a bit soul -less. And you know that the Martin will just open up with time.
Completely agree and you highlighted something I ponder often, " the lack of flaws and quirks can make them a bit soul -less".

I really have this issue with Suhr. They are superb instruments by any measure but I find them cold and soul-less. They have no flaws, no quirks and I just can't relate to them because of it.

My Taylor is starting to develop some character and I'm delighted. But even if it didn't, its willingness to be plugged into whatever is handy and get on with the job with no fuss makes it a prized possession.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Delayman »

jhyang549 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:40 pm Did anybody jump in on this deal on Cole Clark guitars from Musicworks? There's also a clearance item that's nearly half price.
Wow that’s a pretty big discount. Everything I read is pretty positive about the plugged in tone. I did stumble across an Nz luthiers site grumbling about the way they make them will make it hard to remove a top and/or reset necks. But given I’ve never had to do that on any guitar own seems like not a major.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Delayman wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:43 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:40 pm Did anybody jump in on this deal on Cole Clark guitars from Musicworks? There's also a clearance item that's nearly half price.
Wow that’s a pretty big discount. Everything I read is pretty positive about the plugged in tone. I did stumble across an Nz luthiers site grumbling about the way they make them will make it hard to remove a top and/or reset necks. But given I’ve never had to do that on any guitar own seems like not a major.
Cole Clark guitars are their own thing. Their use of uncommon tonewoods makes them sound nothing like traditional North American acoustics. Cool sound, but would be a hell of a shock to anyone who buys them blind.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:51 pm
Cole Clark guitars are their own thing. Their use of uncommon tonewoods makes them sound nothing like traditional North American acoustics. Cool sound, but would be a hell of a shock to anyone who buys them blind.
But Jack Johnson uses them so they must be good :rofl:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:53 pm

I have some quiet love for JJ, and if I were a singer-songwriter on $2000 budget they'd be hard to look past. Just don't try playing fingerstyle...

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Delayman »

robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:55 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:53 pm

I have some quiet love for JJ, and if I were a singer-songwriter on $2000 budget they'd be hard to look past. Just don't try playing fingerstyle...
Why do you say that about Fingerstyle?
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...